verdant

nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

THANK you VErdant,

I am such an idiot, mixing up the dsmos and fakesmc ;) . Sry for wasting your time ;) Booting 10.6.4 working perfect

Ok now the nforce problem:

I installed nforce LAN via installer: Reboot/Shutdown problem.

I then tried out the method you postet above(I that right?--> I just copied the code to terminal--> some errors appeared, but it seems that something was done).

I just was happy, when I was able to reboot normally, but then I noticed that Ethernet was dead :( .

I than just tried to copied the nforcelan kext form S/L/E to E/E. Then Network was working, but again reboot failed(Even when I retried these steps from that point)

Should I delete extensions.mkext?

Hope you can help

Suggest you try the following:

1. Remove any nForceLAN kext(s) from /E/E/ and from /S/L/E/

2. Go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/ and delete Extensions.mkext

3. Put nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in /S/L/E/

4. Reset nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext ownership and permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

5. To ensure that the nForceLAN kext in /S/L/E/ is also included in the Extensions.mkext file in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/, go to the Terminal and type:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

6. Reboot with -v

If, once you have sorted out the nForceLAN kext location(s), you are still having problems, nvenet.kext may be the problem..........in which case:

7. Put the modified IONetwokingFamily.kext that I included in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.3 in /E/E/

8. Create a symbolic link in /S/L/E/ for it

cd /Extra/Extensions/
sudo ln -s IONetwokingFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

9. Rename the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext in /S/L/E/

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo mv IONetworkingFamily.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext.orig
ls -l
exit

Advertisement

Ok I tried these steps.

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extension

brought some errors with IONetworkingfamily.kext

the last step was not sucessfull, because i did this one time ago.

So result: Ethernet working, reboot still fails

Trying with older/newer versions?

Hey guys,

Sorry its been a while. As soon as the Arg vs Mex game is over im goin to try and do all the steps to fix my install. I tihnk mine might be a mix of dsmos and fakesmc. Well i hope its that simple. And it seems to be weird that my computer is connected to the network but its not sharing anything. Kinda annoying...

Ok I tried these steps.

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extension

brought some errors with IONetworkingfamily.kext

the last step was not sucessfull, because i did this one time ago.

So result: Ethernet working, reboot still fails

Trying with older/newer versions?

My guess is that the Ethernet and reboot problem not likely to be related........

Do not worry about errors with IONetworkingfamily.kext on kextcaching...........it is only because symbolic links cannot be cached in Extensions.mkext.......the kextcache command has worked because your Ethernet now works........ :D

Can you give me some more detail on how you go about rebooting and what you see on screen.......screenshots would be helpful...........?

Hey Verdant!

I think it is related to nforceLAN, as I said even if I have the nforceLAN in S/L/E but the ethernet was not working for some reasons(First time I tried steps Ethernet wasnt working), reboot was working.

When Ethnernet Repaired (or nforceLAN moved manually to right folders etc.) reboot was unsucessfull.

Reboot was also sucessfull on 10.6 clean install and fresh 10.6.4 update(if that helps ?!)

The reboot progress is for me like interupted or something. It is like normal reboot or shutdown (screen just goes black, or better the screen gets no input), but the machine is still running(the LED´s on my Case are blinking--> Machine is still on). I waited 10 minutes, but no movement.

Screenshot would be useless, I guess, I could make a video, if its really necessary(but you will only see what I described)

Thank you for your endurance

Hey Verdant!

I think it is related to nforceLAN, as I said even if I have the nforceLAN in S/L/E but the ethernet was not working for some reasons(First time I tried steps Ethernet wasnt working), reboot was working.

When Ethnernet Repaired (or nforceLAN moved manually to right folders etc.) reboot was unsucessfull.

Reboot was also sucessfull on 10.6 clean install and fresh 10.6.4 update(if that helps ?!)

The reboot progress is for me like interupted or something. It is like normal reboot or shutdown (screen just goes black, or better the screen gets no input), but the machine is still running(the LED´s on my Case are blinking--> Machine is still on). I waited 10 minutes, but no movement.

Screenshot would be useless, I guess, I could make a video, if its really necessary(but you will only see what I described)

Thank you for your endurance

What I mean is that it is not the nForceLAN.kext that is the problem.........but because the kext activates your onboard Ethernet............the active port may be affecting reboot somehow.......

I say this because:

A. I have an Asus P5N-32E SLI Plus 650i chipset MOBO with no issues with Ethernet/nForceLAN/reboot/shutdown issues when running 10.6.0 through to 10.6.4 using OpenHaltRestart.kext.......

B. On restart/shutdown I get a screen message saying something like "all processes killed, CPU shut down" etc........I will post the exact message when I am back on the PC.......

So, some "silly" questions:

1. What you describe is what happens when you try to "sleep" the PC..........sleep does not work on nForce MOBOs at present.........you have not accidently installed SleepEnabler.kext to try it? It does not work........

2. In BIOS, check your LAN settings such as wake on LAN, LAN Boot ROM etc.......also your Suspend mode settings......

3. Have you got Firewire enabled or disabled in BIOS?

What I mean is that it is not the nForceLAN.kext that is the problem.........but because the kext activates your onboard Ethernet............the active port may be affecting reboot somehow.......

I say this because:

A. I have an Asus P5N-32E SLI Plus 650i chipset MOBO with no issues with Ethernet/nForceLAN/reboot/shutdown issues when running 10.6.0 through to 10.6.4 using OpenHaltRestart.kext.......

B. On restart/shutdown I get a screen message saying something like "all processes killed, CPU shut down" etc........I will post the exact message when I am back on the PC.......

So, some "silly" questions:

1. What you describe is what happens when you try to "sleep" the PC..........sleep does not work on nForce MOBOs at present.........you have not accidently installed SleepEnabler.kext to try it? It does not work........

2. In BIOS, check your LAN settings such as wake on LAN, LAN Boot ROM etc.......also your Suspend mode settings......

3. Have you got Firewire enabled or disabled in BIOS?

Okay:

1. There is no sleeoEnabler.kext, never touched this

2. LAN Controller is Enabled, Lan Boot Rom was disabled, enabling seems to have no effect

3. Firewire was enabled, disabling also no effect

Hm ;)

Is there any hope? Should I do a reinstall with that new BIOS settings, would there be any effect?

If you have no other idea, I will post a complete BIOS Screenshot+ Manual, and a complete screenshot package with kexts in E/E and S/L/E, if that could help

Okay:

1. There is no sleeoEnabler.kext, never touched this

2. LAN Controller is Enabled, Lan Boot Rom was disabled, enabling seems to have no effect

3. Firewire was enabled, disabling also no effect

Hm ;)

Is there any hope? Should I do a reinstall with that new BIOS settings, would there be any effect?

If you have no other idea, I will post a complete BIOS Screenshot+ Manual, and a complete screenshot package with kexts in E/E and S/L/E, if that could help

It looks like I will need to look at what you propose to send...........

