SPSS 16 not working with Snow Leopard- what can I do?

JS200685

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just upgraded my leopard to snow leopard (macbook pro) and have discovered that spss 16 now no longer opens files, the output now reads something about character encoding (windows 1252) incompatible with current LOCALE setting. Otherwise, it appears that the program works, i.e. I can type in a new dataset and analyse it (so far).

Spss is absolutely crucial to my life - what can I do? Is it possible to emulate 'Leopard' (which it worked on), or is there some upgrade patch I haven't found, or some solution anyone knows of? I've noticed spss has spss18 ready for preorder that is compatible with snow leopard, but I don't think I can wait that long!

If I need to, I'll need to uninstall snow leopard (which I'm not even sure I can do given I didn't do any backups before installling)

Help? :-)

Thanks

Hi,

I had this problem, but with SPSS 17 not loading at all since I installed Snow Leopard. I've just got it to work by partitioning the hard-drive, installing OS X (Leopard) on to the new partition (about 15 gig size for the partition), and reinstalling SPSS onto this partition. Seems to be working fine. Not sure if anyone else has done this and had any problems?

Probably wise to backup all your files etc before doing it in case it goes wrong!

Hope this helps,

Nick.

Go to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions. There you should find three symlink folders named "1.5", "1.5.0" and "CurrentJDK". In Snow Leopard, they all link to another folder "1.6.0" where the Java 1.6 resides. In Leopard (on a 32-bit machine), "1.5" is a symlink to a "1.5.0" folder that contains Java 1.5 and "CurrentJDK" also links to "1.5.0".

To make SPSS 16.0 work in Snow Leopard, first you need to replace these three folders with the Leopard versions. If you have a TimeMachine backup its easy - just restore them. Otherwise you may need to find Leopard Java 1.5.0 somewhere else and use the command line in Terminal a bit to accomplish the same thing. See http://juggernaut.haet.ru/index.php/2009/0...n-snow-leopard/

Once you've done this you will have both 1.5 and 1.6 installed and can use the Java Preferences application in /Applications/Utilities to switch to Java 1.5 (JRE 5.0) by dragging it to the top of the Java Applications list.

On my 32-bit iMac Core Duo, the above TimeMachine / Java Preferences procedure made SPSS 16.0 work normally again.

Regards

Thanks so much to you both, I got dbmacdon's solution to work

I'm a new mac user, so just let me quickly go over exactly what I did (as everything wants you to use complicated scripts etc and I also had never backed up my laptop) so that other amateurs can figure this out

First I downloaded the java1.5.0 from this site- http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/isdal/s...-leopard.tar.gz

That's a direct download link btw.

I then double clicked on it to unpack it, found the 'Java 5.0' folder it had unpacked in my downloads folder, and brought it over to my desktop

I then went to (in finder) Devices-System-Library-Frameworks-JavaVM.framework-versions

I dragged the newly downloaded Java1.5.0 into the versions folder, at which point it asked me to 'authenticate' and then 'replace the older version of this file'.

I then found 'java preferences' (went back to spotlight and types 'java preferences' in, and on the bottom of the two list of Java versions (of which you should now have java1.6 32bit, java1.6 64bit, jave15.5 32bit, java1.5 32bit), the list entailing what your computer should use with programmes, I dragged 'java1.5 32bit' onto the top of the list

SPSS now works!

Hope that helps,

Thanks so much dbmacdon - and thanks to Nick as well- that would have been my next step if this hadn't worked

Another thank you to dbmacdon - I got SPSS running (mostly) with that fix. However, changing back the "CurrentJDK" file prevented SPSS from even launching on my MacBook Pro, and prevented Safari from running, too. So with "1.5" and "1.5.0" reverted back to Leopard files, my SPSS now runs,

Except! It can no longer open Excel files as it could before. It reports "Error in accessing the Excel file. If the file is open in another application, pleas close it and retry." Of course the files are not open elsewhere.

All I can do now is open the files on a non Snow Leopard machine, save them as SPSS data files, and then port them back to the Snow Leopard Mac, and SPSS can open and use them. Obviously not a sustainable solution, though.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Hi all,

I just tried what was posted [below] to get SPSS 17.0 to run on Snow Leopard -- didn't work. Any other suggestions? I'm no computer expert, so any help needs to be dumbed down a bit! Thank you!!

