GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

PS, SBMac, the problem us HDMI'ers have is not likely caused by our method.

When Stell and I did a troubleshoot we used v1 and v3 both to test it.

Apple fixed a few things about their video drivers, and I think maybe broke a few others.

It is likely that they threw some Content Protection code in the mix as they should soon address Blu-Ray.

I had a problem with Autodesk Maya not being able to display shaders properly. (Among a few other things)

Updating to 10.6.2 resolved those issues, and it's likely they broke something too.

(Maya uses OpenGL, and even Mac users had this problem with Leopard)

I love Apple to death but I f'ing hate it when an update that addresses so many changes, causes problems as well. Just a whine or b!tch of mine, I know it affects a lot of companies but come on, test before this is released, seriously. I have been wondering about the video drivers myself, and wondering what will happen when I update my bootloader and FakeSMC. Going to do that tomorrow....

Advertisement
I love Apple to death but I f'ing hate it when an update that addresses so many changes, causes problems as well. Just a whine or b!tch of mine, I know it affects a lot of companies but come on, test before this is released, seriously. I have been wondering about the video drivers myself, and wondering what will happen when I update my bootloader and FakeSMC. Going to do that tomorrow....

Trust me, we see eye to eye friend.

When SL first hit and this problem with the shaders in Maya were apparent Apple blamed Autodesk.

They were saying that Autodesk was using old code and needed to update it to the new stuff. (Cocoa? I think)

For months the blame game was it-tag.

The question for me was how is it possible that Leopard runs the program fine and SL doesn't?

Then all of a sudden .6.2 hit and it worked? lol!

Neither my 25" Hanns G, nor my 37" Sharp TV work using DVI:HDMI on this build's card.

Glad I didn't grab a card with HDMI out I guess?

I whole-heartedly await the update that fixes HDMI and retains functionality in Maya!

I feel sure I have a VGA lead in the attic but I would have to buy a DVI > HDMI lead so can't really justify that.

I'll report back tonight with an update.

So a bit of an update, the good and the bad...

Currently with the V3 installer, we have Chameleon Bootloader RC3, so we do have a relatively new update. The Bad... I updated to FakeSMC v2.5 as well as Chameleon Bootloader RC4. The bootloader works persay, in that the graphics enabler does not. Meaning it does not detect the graphics card and you get a blank screen. I am reading quite a bit through their forums and finding similar things, but should be resolved in a newer RC hopefully V5. FakeSMC on the other hand causes a kernel panic and for some reason I can't find any kind of error log on this. Maybe when we see a newer bootloader we can see what Stella can do with FakeSMC and the bootloader together.

As for the graphics problem with DVI-VGA or DVI-HDMI I think I am narrowing it down to a conflict between the bootloader and the graphics drivers in OS X. The drivers will run the card and help with detecting the displays, but! since we have to use the bootloader to inject the graphics card info into OS X, there becomes the problem without getting too technical. A newer bootloader should help in this and quite possibly correct the issue, but the most recent bootloader does not seem to want to work properly, D@MN!

SBMac, that's potentially good news!

I'll look forward to the resolution (pun intended) of the problem.

I pretty much don't run my hack right now because I have to use VGA on my beautiful 25" 1080p monitor. :-\

So a bit of an update, the good and the bad...

Currently with the V3 installer, we have Chameleon Bootloader RC3, so we do have a relatively new update. The Bad... I updated to FakeSMC v2.5 as well as Chameleon Bootloader RC4. The bootloader works persay, in that the graphics enabler does not. Meaning it does not detect the graphics card and you get a blank screen. I am reading quite a bit through their forums and finding similar things, but should be resolved in a newer RC hopefully V5. FakeSMC on the other hand causes a kernel panic and for some reason I can't find any kind of error log on this. Maybe when we see a newer bootloader we can see what Stella can do with FakeSMC and the bootloader together.

