Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TecMate

Windows Vista Beta 2 (5384) on MacBook Pro STATUS REPORT

14 posts in this topic

ok. I finnaly decided to give it a try after the release of Windows Vista Beta 2 and so far so good...

sorta.

The Aero interface runs great without haveing to run any tweaks or even find drivers for the ATI Radeon X1600 (Microsoft WDDM drivers included).

Even the new Media Center app works great!!

The Power Management works too!! screen saver, sleeps when the lid closes, hybernation, battery meter, all work fine. I haven't tested overnight sleeping yet.

The Atheros wireless adapter and the Marvell Yukon ethernet both are working fine with the XP drivers from the BootCamp driver CD.

The Sigmatel HD Audio drivers that came with the Apple BootCamp Driver disk don't work none... neither does the Bluetooth and of course the iSight and iR (infraRed reciever for the iEntertainment OSx thing).

The iSight and iR I can live without for now.. but the Sigmatel HD audio drivers I would like to get working soon. Bluetooth would be good too as, let's face it, a right mouse button is a good idea. (ahhh convergence]

Has anyone ben able to get these devices to work on Vista? and if so, how?

btw The User Account Control is a F-ing pain in the ASS. I will be disabling that soon.

oh yeah specs:

15" Mac Book Pro

2.16 Ghz

1GB Ram

100GB 7200 RPM HD

latest firmware including the SMC update

durring the Vista install I erased ALL partitions and made 1 NTFS partition. yep, I'm headed the wrong way...

but that's nothing new.

Advertisement

Thats sick running vista on a powerbook hardware

call me crazy but vista looks amazing im loving the aero interface

i think it satnds out so much i know for a fact your computer is a head turner for obvious reasons-ont get me wrong love os x but vista is eye pleasing too..

Does it still ask you want to run a program everytime you start up an application? I hate that.

I would download it, but there are too many leachers to get and download speed.

EDIT: It still does... ;)

ok, got the SigmaTel Audio working...

before I deleted everything I made a backup of some folders in XP

C:\Program Files\Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP\

C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\

after installing Vista I tried to install the drivers from the \Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP\ but it didn't work... Device Manager kept giving an error on the device...

in \SigmaTel\ I ran setup.exe and Viola! music to my Vista!

sill working on the Bluetooth...

isight in beta 2 is actually listed in device manager as "built in isight" (no yellow exclamation point)

havent tested if it works however, i know it hasnt in previous builds tho

isight in beta 2 is actually listed in device manager as "built in isight" (no yellow exclamation point)

havent tested if it works however, i know it hasnt in previous builds tho

I'm not seeing a 'Built in iSight' in Device Manager Build 5384...

anyway,

the Power Management is buggy... screen saver and sleep timeouts are NOT working in Vista. but closing the lid (regular sleep) and hibernation ARE working.. ok.

not having a right mouse button or any of the hardware function keys (eject, vol. control, etc.) working is a pain.

Runs 3ds MAX 8 GREAT! it renders as fast as my Dual Xeon 3Ghz/800Mhz FSB with 4GB of RAM!! in fact on a few renders it beat the Dual Xeon machine which BTW has a 10,000RPM HDD

does NOT run Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 or Adobe Encore 2.0 or Adobe Audition 2.0 which means back to XP for me for now...

does run Adobe Photoshop CS2, After Effects 7.0, and Illustrator CS2

any more?? just ask and I'll test it.

I'm not seeing a 'Built in iSight' in Device Manager Build 5384...

anyway,

the Power Management is buggy... screen saver and sleep timeouts are NOT working in Vista. but closing the lid (regular sleep) and hibernation ARE working.. ok.

not having a right mouse button or any of the hardware function keys (eject, vol. control, etc.) working is a pain.

Runs 3ds MAX 8 GREAT! it renders as fast as my Dual Xeon 3Ghz/800Mhz FSB with 4GB of RAM!! in fact on a few renders it beat the Dual Xeon machine which BTW has a 10,000RPM HDD

does NOT run Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 or Adobe Encore 2.0 or Adobe Audition 2.0 which means back to XP for me for now...

does run Adobe Photoshop CS2, After Effects 7.0, and Illustrator CS2

any more?? just ask and I'll test it.

isight, look under imaging devices, you should see it.

while it doesnt have the yellow sign, it still doesnt work.

I got one question, but first of all, excuse me for my poor english...

So, i got a MacBook Pro, with Tiger and XP installed. I'd like to try Vista, can i install it using Bootcamp, after deleting XP. No risk for my Tiger partirtion ?

Thank.

Hey all.

Got mine to work as well on my MBP. But I'm a bit nervous about the now gone, 200mb EFI partition. I believe I saw instructions in this website on how to rebuild it using some Mac command line tool. Does anyone have a link to that set of instructions or remember what topic it was discussed under? I think it was in the lead story about Vista form the front page on this website but for some reason the discussion thread on that topic has been shortened from over 5 pages to now only 3. Site Admin, an assist please :D

btw The User Account Control is a F-ing pain in the ASS. I will be disabling that soon.

if im not mistaken the UAP is always enabled, there is no way to disable it... ms is basically taking a similar approach to a unix based os which is, even if you are an admin, you cant make some changes without root privelleges

I have successfully installed a triple-boot setup with WinXP on a 5GB partition and Vista on a 11GB partition. This has the added feature of allowing me to exchange files from OS X to Vista since both can read and write the 5GB Fat32 Volume. I did this by simply using Boot Camp to create a 16GB partition. Then from the WinXP install I deleted the 16GB partition and created a 5GB in it's place. When I ran the Vista installer, I deleted the 200MB partition (1) and created an 11GB partition to install onto at the end. So far, this is working well.

I used the Run command from the MacRumors site to extract the drivers from Apple's Driver CD. I expanded it onto the 5GB partition so I could experiment between XP and Vista. The Sigmatel and Wireless drivers installed without a hitch. I've also succeeded in installing the Brightness and DiskEject executables by adding them into RegEdit as follows in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVers\Run:

AppleCdEject   REG_SZ   C:\Windows\System32\AppleCDEject.exe
Brightness	 REG_SZ   C:\Windows\System32\Brightness.exe

…and of course moving those EXE files into the System32 directory.

Mu last experiment was to load the Bluetooth driver into the second USB Component, but it ended up disabling the keyboard and mouse. Still working on that one... :) The duel keyboard and mouse entries are my clue that I'm on the right track there, but I need an easy way to recover.

I hope this helps others and that others can get me around some of these problems! :(

LasVegas