Hey, you have PM.

I think we should switch to private messages, instead of making this thread bigger and bigger. The solution can than be posted :construction:

Hey, you have PM.

I think we should switch to private messages, instead of making this thread bigger and bigger. The solution can than be posted ;)

Agreed.........I have replied by PM............

Hello Verdant,

Thank you very much for your continued support of people using this guide and others you have written.

I exchanged a couple of messages with you last week or so and you pointed me to this guide as I have the same motherboard as you, Asus P5n-e sli.

I've printed and read this guide and honestly, I just dont understand it well enough to use it. I got as far as formatting a USB drive to use with retail DVD and then I just cant follow what to do exactly yet.

But, I found another guide you wrote, "TriBooting Installing Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Using iATKOS S3 Version 2 Snow Leopard". I followed this and managed to get Snow Leopard running but with one limitation - I am stuck on 1024 x 768 resolution. I've searched extensively and realise now this is a common issue. I have read about EFI strings and the possibility of removing and installing kexts but I just need a little bit of advise and help specific to what I should do.....I'm not greatly experienced with this but I'm learning.

My GPU is a 6800GS 256mb. With Leopard Kalyway 10.5.2 I used NVInject 256 and it worked perfectly. With this iAtkos Snow Leopard install, only using GraphicsEnabler will successfully boot the OS, but the only resolution available is 1024 x 768.

I realise you will probably need more information from me to be able to help and thats fine :(

Regards,

Paul.

Well Verdant!

I have a booting 10.6.4 kernel thanks to you! I wish i could give you a huge hug or somethin. Id send you a few bucks but i am BROKE as a JOKE... College sucks sometimes... Well I am possibly one of the happiest people alive. I was gonna sell my desktop but i didnt want to. And now i dont! Thank you so much!

Hey Paulyh,

What i did was if your using 2 different hard drives you can be inside your Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 and run the 10.6 snow leopard install disk and run the OSXinstall.mpkg and install it directly to the other hard drive or partition and then just install chameleon RC3 and EFI string and it should work perfectly. You just gotta boot up with "-v arch=i386" and your good. Thats what i did. All the USB installers and that nonsense wouldnt work for me.

*EDIT* BTW if you wanna get in touch with me googletalk = SilverSix311

Well Verdant!

I have a booting 10.6.4 kernel thanks to you! I wish i could give you a huge hug or somethin. Id send you a few bucks but i am BROKE as a JOKE... College sucks sometimes... Well I am possibly one of the happiest people alive. I was gonna sell my desktop but i didnt want to. And now i dont! Thank you so much!

Glad to help.......... :)

Hello Verdant,

Thank you very much for your continued support of people using this guide and others you have written.

I exchanged a couple of messages with you last week or so and you pointed me to this guide as I have the same motherboard as you, Asus P5n-e sli.

I've printed and read this guide and honestly, I just dont understand it well enough to use it. I got as far as formatting a USB drive to use with retail DVD and then I just cant follow what to do exactly yet.

But, I found another guide you wrote, "TriBooting Installing Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Using iATKOS S3 Version 2 Snow Leopard". I followed this and managed to get Snow Leopard running but with one limitation - I am stuck on 1024 x 768 resolution. I've searched extensively and realise now this is a common issue. I have read about EFI strings and the possibility of removing and installing kexts but I just need a little bit of advise and help specific to what I should do.....I'm not greatly experienced with this but I'm learning.

My GPU is a 6800GS 256mb. With Leopard Kalyway 10.5.2 I used NVInject 256 and it worked perfectly. With this iAtkos Snow Leopard install, only using GraphicsEnabler will successfully boot the OS, but the only resolution available is 1024 x 768.

I realise you will probably need more information from me to be able to help and thats fine :)

Regards,

Paul.

What happens when you try to change resolution via System Preferences > Displays? Do you see different resolution options in the pop-up window?

SilverSix311 - Thanks for the reply. So you think I should try just installing with the retail DVD and pointing it to the second drive from within my current 10.5.2 installation. Interesting, I'll give it a go and see.

Verdant - Via system preferences only 1024 x 768 is available as an option.

SilverSix311 - Thanks for the reply. So you think I should try just installing with the retail DVD and pointing it to the second drive from within my current 10.5.2 installation. Interesting, I'll give it a go and see.

Verdant - Via system preferences only 1024 x 768 is available as an option.

Check that you have NVDANV40Hal.kext in /S/L/E/ and try first switching your display connector port (if you can) to the other port on your graphics card) (if your card has two)

From post #1, have you tried all 3 methods (mutually exclusive) for getting nVidia graphics cards working:

The 3 easiest methods for getting an nVidia graphics card working in Snow Leopard are as follows (easiest first).

1. Chameleon 2.0 GraphicsEnabler option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

2. Hexadecimal graphics string option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>"for example, 6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c.." </string>

where the graphics string is generated by EFIStudio v1.1 or OSx86Tools.....

3. NVEnabler injector kext, Injector kext, which enables TV-OUT and injects 2nd display operation very well......

The NVEnabler.kext (32bit/64bit) is not just another injector kext because it does on-the-fly ROM patching to give a more stable output configuration.......but you still need to insert your graphics card(s) Device ID into the Info,plist files of the NVDAResman.kext and the NVDANV40hal.kext or NVDANV50hal.kext (to see which of these kexts you need to modify to suit your graphics card(s), look at the list of Snow Leopard supported nVidia cards in post 1.......the older NVDANV30Hal, NVDANV20Hal and NVDANV10Hal kexts are not present in Snow Leopard.....).

If not try all three and report back.............

Since the Southbridge chipset deals with SATA/PATA I/O, I suggest you try the various AppleNForceATA kexts to see which one is the most stable with your setup and use pattern, and also use the nForceIOATAFamily.kext..........see post #1...................you could also see if unchecking "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" in Energy Saver improves matters................

It appears that all I had to do was uncheck put the hard disk to sleep when possible fixed this problem. I haven't tried tranfserring anything, but just played around in Logic for over an hour without a freeze. I got my fingers crossed that that's all I needed to do.

It appears that all I had to do was uncheck put the hard disk to sleep when possible fixed this problem. I haven't tried tranfserring anything, but just played around in Logic for over an hour without a freeze. I got my fingers crossed that that's all I needed to do.

Hope it stays that simple........... ^_^

Yo I have trouble booting the dvd. I have a sata dvd drive as sata 5, and 2 identical sata HDD's as sata 6 and 7. I can almost boot my retail disk using nForceSLBOOT for sata. AppleNForceata can find everything and there are no sam read write errors, but when the framebuffer pops up, the only thing I can do is move my spinning beach ball on a gray screen. After about a minute of nothing, HDD activity and DVD activity stop completely. I have an xfx NForce 680i LT, 64 bit compatible cpu and 6 gigabytes of ram. I have tried booting with "arch=i386 maxmem=3072" but still no luck. Any help is appreciated.