As for the graphics problem with DVI-VGA or DVI-HDMI I think I am narrowing it down to a conflict between the bootloader and the graphics drivers in OS X. The drivers will run the card and help with detecting the displays, but! since we have to use the bootloader to inject the graphics card info into OS X, there becomes the problem without getting too technical. A newer bootloader should help in this and quite possibly correct the issue, but the most recent bootloader does not seem to want to work properly, D@MN!

Is this problem related to specific cards? I want to get an lcd monitor and hook it up to my video card (geforce 9500GT), it has dual dvi connectors. At the present I have a vga monitor hooked up to the dvi connector using a vga adapter, & it is working. Will I be able to hook up an LCD?

Is this problem related to specific cards? I want to get an lcd monitor and hook it up to my video card (geforce 9500GT), it has dual dvi connectors. At the present I have a vga monitor hooked up to the dvi connector using a vga adapter, & it is working. Will I be able to hook up an LCD?

It isn't LCD specific. It really seems model specific.

The problem isn't DVI afaik either. I have a 19" Hanns G that hooks up with DVI fine.

But my 25" Hanns G only has VGA and HDMI. The VGA works, the HDMI doesn't.

(Nor does it work via HDMI on my TV)

If your LCD has DVI it should work fine. If it has VGA it can definitely work.

It isn't LCD specific. It really seems model specific.

The problem isn't DVI afaik either. I have a 19" Hanns G that hooks up with DVI fine.

But my 25" Hanns G only has VGA and HDMI. The VGA works, the HDMI doesn't.

(Nor does it work via HDMI on my TV)

If your LCD has DVI it should work fine. If it has VGA it can definitely work.

Ok Thanks ,

I just ordered a dell 22" it has DVI & VGA hookups. 149.00 plus free shipping.

As said this could be monitor specific but for me it's...

DVI = OK, but not coming out of sleep.

DVI>VGA = OK, comes out of sleep fine.

Thanks for the research folks, didn't get time to test last night but will ASAP.

Does anyone have this problem:

With fire fox open my UD3P hackintosh will not fall asleep. It does sleep with the forceable methods (apple/sleep, or a scheduled sleep at 6am for instance)... I have also tried this with safari running and indeed safari also causes my hackintosh to stay awake... Thanks!

I found three posts from Stell's blog that may address some issues lately.

An Update for the VooDooHDA: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/31342077...-v2-5-3-updated

HDMI Reference: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/24015973...th-nvidia-cards

Update FakeSMC since V3 installer: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/25117038...esmc-v2-5-is-go

------

Not sure about the other kext: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/243965149/kext-post-update

I found three posts from Stell's blog that may address some issues lately.

An Update for the VooDooHDA: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/31342077...-v2-5-3-updated

HDMI Reference: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/24015973...th-nvidia-cards

Update FakeSMC since V3 installer: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/25117038...esmc-v2-5-is-go

------

Not sure about the other kext: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/243965149/kext-post-update

If I'm going to be of any value to this forum, I'm going to have to learn the proper way to add these different kexts and what not to my extra folder. So here is a screen shot of what is in my extra folder now. If anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction, of what to do to test these kexts I would be glad to contribute to the cause. :P Here's the screen shot:

ssextrafolder.jpg

10.6.2 on Lifehacker Hackintosh = No Boot

I accidentally installed 10.6.2 on my Hackintosh (based specifically on the hardware from the Lifehacker post with one change - I am using a GIGABYTE GV-N98TSL-1GI 1GB silent video card)

I was going to run the 10.6.2 combo updater, but of course, that can only be installed on the current boot drive.

I have the Stella's V3 installed. Everything was working fine before.

Luckily I have a clone from a month ago, so I can boot the machine, but I would like to resurrect the real desired boot drive. Any suggestions?

10.6.2 on Lifehacker Hackintosh = No Boot

I accidentally installed 10.6.2 on my Hackintosh (based specifically on the hardware from the Lifehacker post with one change - I am using a GIGABYTE GV-N98TSL-1GI 1GB silent video card)

I was going to run the 10.6.2 combo updater, but of course, that can only be installed on the current boot drive.

I have the Stella's V3 installed. Everything was working fine before.

