jsoryu

Vaio P Snow Leopard

146 posts in this topic

Will I break my Mac OS partition/installation if I now install Win7 on the other partition I already setup? Will the beautiful Mac OS bootloader and Mac OS in general still work after Win7 installation?

Anyone got both, MacOS and Win7 running with this bootloader?

I don't know about installing Win7 on MacOSX but i know you can do it the other way, but first you must patch the OSinstall.mpkg to install onto a MBR.

I wish i found this out before i completely erased my Win7 install.

Advertisement

Hi all,

I tried to install SL several times, but when rebooting after successful installation from the modified Retail-Disk I get a KP (no matter which flags set for boot).

I unfortunately don't have a camera so I can't show any photo of the message...

My great hope would be:

Could someone upload a copy of a running OSX for the Vaio P, with all the kexts and hacks that have to be applied!?

I hope someone helps me (and I think several others, too...)!

Yours,

Ben

Hi all,

I tried to install SL several times, but when rebooting after successful installation from the modified Retail-Disk I get a KP (no matter which flags set for boot).

I unfortunately don't have a camera so I can't show any photo of the message...

My great hope would be:

Could someone upload a copy of a running OSX for the Vaio P, with all the kexts and hacks that have to be applied!?

I hope someone helps me (and I think several others, too...)!

Yours,

Ben

You must be doing something wrong. I've installed snow leopard on my P around 6 times already without any problems. Here are the correct steps to take:

1. Restore Snow Leopard Retail Disc to USB drive (16 + GB)

2. Use Chameleon 2 RC3 Bootloader installer to install Chameleon to USB drive just restored with SL DVD from here.

3. Copy all contents from package from latest package by ryu123 as superuser from here.

4. Copy "boot" from earlier package by ryu123 as superuser from here.

5. Plug in Flash drive.

6. Boot from Flash Drive (either set boot from USB first in BIOS or select from Boot menu)

7. Install Snow Leopard.

8. Use USB to boot to new SL install.

9. Set up SL.

10. After install is set up, repeat steps 2-4 to the Partition that you installed SL to.

11. Enjoy your new feline flavored OS.

Notes:

You can do a dual boot (Win7, OS X) by using Disk utility on the patched SL Thumb drive to partition the internal drive as GUID with a HFS+ partition and a FAT32 partition and install Windows first and select the FAT32 partition. You can either install directly to FAT32, or you can reformat to NTFS. It's up to you. After installing windows, Install SL just as above. Now you will have 2 great OSes with a beautiful graphical bootloader. :) (I recommend the "Choose your OS" theme here. Just edit theme.pist to 1600x768 on all values that have to do with screen resolution.)

Also, I have had the best luck just doing everything in GUID, so do not ask me about anything if you use MBR and it messes up.

fr3z3rburn

thanks for your answer!

But if I try to copy "System" from the package to the restored USB-Stick, I would have to replace the whole "System"-directory of the Install-package. Then I would not be able to install it anymore...

Well, probably my mistake is so stupid that you don't even imagine I could make it... :wacko: :wacko:

Yours,

Ben

thanks for your answer!

But if I try to copy "System" from the package to the restored USB-Stick, I would have to replace the whole "System"-directory of the Install-package. Then I would not be able to install it anymore...

Well, probably my mistake is so stupid that you don't even imagine I could make it... ;):P

Yours,

Ben

Okay. For the files in that folder, go here and get Kext Helper and just use kext helper to install the kexts in System/Library/Extensions of the package.

thank you everyone for your help and updates , everything working gonna install windows 7 lite edition and see how everything works out . ;)

Thank you everyone working on this freaking machine!

I've got 10.6.1 up and running now! Wwan (German model), card-reader, everything appears to work (dock not tested)!

Anyway, there is a little "but" :) :

I sometimes experience battery is behaving weird. OS X appears to lose it, battery-led is blinking quite quickly and the battery time is displayed wrong. Sometimes a reboot helps, sometimes not...

