GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

thanks guys! I got it up and running. My issue was the way i was putting SL onto the thumbdrive. I finally got it worked out. Now I'm gonna try and update to 10.6.2 via the instructions a few posts back!

for 10.6.2 update...i just run that v3 program and then run the updater like a normal mac? mount the dmg and install? Do i need to mess w/ my thumb drive or anything?

Correct follow the instructions that have been posted. Hopefully you ran the installer vs 3 off the Thumb drive to the hard drive before any updates via internet. Keep your Thumb Drive available as a bootable source in case you need to start over. Many already have had to do such a thing.

Advertisement

In stalled verbatim off the thumbdrive per the tutorial on life hacker. I've now downloaded the v3 thing from a few posts ago, and will download the combo updater. I can just run the v3 thing inside my operating SL then install the combo updater?

I'm starting to get confused on this one...

The fiance is yelling at me now..time to go for a fancy dinner and ring in the new year over some drinks. Cheers to you all!

Correct follow the instructions that have been posted. Hopefully you ran the installer vs 3 off the Thumb drive to the hard drive before any updates via internet. Keep your Thumb Drive available as a bootable source in case you need to start over. Many already have had to do such a thing.

In stalled verbatim off the thumbdrive per the tutorial on life hacker. I've now downloaded the v3 thing from a few posts ago, and will download the combo updater. I can just run the v3 thing inside my operating SL then install the combo updater?

I'm starting to get confused on this one...

The fiance is yelling at me now..time to go for a fancy dinner and ring in the new year over some drinks. Cheers to you all!

Here it is nice and simple.

- Boot off the thumb drive, interrupt the boot process and select (in Chameleon)

to boot from your HD installation.

- Backup your /Extras folder and then run the v3 installer pointed at your HD.

(If you don't backup/delete the /Extras folder it will have a failed write and you will KP on reboot)

DONE

Using this guide and it works perfectly, but I am using a 8800GT and wanted to upgrade my video card to something like a GTX285... Would this be hard to do? Would I have to reload the OS? What would be the proper way to handle this?

I wish it were so simple for me....Most of this stuff I just don't understand. I was able to get to running 10.6.0 and building a tower by following the step by step directions, but I'm really not understanding how to accomplish this update to 10.6.2.

Lemme see if I'm close to getting this...

I boot like I normally do(boot off thumb drive, interrupt, and select my HD where SL is installed?)1, so that I"m operating in 10.6.0, like I am right now. Go into finder and back up my extra folder that is on my thumb drive (copy to the desktop? leave the one on the thumbdrive?) Then I run the v3 and it will ask where I want to direct it, and I say my internal HD? then I can run the combo updater?

Here it is nice and simple.

- Boot off the thumb drive, interrupt the boot process and select (in Chameleon)

to boot from your HD installation.

- Backup your /Extras folder and then run the v3 installer pointed at your HD.

(If you don't backup/delete the /Extras folder it will have a failed write and you will KP on reboot)

DONE

Using this guide and it works perfectly, but I am using a 8800GT and wanted to upgrade my video card to something like a GTX285... Would this be hard to do? Would I have to reload the OS? What would be the proper way to handle this?

I think you just swap the card and that's it. Nothing else required.

I wish it were so simple for me....Most of this stuff I just don't understand. I was able to get to running 10.6.0 and building a tower by following the step by step directions, but I'm really not understanding how to accomplish this update to 10.6.2.

Lemme see if I'm close to getting this...

I boot like I normally do(boot off thumb drive, interrupt, and select my HD where SL is installed?)1, so that I"m operating in 10.6.0, like I am right now. Go into finder and back up my extra folder that is on my thumb drive (copy to the desktop? leave the one on the thumbdrive?) Then I run the v3 and it will ask where I want to direct it, and I say my internal HD? then I can run the combo updater?

Backup the /Extras folder on any drive you install v3 to.

a) As this /Extras config worked for you previously, it's good to have around.

:rolleyes: When you run the installer it will make a new /Extras folder with the needed

bits to run 10.6.2. The v2 installed bits cause a KP on boot, and cannot be operating

operating the computer when you boot into .6.2.

If you don't wish to backup the old /Extras then simply delete it.

