[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install on eeepc 901

Guide Works  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Is this guide working on your eeepc 901?

• Yes. Perfectly. I'm in eeepc Nirvana.
    • Yes, but I had to install additional drivers.
    • No

292 posts in this topic

Any Suggestions?

I found a intel GMA kext that sort of works. When I boot up it shows a weird, almost artifacted screen. But, when I boot into safe mode, by using -x, it gives me the perfect resolution of 1024x600. Maybe it's a refresh rate issue?

GMA950.pkg.zip

have you got a monitor connected to the vga out port?

No. I am using the lcd that came with the laptop. I want to remind everyone that I am using a 900a and not a 901. Although I think they have the same base hardware.

Followed the instructions to success!

Will add that upon cloning to my SSD i still got the boot0: error so I re-installed Chameleon on the SSD (booted from the USB again, ran the Chameleon installer to SSD) and everything booted correctly.

Put the voodoo stuff where it said and the sound in and out work great, but I have to adjust the mic in the preferences each time i want to use iChat.

Thanks for all the work and tweaks put into this!

Hi jdub. Great to hear it worked well for you! I have the same issue with iChat also on other hackintoshes; hopefully we'll figure that one out eventually.

I think you already voted; so thanks. Make sure to vote everyone so I know how this is working.

I will be doing an update to the files shortly with a few tweaked kexts for battery life. It seems slightly better; and more accurate battery readings...but nothing huge. My main goal is to not do anything to destabilize a very reliable process, so these changes have been tested for several days now. For those with systems already working, the changes will be easy to apply. Kext Utility is a great tool for this; as it allows you to drop kexts into place and then "clean up" both /S/L/E and /E/E to perfection just by launching it.

I have also been working on a guide for the Intel Atom dual core 330 Intel motherboards. I have two machines running these and think they should be a great candidate for Snow Leopard. They are a great way to build a very cheap hackintosh. Using spare parts I had around I built two 2GB dual core systems for about $220USD. My daughter has one as her main machine and the other is my file server/Time Machine backup server with 3TB storage. I'm still stuck at a few places on this guide; so it may take a bit longer.

Thanks for all the positive feedback and support! Let's keep these Atoms flying :-)

Hello

First of all excuse me for my english....

I have a problem after upgrading to 10.6.1 because the resolution is 800x600, i have follow the steps in the tutorial but i have a message which tell me " The extentions canno't install correctly...."

I'm sad because 10.6 work great...

Hello

First of all excuse me for my english....

I have a problem after upgrading to 10.6.1 because the resolution is 800x600, i have follow the steps in the tutorial but i have a message which tell me " The extentions canno't install correctly...."

I'm sad because 10.6 work great...

Just download "Kext Utility" from here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

Just double click it and it will fix everything for you. Reboot and you will be at 1024x600 again. Enjoy!

REQUEST FOR TESTING:

This is the new version of my files. Before I replace the link in the main [GUIDE], I need to do a runthrough with these changes, so this should be considered BETA for now. If anyone else wants to help test, please do so and let me know your V2 results.

I have made the following changes:

• Removed OpenHaltRestart, as this functionality is embeded in VoodooPower
  • Removed AppleACPIBatteryManager as this functionality is replaced with VoodooBattery
  • Added VoodooBattery for /S/L/E, as it seems more accurate in conjunction with VoodooPower
  • Updated VoodooPower in /S/L/E for better power management
  • Newly compiled Extensions.mkext in /E with above changes
  • Included my DSDT for 2GB RAM units. Use of this has risks since it wasn't compiled on your machine.
  • Included Kext_Utility as it is VERY helpful in troubleshooting. Just double-click to fix many problems.

For a quick update for those with existing systems, just make the changes listed above and then run Kext_Utility to clean everything up. Reboot and enjoy.

Files here eeepc901_guide_files_v2 zip

Is it possible that someone could make a boot 132 disk for eee pc 901?

I'm suppose i'm asking two things here. 1) Is it possible and 2) Can anyone do it?

If you're thinking i'm being lazy, my reply is simply "yes i am!"

I appreciate all the work that has gone into these guides i'm following them but getting a tad confused.

This is a good idea, and it is possible.

I may actually attempt this. However; if you have the equipment, I highly recommend you try my instructions. The advantage to doing it my way is that you can test and tweak (and make mistakes) on your USB drive without actually effecting your eeepc at all. Only when everything is working as you like do you need to copy the system over to your eeepc. Also, while there is a lot of text in my [GUIDE], I think if you try doing it you may find it's a lot simpler than it appears at first.