P.S. My setup can run osx, I have booted and installed leohazard before ( but leohazard just doesnt work well at all ) and I have had a working SL installation ( but I had to upgrade from this really wierd distro called LawlessPPC )

Yo I have trouble booting the dvd. I have a sata dvd drive as sata 5, and 2 identical sata HDD's as sata 6 and 7. I can almost boot my retail disk using nForceSLBOOT for sata. AppleNForceata can find everything and there are no sam read write errors, but when the framebuffer pops up, the only thing I can do is move my spinning beach ball on a gray screen. After about a minute of nothing, HDD activity and DVD activity stop completely. I have an xfx NForce 680i LT, 64 bit compatible cpu and 6 gigabytes of ram. I have tried booting with "arch=i386 maxmem=3072" but still no luck. Any help is appreciated.

P.S. My setup can run osx, I have booted and installed leohazard before ( but leohazard just doesnt work well at all ) and I have had a working SL installation ( but I had to upgrade from this really wierd distro called LawlessPPC )

1. nForce chipset MOBOs that use AppleNForceATA can only boot in 32bit mode

2. What happens when you boot with

arch=i386 cpus=1 -v -x maxmem=2048

3. As for DVDRW use, your easiest path will be to use a PATA (IDE) DVDRW jumper-set and connected as Master, as usually the SATA DVDRW may be able to read but cannot burn disks in OS X.....

@ Starbuxx

Its a 10/100 Card, same values as onboard device. Windows seems ok, its a bit slower, perhaps 10%, but in OSX its 90% slower or so, watching youtube is horrible.

In my Windows Device Manager it says: D-LINK for Realtek RTL8139/810x Family

Is there an alternative kext for that?

Also some things I noticed: I installed Steam for MAC and CounterStrike Source runs, but a bit laggy and slow( even slower than on my old notebook). Is it, because of inserting the string just to com.apple.plist, so I have to try the third method(injector?) on post #1?

The Realtek RTL8139/810x Family chipset can be problematic..........try the PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext (MD5: 1AECD6B3788E378BA1AFB918CC7595EA) in /E/E/.....

@ Starbuxx

The Realtek RTL8139/810x Family chipset can be problematic..........try the PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext (MD5: 1AECD6B3788E378BA1AFB918CC7595EA) in /E/E/.....

Thank you!!

I tried it out, removing the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext and instert PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext to the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext using some tutorials. It is working, but was it right? Would it also work with modified IONetworkingFamily.kext and PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext in E/E? Would that be a better alternative?

Greetings

Starbuxx

Thank you!!

I tried it out, removing the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext and instert PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext to the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext using some tutorials. It is working, but was it right? Would it also work with modified IONetworkingFamily.kext and PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext in E/E? Would that be a better alternative?

Greetings

Starbuxx

Hi there,

Glad it is working for you........ :)

If you have onboard LAN switched off in BIOS there is no need to worry about nvenet anymore.......

I would try putting your modified IONetworkingFamily.kext (contining PCGenRTL8139.kext in PlugIns) in /E/E/ with a sym link in /S/L/E/ since a future system update by overwrite it with a newer IONetworkingFamily.kext in /S/L/E/..........

I installed snow lepord server late last night, it was going pretty slow on a core2duo 2.4ghz with 4gb ram so i let it go for an hour and i think it either finished and restarted or auto-restarted. now i boot chamelon off the thumb drive and choose the server partition. it begins to boot and then sadly a cancel sign apears and it hangs, so via google that is a form of a kernal panic and not being able to find the root directory properly.

soo what am i doing wrong.

USB Thumb drive

Chamelon RC3 with i386flag and graphics enabler yes

I installed snow lepord server late last night, it was going pretty slow on a core2duo 2.4ghz with 4gb ram so i let it go for an hour and i think it either finished and restarted or auto-restarted. now i boot chamelon off the thumb drive and choose the server partition. it begins to boot and then sadly a cancel sign apears and it hangs, so via google that is a form of a kernal panic and not being able to find the root directory properly.

soo what am i doing wrong.

USB Thumb drive

Chamelon RC3 with i386flag and graphics enabler yes

An install should take about half an hour.........here are the contents of the USB flash drive installer I use on my MOBO:

post-200327-1278169906_thumb.png

The AD1988bFix.kext and the nForceIOATAFamily.kext are not needed for the SL installation procedure.......

Try in order the following:

1. Use Chameleon RC3 alone

2. Use a simple com.apple.Boot.plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

3. Use only the following kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ with no Extensions.mkext file on the USB flash drive or on the HDD OS X volume

AppleNForceATA.slash

fakesmc.V2

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

4. PM me a download link for your DSDT.aml file

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By verdant
      nForce OS X El Capitan (OS X 10.11.6) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE
      on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO
      (and some other BIOS-based MOBOs as well, e.g. Asus P5Q, P5Q Pro, P5Q-E, P5Q Deluxe)

INTRODUCTION

A. Motherboard and Chipset Applicability:

1. Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBOs

This guide is primarily focussed on installing and running OS X El Capitan on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU BIOS-based MOBOs with an nVidia graphics card.

{a} This is simply because I have an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus  650i nForce chipset + Intel Q6600 CPU MOBO + GeForce 9800GT 512MB graphics card........but what works for the 650i should and invariably does work for the 650i Ultra, 680i, 750i, 780i, 790i, and 790i Ultra.....hence my topic tags....

{b} Note that in my topic tags, I say that this guide may only possibly be applicable to the 630i chipset.
      This is because it is still my current understanding is that the following nForce chipsets are not fully AHCI compliant and so can be used with imk's 64bit version (or subsequent versions of the AppleNForceATA.kext, such Tora Chi Yo's AppleNforceATA 1.0.6 version based on the AnV 1.0.4 32/64 Version etc.):

nForce 430/410 (MCP51),
      nForce 590/570/550/680i/650i/780i/750i/790i (MCP55)
      nForce 430/405/400 (MCP61); nForce 560/520 (MCP65)
      nForce 630a (MCP67)

Furthermore, the MOBOs using one of these nForce chipsets usually have the BIOS option to set the enable nForce SATA Controller and require SATA RAID to be Enabled (implicitly enabling AHCI mode) even when not running a RAID system, for the NForceATA.kext to work.
      In contrast, the following nForce chipsets are/may be fully-AHCI compliant and so do not/may not work with the AppleNForceATA.kext:
      nForce 560/520 (MCP65) and nForce 630a (MCP67); nForce 630i/620i/610i (MCP73), nForce 730a/720a/710a (MCP78) and nForce ION (MCP79) nForce chipsets (MCP65 and higher) support the advanced SATA features in the AHCI standard, such as NCQ etc.
      The MOBOs using one of these nForce chipsets usually have the BIOS option to set the nForce SATA Controllers to "AHCI Mode" instead of "IDE Mode".