The main idea far too many have overlooked is this *must* be done to run 10.6.2.

- Boot from your prepared thumbdrive.

- Do not re-install the OS, but instead choose your current 10.6 Installation to run.

- Backup or delete the /Extras folder from you HD.

- Run the v3 installer and point it at your HD.

Done.

For everyone's future reference? STOP using the v1 installer.

Use v3 from the initial install and it will work perfectly fine. YOu won't have to waste your time with the /Extras folder for updating to v3 then. ;-)

I think you just swap the card and that's it. Nothing else required.

I believe you are correct. The injector is setup to detect the card on boot.

Ok, finally made some time to play with Snow, anyone have any pointers where to start with this damn sleep problem. Well, it's more of a wake problem. It sleeps fine but the monitor doesn't come back on when it wakes up. The OS still responds to keystrokes though.

This is a portion of the Console Log, put it to sleep @ 10.34am and woke it @ 10.37am, pressed reboot button @ 10.38am (Approx times).

02/01/2010 10:24:47	mdworker[131]	_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
02/01/2010 10:24:47	Console[132]	_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
02/01/2010 10:33:06	mdworker[145]	_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
02/01/2010 10:34:29	UserEventAgent[109]	Unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 Resource temporarily unavailable
02/01/2010 10:34:29	spindump[152]	_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
02/01/2010 10:34:31	fontworker[154]	_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
02/01/2010 10:37:18	DMProxy[155]	_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
02/01/2010 10:37:24	iCal Helper[159]	_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
02/01/2010 10:37:24	iCal Helper[159]	Unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 Resource temporarily unavailable
02/01/2010 10:37:24	DMProxy[155]	_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
02/01/2010 10:37:27	com.apple.loginwindow[27]	2010-01-02 10:37:27.946 ManagedClient[162:903] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
02/01/2010 10:38:43	com.apple.launchd[1]	*** launchd[1] has started up. ***
02/01/2010 10:39:16	com.apple.loginwindow[27]	2010-01-02 10:39:16.317 ManagedClient[76:903] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

I can fix the Error: 35 entries but the problem still persists. I have just reinstalled 10.6.0 and applied Stell's v2 package but I get the same problem.

Should I try manually adding the GFX card and disabling auto detection maybe (If so...HOW!)?

Hi all, I used the lifehacker install & Stells V3 (Thank You) :(, using the same MB & a core2quad Q8400. I have one issue right now. I read all 40 pages on this thread and something I read got me a little worried. My CPU temp reading from istat menu is 61C idle and goes up to somewhere around 70C full load. I didn't overclock the cpu. In the bios it says the cpu temperature is 41C and system temp 40C. So I'm worried that the DSDT file may be making the cpu to run hotter.

Here are some readings from the itelligent tweaker in bios:

Robust Auto

CPU Clock: 8X

xfine clock ratio: +0.0

CPU frequency 2.66 Ghz 333X8

Clock chip control

CPU Host Clock Control Disabled

X CPU Host frequency Mhz266

PCIE frequency Mhz Auto

Motherboard voltage control

CPU V COre: 1.28750V

CPU Temination: 1.200V

CPU PLL : 1.500V

CPU Reference: 0.760V

MCH Core: 1.100V

MCH REf.:0.760V

BIOS

Vcore: 1.300V

DDR1 8V: 1.952V

+3.3V :3.328V

+12V: 12.556V

System Temp: 40C

CPU Temp: 41C

CPU fan: 1600RPM

Powerfan: 2033RPM

System Fan1: 1339RPM

So my concern is this: Does the settings there look right for a Q8400? Is the CPU running too hot at 60C-70C as per the istat readings.? Does the clock multiplyer look right also.

Hi all, I used the lifehacker install & Stells V3 (Thank You) ;) , using the same MB & a core2quad Q8400. I have one issue right now. I read all 40 pages on this thread and something I read got me a little worried. My CPU temp reading from istat menu is 61C idle and goes up to somewhere around 70C full load. I didn't overclock the cpu. In the bios it says the cpu temperature is 41C and system temp 40C. So I'm worried that the DSDT file may be making the cpu to run hotter.