Try running through the instructions if you have a USB drive, and let us know if you get stuck. The only slightly tricky part is installation of Chameleon RC3, and I included an example video for you to watch. Since you are installing everything to an external USB drive, there is absolutely no risk in trying and experimenting.

Good luck! I'll let everyone know if I get a boot-132 type CD built. Note that using a boot-132 type install (installing on the machine directly) will actually likely be MUCH slower and more complex than my procedure; but it would eliminate the need for another machine (but you still need a USB optical drive). My process allows me to build a fully working eeepc (running off USB drive) in about 30 minutes. Boot-132 method would likely be well over an hour.

REQUEST FOR TESTING:

This is the new version of my files. Before I replace the link in the main [GUIDE], I need to do a runthrough with these changes, so this should be considered BETA for now. If anyone else wants to help test, please do so and let me know your V2 results.

I have made the following changes:

• Removed OpenHaltRestart, as this functionality is embeded in VoodooPower
  • Removed AppleACPIBatteryManager as this functionality is replaced with VoodooBattery
  • Added VoodooBattery for /S/L/E, as it seems more accurate in conjunction with VoodooPower
  • Updated VoodooPower in /S/L/E for better power management
  • Newly compiled Extensions.mkext in /E with above changes
  • Included my DSDT for 2GB RAM units. Use of this has risks since it wasn't compiled on your machine.
  • Included Kext_Utility as it is VERY helpful in troubleshooting. Just double-click to fix many problems.

For a quick update for those with existing systems, just make the changes listed above and then run Kext_Utility to clean everything up. Reboot and enjoy.

Files here eeepc901_guide_files_v2 zip

I took the time to register because I want to thank you for this guide. I'll try those changes tomorrow.

Thank you!

And sorry if my english isn't good enough, haha ;)

I found a intel GMA kext that sort of works. When I boot up it shows a weird, almost artifacted screen. But, when I boot into safe mode, by using -x, it gives me the perfect resolution of 1024x600. Maybe it's a refresh rate issue?

GMA950.pkg.zip

Any Suggestions?

Any Suggestions?

My only suggestion would be to download and run Kext Utility. It's in my new zip. This will ensure all your kexts are set up correctly (privs and mkexts).

If that doesn't work; It's hard for me to troubleshoot your problem since you used a different guide originally to set up your 900A. This creates an almost infinite number of variables.

If you start from scratch with my guide; it should work. It's been pretty much 100% successful for those that followed it from start to finish. The only other thing I can think of is your BIOS. Can you borrow an extra USB drive to try my build on? It only takes about 30 minutes; and then you should see if the screen is working. If it is; then you can copy that over to your SSD.

My only suggestion would be to download and run Kext Utility. It's in my new zip. This will ensure all your kexts are set up correctly (privs and mkexts).

If that doesn't work; It's hard for me to troubleshoot your problem since you used a different guide originally to set up your 900A. This creates an almost infinite number of variables.

If you start from scratch with my guide; it should work. It's been pretty much 100% successful for those that followed it from start to finish. The only other thing I can think of is your BIOS. Can you borrow an extra USB drive to try my build on? It only takes about 30 minutes; and then you should see if the screen is working. If it is; then you can copy that over to your SSD.

Well, I bought a external hard drive and followed your guide to the letter and when I run kext utility it says "System extension cannot be used" and the lists 3 video things.

Well, I bought a external hard drive and followed your guide to the letter and when I run kext utility it says "System extension cannot be used" and the lists 3 video things.

At what point did you run Kext Utility; as that isn't part of the guide? I'm assuming you did it after something went wrong.

When you got to step 11, did it boot up OK off USB and play the welcome video file? It should already be in the correct video resolution at that point. If not, then we should go back and figure out what's going wrong in the earlier steps. Which BIOS are you using?

ROUNDUP:

I've been following everything so far and everything works great.

One piece of advice: I would recommend to add in com.apple.boot plist the following:

<key>Wake</key>

<string>no</string>

It will save you a sleepimage the size of your RAM (in my case, I did that and got rid of the image in /private/var/vm/sleepimage of 2GB). I don't see the point of hibernating anyway.

I have a new concern. I upgraded my SSD from 16 to 32 GB. Should I rebuild a DSDT.aml file or is it OK (I saw that a change of RAM may have an impact...). Please let me know (whoever knows something about this).

I haven't tested the V2 pack, will do this tomorrow.

