Why use an USB/memory/stick/pendrive etc etc

starobrno1

8 posts in this topic

Many of the guides here in one way or another seem to include you have to use an USB memory or whatever you wanna call them.

What´s the advantage compared to the "old way" installing with the 132 boot method or from a working Leo with a restored Mac OSX Install dmg?

Well since nobody replys here I can tell you there is none, you can do it with a 132 boot for SL and even do the first run of the installation using a restored dmg and your old leo, just skip drivers and your installation will be good. To boot up and finnish the installation you´d need the 132 boot disc ofcourse.

It´s all about making that SL stick to the harddrive then go on from there, which way you go from there to get whatever you need to get working bonjour etc etc well it´s up to you. I found a way that works for my hardware and probably other too that gives you a basic platform.

There is really a need for a good old amateur nob type of guide for SL here. Not all of us are untouched Vanilla fans, me I just need my hack for making music, surf the internet, email and pay bills etc etc.

Well since nobody replys here I can tell you there is none, you can do it with a 132 boot for SL and even do the first run of the installation using a restored dmg and your old leo, just skip drivers and your installation will be good. To boot up and finnish the installation you´d need the 132 boot disc ofcourse.

It´s all about making that SL stick to the harddrive then go on from there, which way you go from there to get whatever you need to get working bonjour etc etc well it´s up to you. I found a way that works for my hardware and probably other too that gives you a basic platform.

There is really a need for a good old amateur nob type of guide for SL here. Not all of us are untouched Vanilla fans, me I just need my hack for making music, surf the internet, email and pay bills etc etc.

I see two main advantages to using the USB stick/pen-drive.

1) It's faster than using an optical drive (DVD) during boot and during the install. If you only plan to ever do one install that may not appear to be much of an advantage. However, you may find that more than one attempt is required to get the result desired and then it becomes more of an advantage.

2) Building and burning boot-132 type pre-boot media is much more time consuming than tweaking the Extra folder on a USB drive. My experience has been that it takes a few attempts to get the correct set of kext, kernel etc.. to get the retail install media working correctly. you may end up re-booting the system the same number of times, but it is faster/easier to modify the content of the USB drive than to burn pre-boot cd.

For me, it's just a matter of personal preference. The USB drive and pre-boot media approaches all accomplish about the same task. I just think the USB drive is cleaner and more flexible.

I see two main advantages to using the USB stick/pen-drive.

1) It's faster than using an optical drive (DVD) during boot and during the install. If you only plan to ever do one install that may not appear to be much of an advantage. However, you may find that more than one attempt is required to get the result desired and then it becomes more of an advantage.

2) Building and burning boot-132 type pre-boot media is much more time consuming than tweaking the Extra folder on a USB drive. My experience has been that it takes a few attempts to get the correct set of kext, kernel etc.. to get the retail install media working correctly. you may end up re-booting the system the same number of times, but it is faster/easier to modify the content of the USB drive than to burn pre-boot cd.

For me, it's just a matter of personal preference. The USB drive and pre-boot media approaches all accomplish about the same task. I just think the USB drive is cleaner and more flexible.

And plus the ease of writing and rewriting stuff on a flash drive is there. And they are so cheap now! And doesn't require a DLDVD.

Yeah you´re right in a way but it goes faster and has less steps involved if you just have to install once to one place = HD and tweak it to your liking/needs, clear caches, repair permissions, reboot and then you´re done.

If you absolutley want to install using a restored retail dmg it´s best doing that from your Leo 10.5.xxx or if you have a SL install up running (for some reason it´s best to exclude printers then). That´s for sure the fastest way, you´ll have your SL up running under one hour.

What I mean is these guides here gets to technical and complecated for the new guys. Why not let em have the pleasure of tasting SL and in a while if they feel like digging deeper in to this, well they probably will do that.

A basic good running install you can always tweak any way you like later on.

I used a USB stick as my target drive because I didn't have a second hard drive to do the SL install onto. Once I had a workable bootable SL install on my USB drive, I was able to boot from it, pop in my SL disc and then do the install onto my real hard drive, tweak it, boot from the HD and then let Time Machine restore all my stuff. I've done this on two machines, about to do a third and it's worked great from the get go.

I used a USB stick as my target drive because I didn't have a second hard drive to do the SL install onto. Once I had a workable bootable SL install on my USB drive, I was able to boot from it, pop in my SL disc and then do the install onto my real hard drive, tweak it, boot from the HD and then let Time Machine restore all my stuff. I've done this on two machines, about to do a third and it's worked great from the get go.

i have 2 hdd in my rig and have the first configured with system reserved>win7>leo>data partitions and tried a couple of times using various guides to install snow leopard to the second empty hdd from leo.

each time it mullered my bootloader on the first hdd win7 bootloader with osx entry via easybcd beta 2.

i didn't point any of the install to this drive, simply installed chameleon and snow leo to the second drive, so started getting a little irate.

in the end i partitioned the second drive snow leo>data>mac install dvd(10gb) and restored the retail dvd to the last partion. Made that partition bootable by installing chameleon and then installed from there.

win7 and leo now booting fine from first hdd and snow leo booting from the chameleon bootloader installed on my leo partition :)

god knows why it didn't work for me from leo but it didn't.

benefit of the way i did it in the end was for preinstall tweaking and reinstalling if the tweaking after install went bandy

Well I also have a backup Leo install on an 8 gig USB stick just in case but that was not what I was thinking of here.

Seems to me looking at what you say here you must have at least two harddrives since you´re using Time Machine to restore, so doing it the way I do you would´nt have to go via your USB stick. In other words you don´t need an USB stick to install Snow Leo if you have two harddrives.

So far doing it the way I do it seems it´s best if one of the harddrives are an USB harddrive though. Probably cause SL for some reason if you don´t have the "right" kext in there (which means you´d have to make your own distro) seems to see all harddisks as external USB. This is just a wild guess so if someone knows better please jump in here and say how it really is.

I don´t know much about multibooting but everytime I´m about to install a new OSX I always disconnect any harddrive I wanna keep "safe" before I go on. If I have to use a harddrive that´s already running OSX and I´m not sure if it´s going to "make it" I use my USB stick with Leo on.

One way you could have done it is disconnect you "first" harddrive gone through with the installation the 132 boot way. Then if you could´nt multiboot no more you´d still be able to hit F8 or F10/12 or whatever your bios says to choose first boot harddrive. I mean just to get the taste of SL and then if you still want it take it from there to get your multibooting back.

To me when it comes to multibooting and you´re having your OSes on sep hardrives you can just as well use your bios.

Really cool you found a way that worked for you though, might be something to share with the guys here if you have´nt already.

i have 2 hdd in my rig and have the first configured with system reserved>win7>leo>data partitions and tried a couple of times using various guides to install snow leopard to the second empty hdd from leo.

each time it mullered my bootloader on the first hdd win7 bootloader with osx entry via easybcd beta 2.

i didn't point any of the install to this drive, simply installed chameleon and snow leo to the second drive, so started getting a little irate.

in the end i partitioned the second drive snow leo>data>mac install dvd(10gb) and restored the retail dvd to the last partion. Made that partition bootable by installing chameleon and then installed from there.

win7 and leo now booting fine from first hdd and snow leo booting from the chameleon bootloader installed on my leo partition ;)

god knows why it didn't work for me from leo but it didn't.

benefit of the way i did it in the end was for preinstall tweaking and reinstalling if the tweaking after install went bandy