Luckily I have a clone from a month ago, so I can boot the machine, but I would like to resurrect the real desired boot drive. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, I can't comment on your machine, as many things could have happened.

The only thing that most of us could suggest is a roundabout.

When I ran into a problem I booted from the thumbdrive install, use Disk Utility

to make a new partition, install Sl to it.

Use the second install to delete the /Extra folder from your original install.

Re-install the v3 to the original partition.

Cross your fingers.

Otherwise you'll have to install on top of the install you have now to try and clear it up.

It should save your data, though most settings and prefs will disappear.

If I'm going to be of any value to this forum, I'm going to have to learn the proper way to add these different kexts and what not to my extra folder. So here is a screen shot of what is in my extra folder now. If anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction, of what to do to test these kexts I would be glad to contribute to the cause. :) Here's the screen shot:

ssextrafolder.jpg

I was asking a similar question in post 637 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=187440&view=findpost&p=1339302).

I believe that kextUtility can help with this. However, note that we probably do NOT want to use voodoo audio. Our audio is done via DSDT and with LegacyHDA.kext. This is considered the best method and is working fine. The voodoo kext is for other audio chipsets or if one can't do the DSDT hack.

Updating the FakeSMC might be useful to us as might updating the chameleon bootloader. As a whole, a good explanation of how to add or update a kext in our Extensions.kext would be appreciated.

-Ed

Greetings,

I finally got all my pieces in and installed and in the process of downloading the combo update.

A few issues I'm workin with are:

1. Display issues -- im usin a 19lcd and the color is weird colored lol. Anyway, hope the update fixes the color issues, if not then I most like will purchase a new screen :) anyone have any suggestions on display monitors?

2. Had a weird issue with the network card. I forgot to put the card in the bottom slot. switch to bottom and still had no connection. Then, miraculously the card started to connect to my router. So im in the process dling now....

what else.....other than that the process was nice and breezy.

Holla back....

SPecs

I used everything described in the lifehacker build except:

Computer Tower

Power Supply

2.83ghz processor

Extra fans

lemme know if u have any suggestions to my problems. Thanks everyone! shiet.....everyone!

1. Display issues -- im usin a 19lcd and the color is weird colored lol. Anyway, hope the update fixes the color issues, if not then I most like will purchase a new screen :rolleyes: anyone have any suggestions on display monitors?

Sorry friend, but that is absolutely *nothing* to go on.

Be helpful when asking for help, ie:

a 19" Sony blahblah connected via DVI closest to the motherboard and I checked to make

sure the connector was solidly in on both sides twice.

See what I mean? Narrow down the variables.

What can I do to enable both PCI slots in this build? I need to have firewire and ethernet. Or, should I be looking for a PCIe versions of this hardware? The SIIG FW400 PCI card I have is a Texas Instrument chipset and should be natively supported by OSX.

Perhaps I should remove the kext for the FW card from a Kalyway 10.5.2 installation where it works, then place it in my 10.6.2 installation?

Sorry friend, but that is absolutely *nothing* to go on.

Be helpful when asking for help, ie:

a 19" Sony blahblah connected via DVI closest to the motherboard and I checked to make

sure the connector was solidly in on both sides twice.

See what I mean? Narrow down the variables.

lol sorry bout the non details.

anyway im hooked up by dvi to vga conversion to the 19in LCD hyundai L91A monitor. The color has come back and everything seems normal but its prolly a compatibility issue.

On another note the ethernet card seems to be working no problem.

I have another question as I am new to Macs in general. Is there a way to disable the network card so that my Hac isnt connected to the internet?

Thanks Coh, I will try to be more thorough from now on.

Peace

I was asking a similar question in post 637 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=187440&view=findpost&p=1339302).

I believe that kextUtility can help with this. However, note that we probably do NOT want to use voodoo audio. Our audio is done via DSDT and with LegacyHDA.kext. This is considered the best method and is working fine. The voodoo kext is for other audio chipsets or if one can't do the DSDT hack.

