Snow Leopard on a DELL XPS M1530

sunlite

66 posts in this topic

I have the same Laptop and Wireless card as timmyj9. I reviewed the DSDT.dsl and I can see the HDEF audio section. DO I also need some audio kext in the /efi/extra/extensions/? Under System Profiler it shows some data for Audio but I do not have Audio?

Its the same HD audio sigmatel 9205.

So then the Svideo out works? How about the VGA out?

Have you played any games or graphics intensive applications to really test the solidarity of the machine?

Thanks!

K

I've been using leopard for over a year... its even more stable now. I have used houdini apprentice and it works great. I don't use it for games other than a demo of need for speed... The only time I had a KP (freeze up) was while using Firefox 3... Its happened a few times... probably caused by one of the addons.

I haven't tested svidio. Tomorrow, I will test VGA and HDMI, it worked wtih Leopard... Hope it works with SL as well.

I have the same Laptop and Wireless card as Jimmyj9. I reviewed the DSDT.dsl and I can see the HDEF audio section. DO I also need some audio kext in the /efi/extra/extensions/? Under System Profiler it shows some data for Audio but I do not have Audio?

Its the same HD audio sigmatel 9205.

Hey buddy,

grab the SL mod of VodooHDA. Get the one from 10.1.09. The latest one did NOT work for me :/ This one allows internal mic, speakers, hdmi (untested) and line out (left port) the second isn't working.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355 Put the kext in /S/L/E, Delete AppleHDA.kext else you will get KP. I tested it by putting it in /E/E/ and it didn't run from there... looks like it has to be installed to /S/L/E

On another note, Kext Utility is awesome. Use it to build extension caches so the system boots up quicker :)

If you use the DSDT, it will pick up VoodooHDA and start working. even the quick keys work...

Hi guys,

i couldn't find a thread about dell xps m1530 and snow leopard.

i also got a few questions:

i had iatkos 5i running on my dell xps m1530 for a while. the problem are: not shutdown-possibility and no internet (wifi and ethernet). the internet-problem is not really a problem 'cause i solved this problem with using a usb2lan-adapter for ethernet and a usb2wlan-adapter for wirelessLan.

Are these problems (shutdown, wlan, lan) fixed now or are they still there? maybe it could be fixed with snow-leopard (but i don't know, i am a noob).

after iatkos 7 came out i installed it on my system but it alread does not work perfectly for me. the problem is, that leopard will not start without the dvd in the drive. i burned the dvd with a speed of 2x. extremely slow.

at this time, the shutdown as well as the internet-stuff were still not working. is it fixed meanwhile?

for installing i always used the help of macgirl because she seems to be pretty fit with hackmac on a dell. but i also figured out that every dell-xps-m1530-user had different experiences. one user got it work (for example internet without adapters) others don't.

is there a perfect installation-guide available for installing macOSX-snow leopard on a dell xps m1530 without any problems?

thank you so much for your help

looking forward :(

Hey bro, if the post has been useful, then put a link to the install post in your original post. That way ppl don't have to dig much :D

Thanks for the reply. That Voodoo.kext worked nicely. I did get a kernel panik the first time. I did nto know to removed the AppleHDA.kext.

I had my EFI partition mounted to when it crashed. I had to fsch to be able to mount it again.

Couple questions for you on the DSDT CST and PSS script.

Does this script along with the SMC legacy kext make AppleIntelCPUPM kext work?

I am just trying to see if the CST and PSS code is doing the job or not?

Even with the Audio script in the DSDT you still need some Audio Mod Kext, Yet Ethernet and graphics work 100% with the script in the DSDT.aml?

Maybe someday the DSDT will be perfected. There are people using a MAc CST/PSS for some Motherboards because they are unable to extract complete SSDT tables like my ASUs Maximus Formula. On the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3p I have an option for C1E and C2/C4 and I am able to extract all the CST and PSS code from the SSDT tables.

I just don't know why some motherbaord Manufacturers allow complete SSDT tables while others don't. I put in for the tawain engineers to get that option on the Asus Maximus so I can extract CST script from the SSDT table.

WHo knows if they update the BIOS with this fix or not? I wonder why/how we are able to extract the CST script from the M1530 Motherboard BIOS?

I need to check the OperationRegions ememory addresses on timmyj9 DSDT to make sure its the same as mine if nto I can just change the address to the correct one. Same with the PR block has to match my DSDT, although we do have the exact same configurations down to the wireless card.

