Installing SL on a EVGA X58 SLI LE (141-BL-E757-TR)

tempest 2084

3 posts in this topic

Sorry for the double post, but I originally posted this in the wrong forum.

I plan on installing Snow Leopard this weekend on my PC. I've read the various guides, but I have a few questions still. I'm new to all of this so please bear with me.

My system looks like this:

===================

Processor: Intel Core i7

MB: EVGA X58 SLI LE (141-BL-E757-TR)

Mem: 6GB

Video: EVGA Geforce 260GTX

Sound: Integrated into the MB

I have two hard drives (500GB each), one has Windows XP installed on it and the other is empty and will be used for OS X. I plan on using the USB key restore method which will be prepared on my Powerbook G4 laptop with is running Leopard as detailed here (http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-snow-leopard-for-osx86/).

My questions are:

1. I want to install SL, but I also want to be able to dual boot. What's the best way to accomplish this? What special preparations do I need to do to make dual booting possible? Do I have to reinstall XP?

2. Should I use MBR or GPT format when doing the install? I assume my choice here will have some bearing on dual booting.

3. Anything else I should know? Anything specific to my MB or Video Card? The guide makes it all sound rather easy (other than the dual booting), but I've read that people are having various problems. I'd like to be prepared in advance for anything I might face. I'd also like not to blow away my Windows drive if something goes horribly wrong. :(

• 9 months later...

A couple of answers from my experience, I am by no means an expert...

1. I want to install SL, but I also want to be able to dual boot. What's the best way to accomplish this? What special preparations do I need to do to make dual booting possible? Do I have to reinstall XP?

I have always found good results by disconnecting the windows drive, going through all of the steps to install OS X on the OS X drive, and then once the OS X drive is all set up with the bootloader etc, I power down and reconnect the windows drive (with OS X drive in primary SATA position). Then when the machines boots and reaches the bootloader you should see it as an option along with your OS X drive.

2. Should I use MBR or GPT format when doing the install? I assume my choice here will have some bearing on dual booting.

3. Anything else I should know? Anything specific to my MB or Video Card? The guide makes it all sound rather easy (other than the dual booting), but I've read that people are having various problems. I'd like to be prepared in advance for anything I might face. I'd also like not to blow away my Windows drive if something goes horribly wrong.

I am actually starting a build right now using the same board you are using, I plan on following these instructions: http://www.alanin4d.com/snow_leopard_on_evga_x58/

Hopefully that helps you and good luck! :D

Answers:

1. Preferably use a distro that has chameleon bootloader. Just make sure you have a journaled partition ready and the windows hard drive plugged in.

2. The format should be done in HFS+ Journaled.

3. Nothing I could think of. Thing is I dont have your build but im good with debugging OS X so if u have post-install questions ask here. Your windows drive will not be lost, it can be easily restored from your Windows CD command line using diskpart and a few other commands.

Also, be prepared to encounter difficulties. No hackintosh installation has been flawless.