{c} As I use an nVidia graphics card, the guide is naturally written from an nVidia perspective; nevertheless, I hope that owners of a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO with an ATI graphics card will use it too.

For help with:
      (i) AMD/ATI graphics cards, IM is your friend......
      (ii) For help with mixed multiple AMD/ATI and/or nVidia graphics cards and /or multiple displays, Google is your friend......e.g. aqua-mac, netkas, and later others.......

2. Non-nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs

Non-nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs users may also be able to use the guide, or at least also find it interesting and even helpful in places too.......

I say this because:

{a} Each reader's MOBO brand/model typically has to have its own custom setup for DSDT/audio/networking/video etc.

{b} It is primarily the need for the AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ or in /System/Library/ Extensions/ and nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in /System/Library/ Extensions/, as well not being able to use a SleepEnabler.kext and having issues with sleep that distinguishes nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs from non-nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs rather than the basic procedures for installing OS X.........

Hence,  I have also used my USB installer (produced using this guide) with just a DSDT.aml file swap (as any nForce chipset-specific kexts in /System/Library/Extensions are not loaded into the kernel when OS X is running on a non-nForce chipset MOBO) to suit each MOBO, to install OS X 10.11.6 onto my Asus P5Q, P5Q Pro, P5Q-E and P5Q Deluxe MOBOs......

3. Bootloader Choice 

Firstly, may I say that I am very pleased with all the parallel progress being made with the Clover and Enoch (Chameleon) boot loaders as they both allow OS X El Capitan and Mac OS Sierra etc. to be booted on PCs.......  

However,  as the user of multiple BIOS-based 'legacy LGA775' MOBOs, I am especially thankful for the efforts of ErmaC and Micky1979 (not forgetting the original efforts of all the Chameleon team) in continuing to develop the Enoch (Chameleon) boot loader to the extent that it can successfully boot OS X El Capitan (and Mac OS Sierra) on BIOS MOBOs, and it is the boot loader (r2839) that I am currently using for OS X El Capitan.

My primary reason for using the Enoch (Chameleon) boot loader to boot OS X 10.11.6 is that I previously used the Chameleon boot loader itself to boot OS X 10.5.8 through to OS X 10.10.5 (to which OS X 10.11.5 has now been added) all on a single MBR HDD and mostly mirrored on a single GPT HDD, along with Windows 7 and Linux on my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus  650i MOBO.

Nevertheless, if and when time allows, I will investigate the use of the Clover bootloader in legacy mode for comparison and interest. 

***************************************************************************************

This will be a "live guide" that will evolve in length depending on:

(i) my very limited free time (hence my only finding some free time now to install OS X 10.11.6 as my 'real life' is so busy    ) and

(ii) the continued level of interest and need via posts in this topic from other 'die-hard' nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO users (whose nForce MOBOs simply refuse to 'die', preventing an upgrade excuse!    ), especially IM members who have followed my previous nForce install guides... 

So, please read the current online "live" guide before attempting to follow it, even if you had previously followed an earlier version successfully.....

UNDER CONSTRUCTION......via OS X El Capitan on nForce    

Stage 1 construction will commence upon IM member request - I need to determine the level of 'need' for this guide before spending my time on it - I hope IM members understand....     

Part #1 DOWNLOADS and TOOLS USED

Part # 2 Making a Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive GPT/MBR OS X El Capitan(OS X 10.11.6) Installer

Part # 3 Installing a Bootable OS X El Capitan (OS X 10.11.6) System on either a GPT Partitioned Hard Drive Volume OR a MBR Partitioned Hard Drive Volume Using a Bootable GPT/MBR USB Flash Drive OS X El Capitan (OS X 10.11.6) Installer

Part #4 Cloning a Bootable OS X El Capitan (OS X 10.11.6) System installed on a GPT/HFS+ HDD (e.g. external USB HDD) to your internal HDD MBR/HFS+ OS X target volume

Potentially Stage 2 only by IM member request and as my time permits

Part #5 OS X El Capitan (OS X 10.11.6) Installation / Boot / Operation Issues

Part #6 How to Enable Natural Power Management ("vanilla SpeedStepping") in OS X El Capitan (OS X 10.11.6) on an nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO

Part #7 Getting Audio Working in OS X El Capitan (OS X 10.11.6
    • By verdant
      nForce OS X Yosemite (OS X 10.10) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE

(and some other BIOS-based MOBOs as well, e.g. P5Q, P5Q Pro, P5Q-E.....)

INTRODUCTION

A. Guide Structure:

The guide is split into sections and sub-sections (from post #1 to post #6) for ease of following and adding to....

Post #1 DOWNLOADS

Post # 2 Making a Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive GPT/MBR OS X Yosemite 10.10 Installer

Post # 3 Installing a Bootable OS X Yosemite (OS X 10.10) System on either a GPT Partitioned Hard Drive Volume OR a MBR Partitioned Hard Drive Volume Using a Bootable GPT/MBR USB Flash Drive OS X Yosemite (OS X 10.10) Installer

Post #3 Cloning a Bootable OX Yosemite 10.10 system installed on a GPT/HFS+ HDD (e.g. external USB HDD) to your internal HDD MBR/HFS+ OS X target volume

Post #4 OS X Yosemite Installation / Boot / Operation Issues

Issue 1. [PCI configuration begin] bootup error

Issue 2. Booting via the Chameleon boot loader installed on an Advanced Format (AF) hard drive

Post #5 How to Enable Natural Power Management ("vanilla SpeedStepping") in OS X Yosemite on an nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO

Post #6 Getting Audio Working in OS X Yosemite

It is a "live guide" that will evolve with both Yosemite and time (with some inevitable typo corrections, additions, deletions etc.).......

So, please read the current online "live" guide before attempting to follow it, even if you had previously followed an earlier version successfully.....

A. Guide applicability:

1. Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBOs

This guide is primarily focussed on installing and running OS X Yosemite on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU BIOS-based MOBOs with an nVidia graphics card.

{a} This is simply because I have a 650i nForce chipset + Intel Q6600 CPU MOBO + Inno3D GeForce 9800GT 512MB graphics card........but what works for the 650i should and invariably does work for the 650i Ultra, 680i, 750i, 780i, 790i, and 790i Ultra.....hence my topic tags....

{b} Note that in my topic tags, I say that this guide may only possibly be applicable to the  630i chipset.

This is because it is still my current understanding is that the following nForce chipsets are not fully AHCI compliant and so can be used with imk's 64bit version of the always mentioned nForceATA.kext:
      nForce 430/410 (MCP51), nForce 590/570/550/680i/650i/780i/750i/790i (MCP55) and nForce 430/405/400 (MCP61); nForce 560/520 (MCP65) and nForce 630a (MCP67)

Furthermore, the MOBOs using one of these nForce chipsets usually have the BIOS option to set the enable nForce SATA Controller and require SATA RAID to be Enabled (implicitly enabling AHCI mode) even when not running a RAID system, for the NForceATA.kext to work.