• 4 weeks later...
Dual Boot Part:

Partition with a bootable (10.5x) dvd. The partitions should be GUID. If you really want MBR, you can install Snow Leopard FIRST on GUID then restore the data to a clean/reformatted MBR partition.

After the restore, install chameleon again so that the partition will boot. You should set the SL partiton as "active" if you want it to be the default boot partition.

m1530 Snow Leopard Part:

1) Restore vanilla dmg to a usb thumb drive or hd. The thumb drive or hd partition should be guid.

2) Download files from this post.

3) Open Terminal, do sudo -s, put in your pass. navigate to

type: "./<path>/snow_installer-m1530/installnow.sh"

Go thru the installer steps. After the installer is done, replace the DSDT with the one in m1530_generic_dsdt folder. This dsdt DOES NOT have SpeedStep which is processor specific. It doesn't have audio or video/graphics injects. It is the bare

minimum dsdt for m1530.

4) Copy Snow_Installer-m1530 to restore location. I put mine in "Optional Installs" folder. Remember!: DO NOT RESTART COMPUTER AFTER SL INSTALL IS COMPLETE.

5) Edit com.apple.boot.plist, the resolution should be the resolution of your screen. The one in this plist is mine.

6) Restart computer, select options which allow you to boot from usb during start.

7) You should be in 10.6 install now.

8) Partition/allocate your hd space in GUID

9) Install SL to the partition of your choice

10) After the install is complete, DO NOT RESTART. Go to terminal from the menubar. no sudo required. do "./Volumes/<name of usb>/Optional \ Installs/snow_installer-m1530/installnow.sh"

Go thru the installer steps.

11) In terminal do

cd /

cd /Volumes/<name of newly created sl partiton>Extra/

rm -RF dsdt.aml

11) Do "cp /Volumes/<name of usb>Optional \ Installs/snow_installer-m1530/m1530_generic_dsdt/dsdt.aml /Extra/

12) In terminal again:

cd /

cd /Volumes/<name of newly created sl partiton>/System/Library/Extensions/

rm -RF /IOATAFamily.kext so that you won't get a kernel panic during boot.

13) Reboot

14) Run kext utility to make caches (faster startup)

15) Reboot, Run in verbose mode and see if you see errors.

Fix your ethernet mac and add your wifi on IO80211.kext plist if needed (I have 1395 so I had to add the id into the plist)

If you want to continue using the generic m1530, then you should try the Native SpeedStep kext (install in /Extra/Extensions then run kext utility again)

if you continue using generic m1530 then you should also using graphics enabler option in com.apple.boot.plist

If you use NativeSpeedStep then you won't need nullcpu kext. The same goes if you have a modded dsdt with speedstep inject, remove nullcpu kext.

I hope this helps.

PS: none of the files are my creation. i edited them to my liking...

Okay, so I've been trying to get SL to install on my XPS 1530 for about 3 weeks, but I still cant get it to work. . . I have a T9300 2.5 ghz and an 8600GT and i tried Brett's installation, but as soon as SL tries installing and it shows me the progress bar, the computer hangs and the screen goes dark and i see something like this.

106227_3.jpg

Now i tried this guide and i was able (with Brett's DSDT) to get the installer to around 95%, but then it says the installation failed because SL couldn't restart to that hard drive, or something like that. I am a n00b, but I've tried keeping my mouth shut for now and tried getting it to work on my own, but i'm really stuck now!!!

any ideas??

Okay, so I've been trying to get SL to install on my XPS 1530 for about 3 weeks, but I still cant get it to work. . . I have a T9300 2.5 ghz and an 8600GT and i tried Brett's installation, but as soon as SL tries installing and it shows me the progress bar, the computer hangs and the screen goes dark and i see something like this.

106227_3.jpg

Now i tried this guide and i was able (with Brett's DSDT) to get the installer to around 95%, but then it says the installation failed because SL couldn't restart to that hard drive, or something like that. I am a n00b, but I've tried keeping my mouth shut for now and tried getting it to work on my own, but i'm really stuck now!!!

any ideas??

Boot with -v then take a picture of the screen and post it here...

Hi donkey,

I've tried your method of installing SL but i'm ending up on the "hold down the power button or press the restart button etc." error message. I've done all the steps up to 6) Restart computer, select options which allow you to boot from usb during start. Then i see the nice little chameleon at the top and the bar counting down to see if i want to boot from a different disk. I leave everything alone and then i see the apple logo and then the stupid error msg appears.