Here are some readings from the itelligent tweaker in bios:

Robust Auto

CPU Clock: 8X

xfine clock ratio: +0.0

CPU frequency 2.66 Ghz 333X8

Clock chip control

CPU Host Clock Control Disabled

X CPU Host frequency Mhz266

PCIE frequency Mhz Auto

Motherboard voltage control

CPU V COre: 1.28750V

CPU Temination: 1.200V

CPU PLL : 1.500V

CPU Reference: 0.760V

MCH Core: 1.100V

MCH REf.:0.760V

BIOS

Vcore: 1.300V

DDR1 8V: 1.952V

+3.3V :3.328V

+12V: 12.556V

System Temp: 40C

CPU Temp: 41C

CPU fan: 1600RPM

Powerfan: 2033RPM

System Fan1: 1339RPM

So my concern is this: Does the settings there look right for a Q8400? Is the CPU running too hot at 60C-70C as per the istat readings.? Does the clock multiplyer look right also.

I don't consider it to be the end-all-be-all, but the BIOS is likely telling the truth.

The BIOS has NO idea how to step a proc down, and runs the system pretty hot. (always)

Let it sit in BIOS for a while and it'll be a nice indicator.

Consider yourself lucky that iStat says anything even remotely proper.

iStat, as many other utilities for Mac do, communicates with the SMC.

(A controller embedded on Mac mobos)

We use FakeSMC to try to read the PC syle sensors and relay data falsely to the OS.

(Which then iStat and other temp monitors display to end users.

If you're really worried, transcode some video with handbrake so you use all

procs, and as soon as you're done go into the BIOS and see what it looks like.

There's simply no way for us to do it from inside OSX reliably right now.

(Conversely you could install Windows and run handbrake then check it there. Mac OS won't run it hotter than max)

For everyone's future reference? STOP using the v1 installer.

Use v3 from the initial install and it will work perfectly fine. YOu won't have to waste your time with the /Extras folder for updating to v3 then. ;-)

I believe you are correct. The injector is setup to detect the card on boot.

I will be building the lifehacker soon and was just wondering if and when using the Stell EP45 UD3P V3 can u just update manually from the apple icon?

or would you have to download from the link?

Yo Jsw513 Let me know how your update process went.

Hows the new Hackintosh treatin ya?

I will be building the lifehacker soon and was just wondering if and when using the Stell EP45 UD3P V3 can u just update manually from the apple icon?

or would you have to download from the link?

Yo Jsw513 Let me know how your update process went.

Hows the new Hackintosh treatin ya?

If anyone were to start a build today, they should use V3 period. I think you could update from the apple menu, but some people in general recommend using a downloaded combo updater. It's believed to be a more reliable way to update. This is irrespective of Hackintosh or not, even people with real macs follow this suggestion.

Good luck.

I can fix the Error: 35 entries but the problem still persists. I have just reinstalled 10.6.0 and applied Stell's v2 package but I get the same problem.

Should I try manually adding the GFX card and disabling auto detection maybe (If so...HOW!)?

Didn't Stell post a warning about V2 "Halloween" installation package if you are planning on updating to 10.6.2?

I would re-iterate what MacWannaBe just said in regards to the installation steps. I installed directly with V3 "OBEY" installer. Just wondering if you are creating installer issues with using the Halloween install. Hopefully you are deleting the Snow Leopard Extras folder before running the installer.

Post 789 on page 40 references manually installing Dual cards via strings and settings.

Anybody know about wireless?
I would also like to know of a good wireless card for this build.

Is there anything definitive on the topic of wireless in the Lifehacker build? OSX86 project suggests using this Netgear WN311B.

Anyone have anything to add?

Is there anything definitive on the topic of wireless in the Lifehacker build? OSX86 project suggests using this Netgear WN311B.

Anyone have anything to add?

Post 963 on page 49. Mentioned something about the Dell wireless for $80.

Dell Wireless 1505 (PCI-e) is 79.99 USD from Dell

I was going to work on it in two weeks, waiting for bank balance to settle from Christmas.

Didn't Stell post a warning about V2 "Halloween" installation package if you are planning on updating to 10.6.2?

I would re-iterate what MacWannaBe just said in regards to the installation steps. I installed directly with V3 "OBEY" installer. Just wondering if you are creating installer issues with using the Halloween install. Hopefully you are deleting the Snow Leopard Extras folder before running the installer.