In contrast, the following nForce chipsets are/may be fully-AHCI compliant and so do not/may not work with the AppleNForceATA.kext:

nForce 560/520 (MCP65) and nForce 630a (MCP67); nForce 630i/620i/610i (MCP73), nForce 730a/720a/710a (MCP78) and nForce ION (MCP79) nForce chipsets (MCP65 and higher) support the advanced SATA features in the AHCI standard, such as NCQ etc.

The MOBOs using one of these nForce chipsets usually have the BIOS option to set the nForce SATA Controllers to "AHCI Mode" instead of "IDE Mode".

{c} As I use an nVidia graphics card, the guide is naturally written from an nVidia perspective; nevertheless, I hope that owners of a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO with an ATI graphics card will use it too.

For help with:

(i) AMD/ATI graphics cards, IM is your friend......

(ii) For help with mixed multiple AMD/ATI and/or nVidia graphics cards and /or multiple displays, Google is your friend......as are aqua-mac, netkas, and others.......

2. Non-nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs

Non-nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs users may also be able to use the guide, or at least also find it interesting and even helpful in places too.......

I say this because:

{a} Each reader's MOBO brand/model typically has to have its own custom setup for DSDT/audio/networking/video etc.

{b} It is primarily the need for the AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ and nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in /System/Library/ Extensions/, as well not being able to use a SleepEnabler.kext and having issues with sleep that distinguishes nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs from non-nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs rather than the basic procedures for installing OS X.........

Hence,  I have also used my USB installer (produced using this guide) with just a DSDT.aml file swap (as any nForce chipset-specific kexts in /System/Library/Extensions are not loaded into the kernel when OS X is running on a non-nForce chipset MOBO) to suit each MOBO, to install OS X 10.10 onto my Asus P5Q Pro MOBO and my Asus P5Q E MOBO...... .

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

PLEASE NOTE that ALL CREDIT goes (in no particular order and both historically and currently) the original developers of the included applications/kexts/bootloaders and boot files etc:

In /System/Library/Extensions/

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - David Elliott
      AD1998b.FIX.kext - THe KiNG
      AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext - MeDevil for original kext AND imk for the working 64bit version
      EvOreboot.kext - EvO Team
      FakeSMC.kext – netkas, Slice
      nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext – eno
      VoodooHDA patched for AD1988B (also works with AD2000B) - oldnalpalm

In boot sector, / and in /Extra/

Chameleon 2.3 svn r2401

Thanks to everyone involved in the development of Chameleon 2.2 svn r2401, making it a compatible bootloader for Yosemite......!

Yosemite boot support starting from Chameleon revision 2381
      Credits to:
      - Pike R. Alpha
      - ErmaC
      - Bungo
      - blackosx
      - Micky1979
      - crazybirdy
      - oldnapalm
      - janek202
      - MinusZwei
      - Andy Vandijck
      Credits to Chameleon Team http://forum.voodooprojects.org

Thanks also to MaLd0n for the MacPro3,1 SMBIOS.plist

Thanks also to oldnapalm for the Yosemite MBR Patch 10.10 (14A389)

Apologies to anyone I have forgotten, or do not know to mention, or have yet to mention in the above credits......

DOWNLOADS

Insanelymac Download Link for verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0

verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0.zip

verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0 Contents

>> 64bit Kexts for /System/Library/Extensions/
      ACPIMonitor.kext
      AD1998b.FIX.kext
      AppleHDA.1062.kext
      AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext
      AppleRTC.Yosemite.Patched.kext (using patch by Marchrius)
      EvOreboot.kext
      FakeSMC.kext
      IntelCPUMonitor.kext
      IntelThermal.kext
      nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext
      NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
      NVClockX.kext
      NVEnabler 64.kext
      SuperIOFamily.kext
      VoodooHDA.kext (patched for AD1988B by oldnapalm)

>> Applications
      Chameleon Wizard
      Kext Wizard
      SMC Monitor

>> Chameleon Bootloader
      Chameleon Bootloader Insanelymac Download Link

>> Changelog for verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0.rtf

>> EFI Graphics String Apps
      EFIStudio_GTX.zip
      EFIStudio.1.1.zip
      OSX86Tools_1.0.150.zip
      plist_gfxutil.zip

>> FakeSMC
      FakeSMC (3.1.0) - Revision 493. Made by mojodojo
      Release 10.6 - only use the HWSensor kexts appropriate for your hardware
      SMC_Stat_i - this is a SMC monitor menu bar app

>> MaLd0n Extra Folder
      Extra_Folder.zip - this is the .zip file for MaLd0n's Extra Folder.pkg

>> Pure 64bit Extra Kexts
      AHCIPortInjector.kext
      AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
      ApplePS2Controller.kext
      ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
      ApplePS2Mouse.kext
      ApplePS2Trackpad.kext
      ATAPortInjector.kext
      AtherosFix.kext
      FakeSMC.kext
      JMicron36xATA.kext
      JMicron36xSATA.kext
      OpenHaltRestart.kext
    • By verdant
      nForce OS X Mavericks (OS X 10.9) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE

GUIDE CONTENTS

OS X Mavericks 10.9 FREE RETAIL is now running on my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus nForce 650i MOBO, after installing to both MBR and GPT internal HDDs via my USB flash drive set up for GPT or MBR installation....  

So, my Install Guide is now UNDER CONSTRUCTION starting with Post #1......being typed from OS X Mavericks.......

Apologies for the slow completion of the guide but I have little free time and that is only on weekends......

Thanks
      verdant

NOTE - Text in Black in this Install Guide is not to be followed yet as part of the Install Guide as it is subject to re-writing and/or removal where no longer valid or relevant etc.

Post #1 - How to Prepare for Installing OS X Mavericks on a HDD

Introduction

Download Links 

Acknowledgements

Methods for

[1] Enabling the download of OS X Mavericks 10.9 FREE RETAIL from the Apple App Store - to follow

[2] Making a USB Flash Drive GPT/MBR Installer for OS X Mavericks 10.9:

Part A. Enabling Snow Leopard running in 64bit mode, or Lion or Mountain Lion running in default 64bit mode on an nForce MOBO for downloading OS X Mavericks FREE RETAIL from the Apple App Store

Part B. Making a Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive OS X Mavericks 10.9 GPT/MBR Installer

Post #2 - How to Install OS X Mavericks on a HDD

USB and DVD Installer Methods for Installing OS X Mavericks on a HDD Volume (GPT or MBR):

Part C. Installing a Bootable OS X Mavericks (OS X 10.9) System on either a GPT Partitioned Hard Drive Volume OR a MBR Partitioned Hard Drive Volume Using a Bootable GPT/MBR USB Flash Drive Installer

Part D. Cloning a Bootable OX Mavericks 10.9 system installed on a GPT/HFS+ HDD (e.g. external USB HDD) to an internal HDD MBR/HFS+ OS X target volume