I don't see any 5 second timer or any where that i can press tab and then -v so that i can find out what caused the error message is. What now?

Thanks

EDIT: Btw, i have a 2.0GHz CPU in my m1530, could this be the cause of the problem?

any chance this might work on my m1530? what version should I install if so? retail, iatkos or vanilla?

XPS M1530, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.1GHz/800MHzFSB, 3M L2 Cache)

128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G

Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card

4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm

160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive Samsung

Optiarc DVD+-RW Ad-7640 ATA

thanks in advance

any chance this might work on my m1530? what version should I install if so? retail, iatkos or vanilla?

XPS M1530, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.1GHz/800MHzFSB, 3M L2 Cache)

128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G

Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card

4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm

160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive Samsung

Optiarc DVD+-RW Ad-7640 ATA

thanks in advance

Use Vanialla install for 10.6 for 10.5x use a distro like iatkos or something. The guide here is for 10.6x. You can get it to work on your laptop.

Hi donkey,

I've tried your method of installing SL but i'm ending up on the "hold down the power button or press the restart button etc." error message. I've done all the steps up to 6) Restart computer, select options which allow you to boot from usb during start. Then i see the nice little chameleon at the top and the bar counting down to see if i want to boot from a different disk. I leave everything alone and then i see the apple logo and then the stupid error msg appears.

I don't see any 5 second timer or any where that i can press tab and then -v so that i can find out what caused the error message is. What now?

Thanks

EDIT: Btw, i have a 2.0GHz CPU in my m1530, could this be the cause of the problem?

I noticed that you found the timer in the other post. Pretty much any m1530 can work with 10.6x. You just have to have time time and patience to install it... The new error that you posted on other guide thread could be associated with perhaps deleting the wrong kext? Have you deleted IOATAFamily from the USB now?

Guys, I have the xps M1530 laptop with nvidia 8600GT installed SL and everything works but the video is jerky. It plays video but it kind of jumps so the video playback is not smooth. And the other issue is when I try to run Iweb 09 and select a template the template is empty. It works fine on Ideneb 10.5.8 but no in SL.

Any help? I am willing to donate via paypal for helping me out.

Thanks

Guys, I have the xps M1530 laptop with nvidia 8600GT installed SL and everything works but the video is jerky. It plays video but it kind of jumps so the video playback is not smooth. And the other issue is when I try to run Iweb 09 and select a template the template is empty. It works fine on Ideneb 10.5.8 but no in SL.

Any help? I am willing to donate via paypal for helping me out.

Thanks

I'm getting a similar problem, i think it may be because of the GPU. The OS isn't recognising my Nvidia 8600m GT gpu chipset, it recognises it as a generic nvidia gpu chipset.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to boot the Snow Leopard Install from my usb drive using these instructions

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1287474

but when I boot to the installer I get the Apple logo then the power button restart screen.

Using a Dell XPS

M1530 CPU T5550

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (I know this doesn't work)

4GB Ram

Don't know what other info you need but that's the jist of it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello nerdy hackintoshers,

i am interested in following the developments around installing SL on an XPS 1530, as well. Let me just say, as someone who is currently running a dual-boot Win7/OSX 10.5.8 system...this is not an endeavor for the faint of heart or easily discouraged. I estimate having spent about 300 hours of sleepless nights and stress to get it functioning. Everything that could have went wrong did -- twice -- and I don't ever want to do it again. That said, though...it was a great feeling when it all came together in the end.

So, I'm interested in upgrading to SL, but super-wary about the potential for disaster. If you're considering doing the dual-boot thing, I definitely recommend using two HDs. Makes it easier.

Good Luck!

nyc_ghost

Hey,

Created USB of the dmg, ran the installnow, the extra stuff was created, replaced dsdt with the one from snow_installer, edited the plist according to my resolution.

Now getting kernel panic complaining about IOATAFamily when run in verbose mode.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

I used DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20091117.zip from this post :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...190780&st=0

Installation is going, 21 minutes left. I will do all the stuff before rebooting. I would like to try to generate DSDT but in any case I can stick to the one that I found. So, I will experiment and let you guys know.

Best,

Chris

Hi,

I used myHack to install SL on my XPS 1530. I created the USB stick and, i boot from it for the first boot to continue the install. The bootloader worsk fine and start on mys USB Stick named OSX86. But when it starts i have this message in a gray screen :

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again."