I've got Voodoobattery installed...

Yours,

Ben

ok so i have installed snow leopard on my dell mini 10(gma 500 etc) what kexts do i use now to get wifi, resolution etc?) ive looked in the last thread but couldnt really find anything! Em also how do i have os x boot up rather than need the external hd to start up? thanks!

anybody done this on a windows machine ??

i have all the files, but the copied dvd image wont start

²thangbinh

look at the other thread

²adamj09

use google to find a whole website about dell mini's mith osx

hello everyone!

I just got Snowleo working on my VGN-p15g!

This is what I did:

1. restored a SL retail dmg to a 8gig kingston usb drive with diskutility (can also be done with the ''dd'' command in terminal)

2. installed Chameleon 2 rc3 to the usb drive after restore

3. put the "boot", "DSDT.aml" and "Extra" files from vaiop20090829 (cant find vaiop20090910) on the usbdrive * to copy the "boot" file use terminal: "sudo cp /boot /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD" when boot file is in your root directory.

4. copy the Chameleion 2 rc3 installer on the usb drive as well, we will be using that later.

5. now you should be able to boot from the usb drive! just install.

6. after finishing the install boot from usb but at the Chameleon boot screen select you HDD... welcome to snowleo

7. to make your HDD bootable do the same as you did to you usbdrive... install Chameleon and copy those 3 files on the root of your drive.

8. thats it!

I also installed the newest voodooHDA.kext with kext helper b7, after installing and reboot u can ajust the format to a lower frequentie at the MIDI audio setup to 44100.0 Hz to fix the cracking sound!

changed keyboard layout to english now the only thing that I need are driver for the GMA500!! hope the will be available very soon=)

ajuuhe

anybody done this on a windows machine ??

i have all the files, but the copied dvd image wont start

yeah - i actually did it (man - i hate qouting myself :) )

setup is working at the moment - why the heck is installing os x so hard compared to windows :D (i had every windows since 3.1 (and ms dos before that, and a c64...and a zx81 before that :) ))

newsflash - i'm stupid :)

i don't get it in my head, how to copy the boot (and the other stuff) to my hdd ?

i've seen a few ways - but none worked for me (not with sudo, not as root)

at the moment the kitty works, but no sound, no usb, no wwan, no bt, only 1024x768 resolution...

"Bueller? ...Bueller? ...Bueller?" ............. "Anyone? Anyone?" :whistle:

:(

and now back to topic

i've postet this also in the "old thread" - don't ask - it's the same file ;)

hiere ist my Vaio Boot Image - it's dirty cooked with stuff from the "old thread" and an image i found on the net (deleted some stuff and saved the needed files in it - it works - didn't care about the useless stuff in it - the compressed image is in a 2mb rar file - but you need a 512mb pendrive (480mb image).

Vaio Boot Image

her are some notes about it:

format the boot stick (512mb min.) with fat and use mbr (no hfs and guid!!)

use transmac to format the stick with the image

also use transmac to transfer the original sl dvd as and dmg image to your hdd

this image should be placed on a 8gb stick (also fat and mbr) - same here, format the stick with the dvd image

use fast pendrives - installing with a 30mb/s stick is far less painful than with a 8mb/s :wacko:

boot as described in this and the "old thread" (cpus=1 -f) and install it like described there.

if you do it right, you can have it like that:

i've made a clean install, nuked windows and installed SL to the hdd - but i wanted to use the gps feature, so i needed windows again :censored2:

rightyright, i changed the size of the hfs partition with SL, made a GUID/MBR hybrid on the free partition and installed 7 on it - installed all the drivers to get the wwan and gps working (fiddled around with the drivers - i found the asian driverpacks for the p after i was done :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: )

but - it's working - so i give a {censored} about the days (and night's) i've spended on getting this done without a real mac :angel:

This thread is really interesting. :angry2:

Can anybody tell me if sleep or hibernate work in SL on the Vaio P?

