ICH10R (in RAID mode) Working (in SL)...Sorta

DigitalDJ

24 posts in this topic

Basically, when using your SATA controller in RAID mode, both Leopard and Snow Leopard will refuse to boot with "waiting for root device" (as the device is inaccessible).

This means you can now use Hardware RAID...well for Windows/Linux at least. I am unsure if you can use a RAID volume and install Snow Leopard to it, however, you should be able to use Snow Leopard on a single drive and still keep your Windows RAID intact. Basically it means one less BIOS change each time you want to jump into OSX and that you'll be able to access files on your Windows/Linux RAID volumes without rebooting. If you really want OSX RAID, I don't see anything stopping you from using Apple's Software RAID while your SATA controller is in RAID mode.

So, how to? This isn't the most Vanilla way, I'm sure there's a better way of doing this...but I'll come up with that later.

Simply open up /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/ and edit the Info.plist

Under the ICH10AHCI key, you can either:

a ) Replace IOPCIPrimaryMatch or

b ) Duplicate the whole key/dict and rename it ICH10RAID and then change the IOPCIPrimaryMatch

Either way, you need to add 0x28228086 to IOPCIPrimaryMatch

It will look something like (after you've made the changes):

<key>ICH10AHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>Chipset Name</key>

<string>ICH10 AHCI</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x3a228086 0x28228086</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Intel</string>

</dict>

Save it, Run Kext Utility, or whatever you use to repair permissions.

Now, on my machine Chameleon RC1 with PC_EFI 10.2 refused to boot. I kept getting boot1: error. For this to work you need to install Chameleon RC1/PC_EFI 10.2 to a USB drive then use the USB drive to boot your Snow Leopard partition. I'm unsure, but perhaps the next version of Chameleon, PC_EFI or BootThink may not have this error, lets hope! :thumbsup_anim:

When I did this, Snow Leopard booted....BUT...I kept getting Console error messages to do with AppleUSBEHCI and this seemed to disable the use of my keyboard and mouse clicks. So if anyone knows how to fix that, please post here.

Please test this. Honestly, I don't know if you create a RAID Volume that maybe OSX will not detect the RAID and simply show two drives. I haven't had time to fully test this yet. What I can confirm is that OSX boots SUCCESSFULLY in SATA-RAID mode with ICH10R.

Oh, I did this on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME.

• 1 month later...
Nice! Alternatively, you can simply add LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext in /E/E folder. This ext has plist description for device id 0x2822 which will handle ICH8R/9R/10R bios raid setting.

I will give this a go..

hoping this will get me online.. the boot1 issue is the onlything thats really stopping my hackintosh install from flying on my X58 Eclipse SLI

even with the OSX Drive Plugged in to the JMicron Ports if the ICH10R ports are set to RAID it just dont wanna fly!

Basically, when using your SATA controller in RAID mode, both Leopard and Snow Leopard will refuse to boot with "waiting for root device" (as the device is inaccessible).

This means you can now use Hardware RAID...well for Windows/Linux at least. I am unsure if you can use a RAID volume and install Snow Leopard to it, however, you should be able to use Snow Leopard on a single drive and still keep your Windows RAID intact. Basically it means one less BIOS change each time you want to jump into OSX and that you'll be able to access files on your Windows/Linux RAID volumes without rebooting. If you really want OSX RAID, I don't see anything stopping you from using Apple's Software RAID while your SATA controller is in RAID mode.

So, how to? This isn't the most Vanilla way, I'm sure there's a better way of doing this...but I'll come up with that later.

Simply open up /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/ and edit the Info.plist

b ) Duplicate the whole key/dict and rename it ICH10RAID and then change the IOPCIPrimaryMatch

<key>ICH10AHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>Chipset Name</key>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Intel</string>

</dict>

Now, on my machine Chameleon RC1 with PC_EFI 10.2 refused to boot. I kept getting boot1: error. For this to work you need to install Chameleon RC1/PC_EFI 10.2 to a USB drive then use the USB drive to boot your Snow Leopard partition. I'm unsure, but perhaps the next version of Chameleon, PC_EFI or BootThink may not have this error, lets hope! :P

When I did this, Snow Leopard booted....BUT...I kept getting Console error messages to do with AppleUSBEHCI and this seemed to disable the use of my keyboard and mouse clicks. So if anyone knows how to fix that, please post here.