Part E. Installing a Bootable OS X Mavericks 10.9 system on either a GPT Partitioned Hard Drive Volume OR a MBR Partitioned Hard Drive Volume Using verdant's OS X Mavericks 10.9 Dual Layer DVD GPT/MBR Installer

Post #3 - nVidia Graphics Card Operation in OS X Mavericks

Getting an nVidia graphics card working in Mavericks

Generating and Modifying an EFI Graphics String for Mavericks

Indications that Core Image (CI) and Quartz Extreme (QE) are both enabled in Mavericks

Obtaining the NVCAP data string from your nVidia graphics card BIOS via Windows

Inserting nVidia Graphics Card Hardware Matching Device ID into nVidia Graphics Kexts

Post #4 - Generating and Modifying the OS X Mavericks DSDT.aml File for Your Own nForce MOBO

Device (RTC) fix for the CMOS Reset issue

DTGP Method patch to enable use of other patches in the DSDT.aml file

Device (HPET) fix to enable the removal of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from /Extra/Extensions/ or /System/Library/Extensions/ and the loading of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Device (LPCB) patch insertion into the DSDT.aml file to enable Native Power Management in OS X Mavericks

Device (TMR) and Device (PIC) fixes to prevent audio "stuttering" when Native Power Management in OS X is enabled, i.e. after SpeedStepping with C-states is enabled

Post #5 - How to Enable Natural Power Management ("vanilla SpeedStepping") in OS X Mountain Lion (and OS X Lion and OS X Snow Leopard) on an nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO

Post #6 - OS X Mavericks Installation / Boot / Operation Issues

Issue 1. [PCI configuration begin] bootup error - proposed solutions

Issue 2. Setting up Builtin Ethernet manually / LAN0 / (en0) - proposed solutions

Post #7 - Getting Audio Working in OS X Mavericks

Asus SupremeFX II Audio Card (Analog Devices AD1988B 8-Channel High Definition Audio chipset/CODEC)

Post #8 - Peripheral Devices on nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs

Device 1. Asmedia 106x SATA Controller Ver 0.95 AHCI Mode

Issue 1. Displayed in System Report as "Generic AHCI Standard Controller:" and "Vendor: Generic"
      Issue 2. Updating the ASM1061 firmware from version 0.89 to version 0.95 and then 0.95.1
      Issue 3. Resolvable Issues when the Asmedia SATA Controller is connected to one or more SATA Optical Drives

INTRODUCTION

DOWNLOADS

Insanelymac Download Link for verdant_Mavericks_Support_Files_v1.0

verdant_Mavericks_Support_Files_v1.0.zip

verdant_Mavericks_Support_Files_v1.0 Contents

>> 64bit Kexts for /System/Library/Extensions/
      ACPIMonitor.kext
      AD1998b.FIX.kext
      AppleHDA.1062.kext
      AppleRTC.Mavericks.Patched.kext
      EvOreboot.kext
      FakeSMC.kext
      IntelCPUMonitor.kext
      IntelThermal.kext
      nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext
      NVClockX.kext
      NVEnabler 64.kext
      SuperIOFamily.kext
      VoodooHDA.kext (patched for AD1988B by oldnapalm)

>> Applications
      Chameleon Wizard
      Kext Wizard
      SMC Monitor

>> Chameleon Bootloader
      Chameleon Bootloader Insanelymac Download Link

>> Changelog for verdant_Mountain_LIon_Support_Files_v1.0.rtf

>> CUDA 5.5.28
      cudadriver-5.5.28-macos.dmg - this is the image file for v5.5.28 CUDADriver.pkg

>> EFI Graphics String Apps
      EFIStudio_GTX.zip
      EFIStudio.1.1.zip
      OSX86Tools_1.0.150.zip
      plist_gfxutil.zip

>> FakeSMC 
      FakeSMC (3.1.0) - Revision 493. Made by mojodojo
      Release 10.6 - only use the HWSensor kexts appropriate for your hardware
      SMC_Stat_i - this is a SMC monitor menu bar app

>> MaLd0n Extra Folder
      Extra_Folder.zip - this is the .zip file for MaLd0n's Extra Folder.pkg

>> Pure 64bit Extra Kexts
      AHCIPortInjector.kext
      AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
      ApplePS2Controller.kext
      ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
      ApplePS2Mouse.kext
      ApplePS2Trackpad.kext
      ATAPortInjector.kext
      AtherosFix.kext
      FakeSMC.kext
      JMicron36xATA.kext
      JMicron36xSATA.kext
      OpenHaltRestart.kext

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

PLEASE NOTE that ALL CREDIT goes (in no particular order and both historically and currently) the original developers of the included applications/kexts/bootloaders and boot files etc:

In /System/Library/Extensions/

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - David Elliott
      AD1998b.FIX.kext - THe KiNG
      AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext - MeDevil for original kext AND imk for the working 64bit version
      EvOreboot.kext - EvO Team
      FakeSMC.kext – netkas, Slice
      nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext – eno
      VoodooHDA patched for AD1988B - oldnalpalm

In boot sector, / and in /Extra/

Chameleon 2.2 svn r2266

Thanks to everyone involved in the development of Chameleon 2.2 svn r2266, making it a compatible bootloader for Mavericks......!

Chameleon Developers Team : http://forum.voodooprojects.org

zef, Turbo, dfe, netkas, mackerintel, mercurysquad, fassl, Kabyl, Crazor, Dense, kaitek, iNDi, munky, JrCs, asereBLN, rekursor, mozodojo, meklort, AnV, valv, AzimutZ, Slice, cosmo1t, cparm, Conti

With thanks to :

bumby, kalyway, Krazubu, Eddie11c, JaS, fassl, XyZ, SMF, flama, Galaxy, sckevyn, MasterChief, smith@@, blackosx, DHP, nawcom, scorpius, macman, dmazar

Chameleon 2.2 svn r2266 Package :

kalyway, AzimutZ, blackosx, ErmaC (who submitted the Chameleon 2.2 svn r2266 Installer PKG and Binaries format (Manual install) to IM Downloads), scrax, JrCs

Thanks also to MaLd0n for the MacPro3,1 SMBIOS.plist

Thanks also to oldnapalm for the Mavericks MBR patch 10.9 GM (13A603)

Apologies to anyone I have forgotten, or do not know to mention, or have yet to mention in the above credits......

Part B. Making a Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive GPT/MBR OS X Mavericks 10.9 Installer

Stage 1 - Making a Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive GPT OS X Mavericks 10.9 Installer

1. You will need:

[1] Access to a working Mac or Hack x86 OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.x or OS X Lion 10.7.x or OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.x

(I am assuming that you already have OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or OS X Lion 10.7.5 or OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 installed and running)

[2] A 8GB USB flash drive (memory stick)

[3] To be able to download OS X Mavericks (FREE RETAIL) from the Apple App Store. See Part A.