Things that are still 100% perfect:

- I find that the fan is very often on (while it's never running when I run XP on the very same eee 901). Have you noticed this too ?

- The ASUS keys don't work except for the brightness. Any update here ?

- The SD card gets ejected after sleep. Not a killer but I can't find a solution (I tried to tweak my DSDT.aml several times with no success).

- Last point, it seems that the pref pane of VoodooHDA doesn't save the settings. I have to change the recording level each time I want to use the mic. Kind of boring. Anybody experienced this and found a solutio by any chance ?

Take care all,

Richard.

This morning I updated my system with all the new files (v2). I haven't had too much time to check if everything is ok but it seems to work fine.

Thanks! I also went through a complete install this morning. Steps 1 through 11 only took about 15 minutes to complete (by my desktop is quad core). Anyway, v2 is looking fine, so I swapped out the link on the GUIDE.

Hopefully new users will begin to see better battery life. I'm getting about 4 hours with my 32GB SSD, but I think part of that is the SSD burning a lot more power than the included 8GB.

At what point did you run Kext Utility; as that isn't part of the guide? I'm assuming you did it after something went wrong.

When you got to step 11, did it boot up OK off USB and play the welcome video file? It should already be in the correct video resolution at that point. If not, then we should go back and figure out what's going wrong in the earlier steps. Which BIOS are you using?

It was using 1024x768 as the resolution.

How? The internal screen is 1024x600. Were you installing with a VGA screen attached?

No. The only thing I had attached was the hard drive and power cord. It was a pain in my but to try and guess what the where the continue buttons where.

ROUNDUP:

I've been following everything so far and everything works great.

One piece of advice: I would recommend to add in com.apple.boot plist the following:

<key>Wake</key>

<string>no</string>

It will save you a sleepimage the size of your RAM (in my case, I did that and got rid of the image in /private/var/vm/sleepimage of 2GB). I don't see the point of hibernating anyway.

I have a new concern. I upgraded my SSD from 16 to 32 GB. Should I rebuild a DSDT.aml file or is it OK (I saw that a change of RAM may have an impact...). Please let me know (whoever knows something about this).

I haven't tested the V2 pack, will do this tomorrow.

Things that are still 100% perfect:

- I find that the fan is very often on (while it's never running when I run XP on the very same eee 901). Have you noticed this too ?

- The ASUS keys don't work except for the brightness. Any update here ?

- The SD card gets ejected after sleep. Not a killer but I can't find a solution (I tried to tweak my DSDT.aml several times with no success).

- Last point, it seems that the pref pane of VoodooHDA doesn't save the settings. I have to change the recording level each time I want to use the mic. Kind of boring. Anybody experienced this and found a solutio by any chance ?

Take care all,

Richard.

hi richarda,

Thanks for the post! The sleep image issue is EXTREMELY helpful! It would be great if we can keep it from ever being created on new builds; and 2GB is a huge savings on our SSD drives. Unfortunately my sleepimage file seems to keep returning even after the change. Does yours?

EDIT: I had to also do the following, and now my sleepimage is gone for good:

sudo pmset hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

I don't have any suggestions for your other issues yet, but appreciate the list. It gives me a kind of To Do list of things to look at.

Hello all... I just installed SL on a 1000HE (XP US Ver) and the ethernet does not seem to be working. It shows up in the system profiler but not in the network settings... any ideas? WiFi works though... original wifi card.

If you boot with ethernet cable attached; does that make any difference? You can also "reset" your network device settings by deleting two files and then immediately rebooting:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

After reboot, you may also have to set your machine name again in System Preferences -> Sharing.

Let me know if either of these things work. Did you set up your system using my process or a hybrid approach?

If you boot with ethernet cable attached; does that make any difference? You can also "reset" your network device settings by deleting two files and then immediately rebooting:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

After reboot, you may also have to set your machine name again in System Preferences -> Sharing.

Let me know if either of these things work. Did you set up your system using my process or a hybrid approach?

I read through this whole thread and saw dmbardal post and use his suggestions. And it worked.. I used yours the first time.. but in a different way.. using hidden EFI.. did not work out like I wanted it too... so I re did it the other way and its working pretty good... still booting off USB for now.. gonna transfer the installation later... Thanks for the suggestions I'll let you know how the network thing works out....

one other question would be not all my FN keys work.. any suggestions.. and how are some people getting the mic to work? thanks.

UPDATE: I tried both suggestions with ethernet plugged in on boot and delete them files and restarted. No luck...