Updating the FakeSMC might be useful to us as might updating the chameleon bootloader. As a whole, a good explanation of how to add or update a kext in our Extensions.kext would be appreciated.

-Ed

For everyone looking,

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

This is the utility you can use for installing .kext's properly in OS X 10.6, and it give a break down of how it works. Putting .kext's into the extras folder does not do anything, they have to be put into the extensions folder properly and this will do it.

What can I do to enable both PCI slots in this build? I need to have firewire and ethernet. Or, should I be looking for a PCIe versions of this hardware? The SIIG FW400 PCI card I have is a Texas Instrument chipset and should be natively supported by OSX.

Perhaps I should remove the kext for the FW card from a Kalyway 10.5.2 installation where it works, then place it in my 10.6.2 installation?

Both PCI slots should be working off the bat, I have 2 cards I am using and they work just fine. Try re-seating the cards and see what happens. Also, do not install a 10.5.2 kext into 10.6.2. It has the possibility of instantly bricking your system. Only use .kext you know will work with 10.6.

lol sorry bout the non details.

anyway im hooked up by dvi to vga conversion to the 19in LCD hyundai L91A monitor. The color has come back and everything seems normal but its prolly a compatibility issue.

On another note the ethernet card seems to be working no problem.

I have another question as I am new to Macs in general. Is there a way to disable the network card so that my Hac isnt connected to the internet?

Thanks Coh, I will try to be more thorough from now on.

Peace

The best way for the monitor to work is a straight DVI to - DVI connection. A lot of people here have been having problems you adaptors or HDMI cables. Its looking like a graphics driver and the bootloader need updates to work properly. You can also disable the ethernet port from within the Networking Control Panel.

I'm having the exact same problem with the PCI slots. Only the bottom one is working. In the top PCI slot, the card there, which is a TL-WN851N wireless adapter is seated properly and the proper kext is installed - Mac doesn't detect it. I also tried the network card in the same slot (which is guaranteed working) - Mac doesn't detect it there, only in the bottom slot does it work.

I really would like to get this fixed so I can use wireless. Any suggestions?

By the way, I'm using the exact build in the Lifehacker guide. The only thing different is I've added a wireless card, the TL-WN851N. I had zero problems with installing Snow Leopard and I'm running 10.6.2.

For everyone looking,

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

This is the utility you can use for installing .kext's properly in OS X 10.6, and it give a break down of how it works. Putting .kext's into the extras folder does not do anything, they have to be put into the extensions folder properly and this will do it.

Both PCI slots should be working off the bat, I have 2 cards I am using and they work just fine. Try re-seating the cards and see what happens. Also, do not install a 10.5.2 kext into 10.6.2. It has the possibility of instantly bricking your system. Only use .kext you know will work with 10.6.

The best way for the monitor to work is a straight DVI to - DVI connection. A lot of people here have been having problems you adaptors or HDMI cables. Its looking like a graphics driver and the bootloader need updates to work properly. You can also disable the ethernet port from within the Networking Control Panel.

SBMac,

I got the kext utility app you directed me to. I may be wrong but isnt the original fakesmc file supposed to be replaced with the new version available now? If so I can not find it. It is not in my system/extensions folder. I dont want to install this version and have another version of it floating around somewhere, that i dont know where it is. Shouldnt I be replacing one with the other?

SBMac,

I got the kext utility app you directed me to. I may be wrong but isnt the original fakesmc file supposed to be replaced with the new version available now? If so I can not find it. It is not in my system/extensions folder. I dont want to install this version and have another version of it floating around somewhere, that i dont know where it is. Shouldnt I be replacing one with the other?

See the post I was mentioning before. All our kexts are inside Extensions.mkext. One needs to extract the individual kexts from it, replace it with an updated one, regenerate the mkext and make sure that permissions are correct. I think there is a tool to do this as well as command lines that achieve the same thing.

-Ed

Strange you should say that as I get better results (On a different monitor mind) using DVI>VGA where sleep is concerned but don't have a problem with DVI other than that...