[4] To download my "verdant_Mavericks_Support_Files_v1.0.zip" folder

The “Install OS X Mavericks.app” installer app icon will show up in the Dock.

If it does, then the installer should also show up in your Applications folder.

* DO NOT click on the icon NOR right-click on the icon and select Open
      * DO NOT double-click on its icon in the Applications folder 

2. Extracting Necessary Files from Mavericks Installer App

[1] Boot into Snow Leopard or OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion and go to the Applications folder and find Install OS X Mavericks.app WITHOUT clicking on the icon NOR right-click on the icon and selecting Open

[2] Unhide all files via a Terminal command:

Terminal commands to show/hide hidden and system files:

To show hidden and system files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
      killall Finder

To hide hidden and system files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
      killall Finder

Or, you can download and run TinkerTool ......select the Finder options: 'Show hidden and system files' option and then click Relaunch Finder to unhide......and deselect the Finder options: 'Show hidden and system files' option and then click Relaunch Finder to hide......

[3] Right-click on the Install OS X Mavericks.app installer icon and select Show Package Contents.

Open the Contents folder and the SharedSupport folder within it, and look for InstallESD.dmg

[4] Open i.e. mount InstallESD.dmg and look for BaseSystem.dmg……LEAVE the Mac OS X Install ESD window open…….

3. Preparing the USB flash drive as a Mac bootable device volume

[1] Plug in the USB flash drive and then using the Snow Leopard or Lion or Mountain Lion Disk Utility, partition/format it as a single GPT/HFS+ volume named OSX_Lion_USB_Installer (or your chosen name without spaces) as follows:

In the Disk Utility sidebar, highlight your USB flash drive device icon

In the Disk Utility main window, click on the Partition tab and select to partition as 1 volume, using a name with no spaces and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)……

Then click on Options button -> select GUID Partition Table (GPT) -> click Apply

Doing this will make the USB flash drive bootable on a Mac. Note that this operation will erase everything on the drive.

4. Installing necessary /Extra/ and directory files and the Chameleon 2.2 svn r22662 bootloader onto the partitioned/formatted USB flash drive

[1] In the Disk Utility main window, click on the Restore tab to load the BaseSystem.dmg onto the OSX_Mavericks_USB_Installer volume.....doing this puts a base OS X Mavericks system on the USB flash drive volume……

Choose the BaseSystem.dmg file as the Source by 'drag and dropping' it from the Mac OS X Install ESD window into the Source Window (note that a '+ in green circle' appears momentarily)

Choose your USB flash drive volume icon as the Destination by 'drag and dropping' it from the Disk Utility sidebar into the Destination window (note that a '+ in green circle' appears momentarily).

Click the Apply button and it will create your bootable USB drive. Note that Erase destination checkbox will be ticked by default, or applied by default.

The USB flash drive device name will be automatically changed to OS X Base System in the sidebar……

[2] On the USB flash drive volume, open the System folder and double-click on the Installation folder within it…..this opens an Installation folder window….

Right-click on the Packages alias icon and select Move to Trash

Go to the open Mac OS X Install ESD window and 'drag and drop' the Packages folder in the window into the open Installation folder window……the 4.8 GB Packages folder will take about 10 or so minutes to copy over……

Now go to the open Mac OS X Install ESD window and open the Packages folder in the window, and locate the BaseSystemBinaries.pkg.

Use Pacifist (current version is Pacifist 3.2.2) to extract the mach_kernel file from the BaseSystemBinaries.pkg to the root directory, i.e. / of the OS X Base System USB flash drive volume....i.e. into the open OS X Base System Window……

[3] Note that the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume /System/Library/Extensions/ folder does not contain all the graphics kexts that the installed OS X Mavericks /System/Library/Extensions/ does. The OS X Base System volume /System/Library/Extensions/ folder is missing the following kexts, bundles and plugins: 

Thus, depending on your installed graphics card i.e. nVidia or ATI, you may need to use Pacifist to extract the relevant kexts, bundles and plugin from /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages/Essentials.pkg into the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume /System/Library/Extensions/ folder, in order for your GPU and display to function properly when booting from the Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive OS X Mavericks 10.9 Installer, i.e. not present you with a black display screen at worst, or less worse, an incorrect and fixed display resolution, on reaching the OS X Mavericks Installer window.

Since I have an Inno3D GeForce 9800GT 512MB graphics card, I had to extract the following files into my USB flash drive OS X Base System volume /System/Library/Extensions/ folder, so that booting the USB installer did not just present me with a black display screen on reaching the OS X Mavericks Installer window:

GeForce.kext
      GeForceGA.plugin
      GeForceGLDriver.bundle
      GeForceVADriver.bundle

Please be note that being able to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist for the same graphics card under different OS X versions via different Chameleon bootloader versions/revisions is not a given. 

For example, with my Inno3D GeForce 9800GT 512MB graphics card, to get full CI/QE and changeable display resolutions, the situation is as follows:

OS X Leopard 10.5.8 - GraphicsEnabler=No and NVEnabler.kext
      OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 - GraphicsEnabler=Yes and so no NVinjector kext such as NVEnabler64.kext
      OS X Lion 10.7.5 - GraphicsEnabler=No and NVEnabler64.kext
      OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 - GraphicsEnabler=No and either a <key>device-properties</key> custom hex entry in org.chameleon.Boot.plist, that I generated using OSX86 Tools, or NVEnabler 64.kext, or DSDT GFX0 section patch.
      OS X Mavericks 10.9 - GraphicsEnabler=No and a DSDT GFX0 section patch.

For help with:

1. ATI graphics cards go here 

2. nVidia graphics cards go to post #3 in this topic for single nVidia graphics card use

3. Multiple nVidia graphics card(s) and/or displays go here.

4. For help with mixed multiple ATI and/or nVidia graphics cards and /or multiple displays, Google is your friend......as are aqua-mac, netkas, and others.......  

[4] Run the Chameleon 2.2 svn r2266.pkg installer (download from link given above) and click on the Continue button in the Chameleon 2.2 svn r22662 Bootloader Installer window…….then click Continue and Continue again and Agree…..then in the Standard Install window click Change Install Location and select the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume in the Select a Destination window and click Continue……then click Install…..after a hopefully successful install, click Close....

[5] Go back to the open OS X Base System Window……the Chameleon bootloader installer should have created the /Extra/ folder……BUT you may have to create them manually afterward (as I did)……

[6] Copy across from your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or Lion, or Mountain Lion system, your MOBO's OS X DSDT.aml file into the open target HDD OS X Mavericks window, i.e. the target HDD volume's root i.e. / directory…….