Post 789 on page 40 references Dual cards.

I only tried v2 with 10.6.0 because I am having the problem with v3 & 10.6.* (Both fresh installs). I'll have a read of page 789 but this GFX Card isn't dual if thats what you meant buddy?

soo....i just updated to 10.6.2 and everything went pretty well....only issues....

My screen resolution is now kinda jacked up, and everything is askew. I tried to snag some screenshots for you guys but they would take, and they wouldn't show up on my desktop or anywhere else on my HD.

I went into system prefs to change my screen resolution, and 1280x800 is the only thing listed. My screen is 16:9 i do believe. Anyone experience this? Any help?

I only tried v2 with 10.6.0 because I am having the problem with v3 & 10.6.* (Both fresh installs). I'll have a read of page 789 but this GFX Card isn't dual if thats what you meant buddy?

I am lost at what your problem is from the previous 4 - 5 posts. Not exactly if some of the issues were fixed and are focusing on new ones. Are there multiple ones at this time? I was grasping for straws from what I think I was hearing.

Sorry for the confusion ;)

10.6.2 & Stell v3 (Fresh Install)

If I put the computer to sleep, all is well until I come to try and wake it. The computer itself awakes and responds to button presses (Can hear beeps and force a restart etc) but the Main display remains off with the monitor saying no signal and the second display just shows a Blue Screen.

Other than that, everything initially seems good to go...

Hi guys,

I followed this excellent guide and have 10.6.2 running very well on my Gigabyte EP45 UD3P and Intel C2D 3.16Ghz.

The only issue I have is with the graphics card - a Nvidia GTS 250 (512MB) - running sluggish. Quartz Extreme, Core Image and Open CL are not working. Expose stutters and there is no water effect when adding widgets to the Dashboard.

I am fairly new to the scene and managed to get 10.5.7 running on another drive and used an EFI string to get the GTS 250 running 100%. This guide uses a DSDT for the video card which I have no idea about.

I have attached my graphics information from System Profiler below:

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA Graphics Engine:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Graphics Engine

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCI

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0615

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: NVIDIA Graphics Engine DSDT

Displays:

W2242:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Display Connector:

It would be much appreciated if anyone could point me in the right direction and I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance and a Happy New 2010 ;)

Iain

Sorry for the confusion :)

10.6.2 & Stell v3 (Fresh Install)

If I put the computer to sleep, all is well until I come to try and wake it. The computer itself awakes and responds to button presses (Can hear beeps and force a restart etc) but the Main display remains off with the monitor saying no signal and the second display just shows a Blue Screen.

Other than that, everything initially seems good to go...

reference site: http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index....707745-p-2.html

WalkThrough: http://macprogpu.wikidot.com/walkthrough

Thanks for the links!

Am I right in thinking I treat my PC as a Mac Pro for this exercise then and this is to get the correct drivers in place for the GFX card?

Thanks for the links!

Am I right in thinking I treat my PC as a Mac Pro for this exercise then and this is to get the correct drivers in place for the GFX card?

That is a correct. Basically we are telling OS X that the PC is a MacPro and it seems we are having a common problem once more. I think the commonality of the problems is leading to a problem with the bootloader and/or the FakeSMC we are using. When I get the change this weekend, I am going to install on a separate drive, and see about updating the bootloader to the new Chameleon 2.0rc4 and updating the FakeSMC to v2.5. I will test and let every know.

- I think the sleep issue is due to the FakeSMC - remember its a hack, lol, and the newer version is sometimes just a better hack

- Updating the FakeSMC should hopefully give better temp scores as well, knowing we all see something a little off or totally absurd! such as 13,000! lol (ever find that black hole in your computer?)

- Updating the bootloader should help in recognizing more graphics cards as more ID strings are added.

- Updating both is the issue I think I have come across in the past, updating just one did not work, and I never treid them together, DOH!

I will let everyone know what happens...

P.S. Holidays were great, hope everyone else had good ones as well!

The Mac daddy is back!

I have been playing on a spare drive also so if you want me to test anything let me know.

When you say common problem, do you mean from the other site or have you come across this one?