Please test this. Honestly, I don't know if you create a RAID Volume that maybe OSX will not detect the RAID and simply show two drives. I haven't had time to fully test this yet. What I can confirm is that OSX boots SUCCESSFULLY in SATA-RAID mode with ICH10R.

Hi,

strange thing, i've created a raid stripe with 2 harddisks and they show up as one drive at pre booting time, in snow leopard the show up as two single drives, after reboot from osx, the raid set i've created outside of any OS is gone :):)

btw thanks for sharing this

Ive just been thinking about this matter of fact..

Since putting 10.6 on my Eclipse X58 SLI

I was booting from the begining using CHAMELEON 2.0 RC3 on a USB BOOT DRIVE

This Configuration booted my 10.6 perfectly even thou the ICH10R was set to Raid... however try to install Chameleon to the Root of the OSX install and remove the USB Booter from the Equation.. resulted only in boot1: error....

hmmm this is slightly frustrating...

did yours boot at all off the HDD ? as after i edited the PLIST i was ending up with the stuffed up USB condition also...

I researched several threads and it appears that the Chameleon bootloader is currently unable to boot in RAID mode. For several reasons, I ended up just using a USB flash drive to boot to Mac OS X. I can live with that. :(

If somebody finds a solution though, that would be great.

• 2 weeks later...
So, there's no way to have the Mac OS on the RAID0?

No. Even Linux fails to recognize the array. The problem is that this isn't really RAID. Its a bunch of drivers that ship for Windows; the processor sits there and copies the data over as you use the array in Windows. I wouldn't risk doing anything with these drives without that special windows driver.

To make a long story short, if you already use the RAID functionality of ICH10R then don't touch the affected drives from any operating system other than Windows: you will corrupt the array.

If you don't already use the ICH10R raid functionality, DON'T! Get a proper dedicated hardware RAID card that makes the array drives look as one drive for all intents and purposes. If I knew that this was a gimmick and not a hardware RAID I would have never wasted my time. It creates more problems than it solves.

For the benefit of future generations: I have the system booting from USB drive on a P5Q-E with IDE setting set to RAID in bios; putting chameleon on the system drive, which is not part of an array, after installation results in boot1: error.

I used a combination of the following:

http://www.kexts.com/view/66-p5q_deluxe_%2..._32bit%29_.html

and

http://digitaldj.net/2009/09/05/ich10r-in-...leopard-part-2/

From the second I'm not using the whole linux and grub thing, I just grabbed the kext he mentions at the end of the post.

• 3 months later...

<key>ICH10AHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>Chipset Name</key>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Intel</string>

</dict>

Now, on my machine Chameleon RC1 with PC_EFI 10.2 refused to boot. I kept getting boot1: error. For this to work you need to install Chameleon RC1/PC_EFI 10.2 to a USB drive then use the USB drive to boot your Snow Leopard partition. I'm unsure, but perhaps the next version of Chameleon, PC_EFI or BootThink may not have this error, lets hope! ;)

Hi, excuse me ...but when i repair permission using kext utility, it generates a *.mkext file in extensions directory! is it right ? what do i do with this file? Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey all. read this thread.

I havent gotten past install screens b/c I am dual booting with Vista which was installed without AHCI ENABLED.

This RAID array is not my C:\ drive though. My C:\ drive is a simple regular SATA drive.

the Raid is just a backup Raid 0 D:\ drive that has work on it. it is also shared with a Vista installation on another partition but is also a Raided backup drive.

Seeing as how it isnt an OS array will this be recognized in OSx?

my mobo has GIGABYTE RAID Controller (which i believe is JMicron) and Intel ICH9R controller.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have PC-EFI 10.6 and my computer fails to boot in RAID mode (ICH10R). My "boot" partition is on the same drive as mac os.

What I would wish to accomplish is a simple RAID-1 configuration with 2 HD formatted in NTFS. I want those disks to be writable in SL (thanks to Paragon NTFS 8.0) and W7.

Is it possible? Has someone tried this?

Thanks for the info.

EDIT: I don't want to use (if possible) an external usb key to boot chameleon...

• 1 month later...