Hello everybody.

First of all, thanks to the OP for the nice tutorial. Following it I was able to install osx 10.6 almost painlessly on my 901.

Just a little recap of my configuration:

2Gb Ram

swapped the factory 16gb ssd with a 64Gb Runcore. The nice thing about the Runcore is that comes with a usb port (complete with a usb cable). I was able to intall everything on it and then just plug it back into the 901.

Swapped the original wifi card with a BCM94321MC.

My 901 is a Linux version but I think it's one of the last batches of this model (got it about a year ago), because it has a compatible webcam that works out of the box with SL.

Everything works fine but a couple of minor things:

Your dsdt.aml doesn't work with my 901. I have only the sleep and the brightness fn keys working.

After having applied the 2.0 guide files patches my battery indicator doesn't show anymore. If I go to the power saving options I read 0% battery left and if I try to enable the icon in the top bar it tries to do it but reverts back immediately to the panel deselecting the option.

The broadcom wifi card is detected correctly and I'm able to connect to my AP but it doesn't reconnect to it automatically. I have to connect to it manually everytime, though it remembers it in the list of the visited networks. The icon in the top bar says: Airport: not configured.

That's it for now. Thanks again for your work!

Fabio

Hi..

Been monitoring this thread closely.

Tried your guide yesterday evening.. with the only modification that I didnt use an existing install or ext. usb-drive since well.. i didnt have that possibility.

After install and the usual terminal work needed I rebooted and..

Kernel Panic.

so I did the old fallback. my old installmethod and im back on square one .. that is:

everything but sleep seems to work..

would be nice to get a solution for ppl not having a second mac/hack-intosh available..

cheers

Hello everybody.

First of all, thanks to the OP for the nice tutorial. Following it I was able to install osx 10.6 almost painlessly on my 901.

Just a little recap of my configuration:

2Gb Ram

swapped the factory 16gb ssd with a 64Gb Runcore. The nice thing about the Runcore is that comes with a usb port (complete with a usb cable). I was able to intall everything on it and then just plug it back into the 901.

Swapped the original wifi card with a BCM94321MC.

My 901 is a Linux version but I think it's one of the last batches of this model (got it about a year ago), because it has a compatible webcam that works out of the box with SL.

Everything works fine but a couple of minor things:

Your dsdt.aml doesn't work with my 901. I have only the sleep and the brightness fn keys working.

After having applied the 2.0 guide files patches my battery indicator doesn't show anymore. If I go to the power saving options I read 0% battery left and if I try to enable the icon in the top bar it tries to do it but reverts back immediately to the panel deselecting the option.

The broadcom wifi card is detected correctly and I'm able to connect to my AP but it doesn't reconnect to it automatically. I have to connect to it manually everytime, though it remembers it in the list of the visited networks. The icon in the top bar says: Airport: not configured.

That's it for now. Thanks again for your work!

Fabio

Hi controllore,

Thanks for your post. The USB port is a great feature of the Runcore; and that makes this guide VERY easy :-) I just wish their prices would come down a bit.

I'm guessing the battery issue appeared after applying the v2 files over the top of a v1 installation? Possibly you have two different battery management extensions installed (as I switched from one to another). Please let me know if I am guessing correctly; because I want to make sure the standard install isn't broken (I just ran through it again this morning in about 15 minutes without problems).

If this is the case; simply remove AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext from /Extra/Extensions and then run Kext Utility. After a reboot you should be fixed.

Wifi is a bit tricky; as it varies from card to card. For all Apple cards (like mine) it should just work. You may have to install an extension called 80211Family.kext or another one for your specific card.

Don't forget to vote in the poll :-)

Hi..

Been monitoring this thread closely.

Tried your guide yesterday evening.. with the only modification that I didnt use an existing install or ext. usb-drive since well.. i didnt have that possibility.

After install and the usual terminal work needed I rebooted and..

Kernel Panic.

so I did the old fallback. my old installmethod and im back on square one .. that is:

everything but sleep seems to work..

would be nice to get a solution for ppl not having a second mac/hack-intosh available..

cheers

Hi kn3pp,

I'm curious how you did your install without a second machine? Do you have a USB optical drive? Can you run me through the steps you used to follow my guide without a second machine? Maybe I can help suggest a way to make your method work with my files.

Are you certain you are using the BIOS I included and also installed Chameleon RC3 (and not RC2). Those are the most likely causes of boot Kernel Panic. There are others I might be able to diagnose if you post your steps.