[7] Copy across from your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or Lion, or Mountain Lion system, or from the verdant_Mavericks_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /Extra/ on the USB flash drive Mac OS X Base System volume, the following .plist files:

smbios.plist for MacPro3,1 (use the one from MaLd0n's Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon, DP4, GM and FINAL topic…….), or whatever MacProx,y designation matches your CPU....

org.chameleon.Boot.plist (assuming that you are using a recent/current Chameleon boot loader version later than v2.0 r11xx, or a version 2.1 or 2.2 revision)

modules folder (containing e.g. FileNVRAM.dylib)

Also copy across (if you wish) your Chameleon bootloader Themes folder from your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or Lion, or Mountain Lion system......

[8] Copy the following kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ on your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or in /System/Library/Extensions/ on your Lion system, or Mountain Lion System, or from the verdant_Mavericks_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /System/Library/Extensions on the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume...

FakeSMC.kext
      EvOreboot.kext
      NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - ONLY if you are NOT booting your USB OS X Base System Flash Drive installer with your MOBOs DSDT.aml file, that is patched for OS X Natural Power Management, in the root directory
      AppleRTC.Mavericks.Patched.kext
      AD1998b.FIX.kext or VoodooHDA.kext (for AD1998b) - ONLY if this is the audio chipset/codec of your nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO

You may also have AppleHDA.10.6.2.kext, FakeSMC.kext and nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in in /Extra/Extensions/ on your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or in /System/Library/Extensions/ on your Lion system, or Mountain Lion System....

Note the later versions/revisions of FakeSMC.kext v3.0 and later by mojodojo can function from /Extra/Extensions/ or from /System/Library/Extensions/ but be aware that earlier versions/revisions of FakeSMC.kext can only function from /System/Library/Extensions/ - hence step [9] below:

[9] If you have AppleHDA.10.6.2.kext, FakeSMC.kext and nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ on your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or Lion, or Mountain Lion system, then these need to copied from there, or from the verdant_Mavericks_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /System/Library/Extensions/ on the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume……

[10] Having added AppleHDA.10.6.2.kext, FakeSMC.kext and nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ on the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume, you need to use Terminal to reset the kexts ownership and permissions and rebuild the kernelcache file etc.....alternatively, you can use janek202's Kext Wizard for a Terminal-free life.......

In Terminal type:
      sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions sudo touch /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions followed by
      sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi [11] Close all open folders within the OS X Base System folder and in the Terminal type:
      sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System [12] Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete all the files within Startup, e.g. kernelcache

[13] Close the OS X Base System Window and boot from the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the USB OS X Base System Flash Drive and pressing Enter.

[14] At the Chameleon boot prompt, type -v -f and press Enter.

[15] If you experience the [PCI configuration begin] error on booting from the USB OS X Base System Flash Drive installer, then see post #4, which gives four proposed solutions to this error.......
        Stage 2 - Making a Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive GPT/MBR OS X Mavericks 10.9 Installer

The following procedure assumes that you have already followed "Part B. Making a Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive GPT/MBR OS X Mavericks 10.9 Installer" Stage 1 of this guide, and so now have a working bootable GPT USB Flash Drive GPT OS X Mavericks 10.9 Installer......

In order for you to install OS X Mavericks 10.9 onto your target HDD volume partitioned/formatted as MBR/HFS+, you need to use a modified OSInstall.mpkg package and OSInstall Unix executable file in place of the ones that the OS X Mavericks Installer on your bootable GPT USB Flash Drive Installer uses for installing OS X Mavericks to a target HDD volume partitioned/formatted as GPT/HFS+ ......

I have used as the starting point, the OSInstall.mpkg and OSInstall framework which have been MBR patched for OS X Mavericks by oldnapalm (based on nawcom's preceding work). 

However, I have then modified the OSInstall.mpkg in order to remove the Board-ID and RAM checks, and add some Custom Install Options too.

verdant Patched oldnapalm MBR Modified OS X Mavericks OSInstall Package.zip

Step 1. Inserting the verdant patched oldnapalm MBR modified OS X Mavericks OSInstall.mpkg package and the oldnapalm MBR modified OS X Mavericks OSInstall Unix executable file in place of the ones included in the downloaded OS X Mavericks Installer on your bootable GPT USB Flash Drive Installer.

Download and unarchive

(i) the Mavericks MBR patch 10.9 GM (13A603) ….the unarchived folder contains the MBR modified OS X Mavericks OSInstall.mpkg package and OSInstall Unix executable file, and

(ii) the verdant Patched OSInstall.mpkg Mavericks v2.zip file.....the unarchived folder contains the verdant patched oldnapalm MBR modified OS X Mavericks OSInstall.mpkg package.

The procedure for installing the verdant patched oldnapalm MBR modified OS X Mavericks  OSInstall.mpkg package and the oldnapalm MBR modified OSInstall Unix executable file on your bootable GPT USB Flash Drive Installer in place of the original OS X Mavericks Installer versions is as follows:

1. Unhide the hidden and systems files on your OS X Mountain Lion USB Flash Drive Installer, named OS X Base System, using Terminal commands or Tinker Tool (see Part C. above)

2. Go to Terminal and then:

[1] Either type:
      cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages or type
      cd and press the 'Space Bar', and then having navigated to System, then to Installation, then to Packages, 'drag and drop' the Packages folder into Terminal……

[2] Type the following:
      sudo mv OSInstall.mpkg OSInstall.mpkg.GPT ls Note that you have now renamed the original file as shown by the 'ls' command…..

[3] Either type:
      cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A or type
      cd and press the 'Space Bar', and then having navigated to System, then to Library, then to PrivateFrameworks, then to Install.framework, then to Frameworks, then to OSInstall.framework, then to Versions, and finally to the A folder, 'drag and drop' the A folder into Terminal……

[4] Type the following:
      sudo mv OSInstall OSInstall.GPT ls exit Note that you have now renamed the original file as shown by the 'ls' command…..

As a reminder if ever you wish to revert back to the original GPT installer versions......simply rename the original files by removing the .GPT extensions after having renamed the patched files with the .MBR extension, via Terminal:
      cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages sudo mv OSInstall.mpkg OSInstall.mpkg.MBR sudo mv OSInstall.mpkg.GPT OSInstall.mpkg followed by
      cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A sudo mv OSInstall OSInstall.MBR sudo mv OSInstall.GPT OSInstall exit ****************************************************

3. Then either 'drag and drop' the chosen version of OSInstall.mpkg into /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages .....(or use the 'cp' command via Terminal):
      sudo cp -p -R /Users/"User Name"/Desktop/verdant\ Patched\ oldnapalm\ MBR\ Modified\ OS\ X\ Mavericks\ OSInstall\ Package/OSInstall.mpkg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages 4. Then 'drag and drop' OSInstall into /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A......(or use the 'cp' command via Terminal):
      sudo cp -p -R /Users/"User Name"/Desktop/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A 5. Close all windows.......

6. Now follow Part C. in Post #2 to install OS X Mavericks onto your target HDD volume partitioned/formatted as either GPT/HFS+ or as MBR/HFS+ :