I have OS X working on my Hackintosh after installing SL using digital dreamer's guide. Used the PC EFI method. Have successfully updated to 10.6.3. Onboard audio still does not work, but haven't tried the ALC 889a kext install yet. I did install a 2nd HD, a WD 2 TB Caviar Green. My boot drive is a WD 1 TB Caviar black, call it "Hackintosh". Wanted to use the 2 TB for backups using Time Machine. So I plugged it in. The drive was recognized. I formatted it as Mac OS Journaled. Called it "Backup". Set it as the destination drive for Time Machine, and it worked fine, got a Time Machine backup. So I shut down and rebooted. Boot stopped at "Verifying DMI Pool". so I went into the BIOS and set the boot order for the Hard Drives: 1. Hackintosh 2. Backup ..Now when I have both drives plugged in, it boots to the Chameleon Bootloader. The only drive I see on the screen is Backup. The progress bar finishes and disappears but Snow Leopard does not come up. It stops at the Chameleon screen. If I hit any key the prompt says "cannot find mach kernel". How do I force the bootloader to use my Hackintosh drive to boot from and not the Backup? I tried hitting F10 but that did nothing. If I take the new drive out of the bay it boots from the Hackintosh drive fine.

Gigabyte EX58 UD5

GTX 220

Core i7 975

• 5 months later...

Hey all,

I want to get a dual boot situation in order, I am looking at assigning the ICH10R chipset to my Windows data and let something like a Caldigit 8bay SAS handle my Mac business. It's a pain to have to own double the HDD media but I DON'T think handling my data with Paragon on a hardware RAID shared between two OSs is a road I'm ready to travel. Windows has to be in the equation.

Has anyone had any success with any RAID hardware? Anyone found one that has drivers for both OSx and Win7 that they are a fan of?

I'd probably use MacDrive to copy data to the ICH10r from the HFS+ volumes so it's managed by the Intel drivers.

Cheers,

jvamos

• 1 month later...

Well, the latest linux distro's (Fedora 14, Ubuntu 10.10, GParted 0.7.1) do support the ICH10 raid array using dmraid.

So both linux (grub2) and windows will be able to dual boot from it.

So if I understand correctly SL will be able to see the array (instead of separate disks) using it's LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext.

But the only thing missing is support from it's bootloader chameleon2/pc-efi right?

If we install the bootloader onto a non-raid partition it'll work fine.

Any alternative bootloader or chameleon patch that will fix this?

MastaG no the bootloader can see the raid fine and even boot windows or linux on the raid...

Osx do not have any fake hardware raid drivers for intel as apple only use real hardware raid cards.

And the reson that you can see a drive connected while having other in raid on the ICH10r controller is because single drives will use AHCI and not raid...

But if SL is able to see the ICH10 raid-array using the modified AppleAHCIPort.kext.

Then couldn't we put this kext allong with AHCIPortInjector.kext and ATAPortInjector.kext onto the chameleon bootloader partition (first 250MB partition on the raid-array formatted as HFS) in /Extra/Extensions?

So basically Chameleon2 would load the modified kext and the portinjectors, so when the kernel loads, it'll be able to mount the rootfs from the raid-array.

• 2 months later...

I am having some success with running the chameleon bootloader on ICH10R running in RAID without having to use a USB drive to boot. I'm using AHCI and ATA port injector kexts in the bootloader obviously there is no compatibility in access to the raided drives in Mac but at least I can have the bootloader on the SL drive (10.6.6 - Retail) and have the BIOS boot from that drive.

Thanks,

--

Shauneh.

• 4 weeks later...
I am having some success with running the chameleon bootloader on ICH10R running in RAID without having to use a USB drive to boot. I'm using AHCI and ATA port injector kexts in the bootloader obviously there is no compatibility in access to the raided drives in Mac but at least I can have the bootloader on the SL drive (10.6.6 - Retail) and have the BIOS boot from that drive.

Thanks,

--

Shauneh.

Hi sorry i know the thread is a bit old but i really need help with this.

I am sseing you all able to fool the OS X to boot the Mac SL with the Raid mode on under BIOS, which in this case everybody is using intel based mobo having ICH10R chipset. Mine is AMD mobo with SB750 on it, any chance for the similar feat to be done on my system?? My wish is imple is to let the Mac SL boot under raid mode in BIOS without interfering with my other 2 drives in raid 0 (with Windows 7 installed on them)

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem of "straccio", I set up my two ssd in raid0 but when it starts to install Snow Leopard, Disk Utility recognizes the two ssd as individuals and not in raid ...

To start the installation of S.O. I used Chameleon 2 RC5 750 installed on a USB stick.

P.S. I read somewhere that to use the raid must use a compatible version of Chameleon... the one I used is compatible? if not, this could be the problem and at this point I should use the version that has also been support for P-and C-State??

Thanks