Does the WLAN that ships in the Vaio P work? Or does it have to be swapped out for another WLAN card (if that's even possible)?

Thanks,

Nick

hi nick

the only thing i use is the display off setting - that works - afaik - hibernate doesn't work

i didn't change any hardware on my p11z - wlan, wwan, bt is working, lan and vga out doesn't work

i didn't try gps - there is no useful software for osx on the market - i installed windows only to use autoroute :angry2:

morning everyone, it's cold outside - but i had to try it :D

bad picture quality - but i think some of you will get it :P

post-96403-1259998220_thumb.jpg

gps is working on the vaio p

too bad that there is no good software on the market and running a routing software on a virtual machine would be real slooooooooow :wacko:

edit:

yes, i know that anyone can find the place where i live with those coordinates - but i couldn't care less ;)

no, i don't live in that crappy house you can see in google earth, that hut is long gone :(

I'm a total newbie and I read a lot of threads here to find out how to install SL on my Vaio. But right now I'm stucking with starting the installation. I want to keep my preinstalled Windows 7.

In the beginning there were 3 partitions on my 128 GB SSD. One (1,5 GB) for Restoring Data, one (100 MB) I think it's for Instant Mode I want to keep and the W7 partition. I've resized the W7 partition to 40 GB and want to use the remaining empty space for SL in a new fourth partition.

First thing I've tried was the gparted-Linux-CD. I've created a new HFS+ partition in the free disk space. When I start the SL installation with the prepared USB stick I'm unable to use this new partition. I get the message "To install on this disk, open Disk Utility by choosing Utilities > Disk Utility, and repartition this disk using 'GUID Partition Table'. Important: you will lose all data on disk by repartitioning it."

But I don't want to lose my data. So I've tried to erase the HFS+ partition with Disk Utility and created a new Mac OS Extended partition but I get the same error if I try to use it for SL installation.

Is there a way to install SL on my system without losing my old W7 installation? Where is my mistake?

Thanks for help!

ok, keeping windows as it is, why not - installing all the drivers and stuff from sony is annoying

BUT - with a normal copy of SL you will not be able to install it onto a MBR partition (thats why it does not work at the moment) - you have to change the OSInstall.mpkg in:

/System/Installation/Packages/

and

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

use the search engine to find a modified SL package - there are "a few" here on insanelymac

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the hard work getting SL to work on the Vaio P, I'm typing this message very happily on it now.

I followed fr3z3rburn's instructions and everything was very smooth and easy.

Although there is no QE, the graphics performance is very good! youtube works and dragging windows around is very smooth and responsive. OS X can render pdfs and transparencies so much faster on this hardware than windows or ubuntu. I really can't wait for full QE though.

The thing I'm really after now, just to make this truely useful is sleep. Ryuu mentions in the first post that sleep might work without USB? I'd find sleep more important then USB devices, how can I change this to get it to work? I tried kextunload'ing usb kexts but it always said they were in use. Is there some way I could script unloading USB, sleeping and then reloading USB? This would be ideal!

Thanks again!

emip.

tl;dr: This is amazing, it works a treat, thanks so much Ryuu for the intense coding and effor and to fr3z3rburn for the clear instructions. Pretty please can I have sleep?

My Vaio P is arriving tomorrow - the first job I'll be doing is backing up the hard drive and getting Snow Leopard installed :)

Sleep would be a massive bonus for me too - and if it means disabling USB then that's not a problem. I remember reading on another forum (about Acer netbooks - I used to have one but sold it to get the Vaio P instead), that installing SmartSleep (http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html) sometimes got sleep to work. It allows you to change between different modes of sleep and hibernate.

Any help or advice anybody can offer would be great!

Cheers,

Nick

I've just tried smartsleep and it doesn't help unfortunately.

The hibernate mode just makes the screen go grey until the mouse is moved or a key is pressed, and regular sleep modes just turn the screen off until an input-event.

Oh well, I guess something more sophisticated does need to be done :)

Thanks for the tip though!