So, i did it, the PC restart with the USB stick plugged, and i had the same message again and again.

I had the same when i tried to install SL with Empire EFI.

If someone had an idea on what happened...

Thanks

With myHack, try selecting the option of booting without cache when you get to the screen where you see your USB stick. Press the down arrow twice to select boot without cache. This should boot your laptop, but be informed that you will need a USB mouse and keyboard as myHack may not have the necessary kexts for the laptop's keyboard and trackpad.

Does anyone know how to edit dsdt, and is willing to help me? My processor is T5250 and my graphic is 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT. I generated a dsdt but I'm not sure how to properly edit it to get sleep working (yes, according to some members here, a properly edited dsdt will get you that function with this laptop). I generated the dsdt using DSDTse.

Please help.

Hi,

I used myHack to install SL on my XPS 1530. I created the USB stick and, i boot from it for the first boot to continue the install. The bootloader worsk fine and start on mys USB Stick named OSX86. But when it starts i have this message in a gray screen :

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again."

So, i did it, the PC restart with the USB stick plugged, and i had the same message again and again.

I had the same when i tried to install SL with Empire EFI.

If someone had an idea on what happened...

Thanks

dsdt.aml.zip

@iOSX86_iATKOS

Thanks a lot ! I press down twice and i had the boot menu. I tired Boot ignore cache, but the same Reboot message appears. So i select Boot verbose, and my PC stopped at The Kernel version line and shows the system uptime in nanoseconds (?).

So, what i have to do ? Is it better to use Vanilla instead of myHack for the 1530 ? Where i could find it ?

Thanks

If you're booting with verbose, the screen will tell you which kext is the culprit. Look about five lines up from the "nanoseconds" to find out what's causing your crash.

My suspicion is the "ioatafamily.kext" in your /system/library/extensions is causing your system from booting. You will have to delete that file on your USB drive if it exists.

Here's a guide that Brett Whinnen wrote:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...9654&st=705

What's important is the kexts that are required (they're attached in his post as "Extra.zip").

I'd stick with the myHack since you've already prepared the USB drive, but check to see if you have "ioatafamily.kext" -- which is what is likely causing the KP. Also, after you install your system, make sure you remove the same kext from your hard drive's /S/L/E folder.

@iOSX86_iATKOS

Thanks a lot ! I press down twice and i had the boot menu. I tired Boot ignore cache, but the same Reboot message appears. So i select Boot verbose, and my PC stopped at The Kernel version line and shows the system uptime in nanoseconds (?).

So, what i have to do ? Is it better to use Vanilla instead of myHack for the 1530 ? Where i could find it ?

Thanks

Hey,

Make sure that you patch the USB on the actual machine (where you are installing the SL). You may use iATKOS to get a working install of 10.5.7 easily and run it there. The DSDT patch needs to access ACPI on the actual machine to patch DSDT.aml with values specific to your hardware. If you can't/don't want to use iATKOS it's possible to generate DSDT.aml for your machine using Linux. Search for posts on this forum. The install script provided by donkey (installnow) does really good job on setting everything up.

IOATAFamily, when staring, checks for the IDE channels and it expects to find two of them. If it doesn't find the second IDE channel it craps out with null pointer error therefore you need to use the patched version of IOATAFamily that donkey provided in his package (Extra/Extensions). However, I noticed if DSDT is wrong you can still get that error, even when using properly patched IOATAFamily.kext.

If after reading all posts in this thread you are still asking how to get SL on M1530, hackintosh probably isn't for you.

Myself I'm still missing two things :

1. DSDT hacks for sleep

2. Don't know how to get ALPS touchpad working with tapping and any kind of scrolling (tried Voodoo stuff for 64-bit) but probably screwed something up. Do I need VoodooPS2Controller AND VoodooPS2Touchpad or should I replace Controller with Touchpad? Does the preferences pane work for ALPS?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Chris

Hi guys,

i have worked for 5 days to install SL 10.6 + Win7 with Dualboot options on Startup. it have taken me severals installs of the OS's, but now it works fine for me.

i have a M1530 with a T8100 and Nvidia 8600GT 256MB

There are only a few things i would like to fix in OSX:

sleep, shutdown, restart

HDMI-Video+Audio Output

VGA-Output

Wlan, ethernet (Intel 4685) --> found a beta-fix, but after installation on restart there came up the "Press down to restart"-message with the gray background.

im a newbie on doing this things, so whats about that DSDT-stuff? Would this help me?

cheers