I'm a new mac user, so just let me quickly go over exactly what I did (as everything wants you to use complicated scripts etc and I also had never backed up my laptop) so that other amateurs can figure this out

First I downloaded the java1.5.0 from this site- http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/isdal/s...-leopard.tar.gz

I then double clicked on it to unpack it, found the 'Java 5.0' folder it had unpacked in my downloads folder, and brought it over to my desktop

I then went to (in finder) Devices-System-Library-Frameworks-JavaVM.framework-versions

I dragged the newly downloaded Java1.5.0 into the versions folder, at which point it asked me to 'authenticate' and then 'replace the older version of this file'.

I then found 'java preferences' (went back to spotlight and types 'java preferences' in, and on the bottom of the two list of Java versions (of which you should now have java1.6 32bit, java1.6 64bit, jave15.5 32bit, java1.5 32bit), the list entailing what your computer should use with programmes, I dragged 'java1.5 32bit' onto the top of the list

SPSS now works!

Hope that helps,

Thanks so much dbmacdon - and thanks to Nick as well- that would have been my next step if this hadn't worked

• 2 weeks later...

;) Thankyou both. JS200685 ... your detailed instructions worked brilliantly ... Thankyou thankyou thankyou!

SPSS now works!

Hope that helps,

Hi JS200685,

The link website you posted to download java 1.5.0 doesn't seem to work anymore. Any idea where else i can go to download it? Thanks!!!

SPSS now works!

Hope that helps,

Continued problems w/ SPSS 17.0.0

Go to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions. There you should find three symlink folders named "1.5", "1.5.0" and "CurrentJDK". In Snow Leopard, they all link to another folder "1.6.0" where the Java 1.6 resides. In Leopard (on a 32-bit machine), "1.5" is a symlink to a "1.5.0" folder that contains Java 1.5 and "CurrentJDK" also links to "1.5.0".

To make SPSS 16.0 work in Snow Leopard, first you need to replace these three folders with the Leopard versions. If you have a TimeMachine backup its easy - just restore them. Otherwise you may need to find Leopard Java 1.5.0 somewhere else and use the command line in Terminal a bit to accomplish the same thing. See http://juggernaut.haet.ru/index.php/2009/0...n-snow-leopard/

Once you've done this you will have both 1.5 and 1.6 installed and can use the Java Preferences application in /Applications/Utilities to switch to Java 1.5 (JRE 5.0) by dragging it to the top of the Java Applications list.

On my 32-bit iMac Core Duo, the above TimeMachine / Java Preferences procedure made SPSS 16.0 work normally again.

Regards

Continued problems w/ SPSS 17.0.0

"I have tried without success to use this guidance. I'm using the SPSS GradPack -- does that account for the failure?

When I go to Java Preferences, I never see the Java 1.5 and 1.6 options. Instead, I see:

J2SE 5.0 32-bit

Java SE 6 64-bit

Java SE 6 32-bit

J2SE 5.0 64-bit

(This is after I moved the J2SE 5.0 to the top of the list.) SPSS still won't work, even after using the Command Terminal script provided. When I run Java Tester, it shows Java 1.6.0_15 from Apple Inc. as the running version.

Has anyone else seen this and been able to correct it? I'm NOT a highly skilled computer user and am new to this forum, but I've followed these directions carefully.

Thanks!"]

After much frustration, I got SPSS 17.0.0 to run under 10.6 (have not tested it thoroughly)

Following steps as outlined above I copied Java 5 from a OS 10.5 machine and symlinked it in. Set java prefs to use java 5. These steps allowed the installer and license manager to run.

Also, poked around in the package and found a likely problem in the file:

/Applications/SPSSInc/Statistics17/SPSSStatistics17.0.app/Contents/bin/jvmcfg.ini

I opened this up in a text editor and changed the line:

jvm_lib_path1=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Libraries/

to

jvm_lib_path1=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Libraries/

Since CurrentJDK was symlinked to 1.6. Aggravatingly, the program would still not run - I got the unhappy dialog:

"You can't use this version of the application SPSSStatistics17.0 with this version of Mac OS X"

post-498635-1254101299_thumb.png

Based on this apple article and where SPSS was listed: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258

I concluded that somehow Apple had blacklisted SPSS 17.0 (or SPSS had asked them to). In particular I noted in the article that SPSS 17.0.2 is referenced, as if Apple had allowed for a later version to be compatible.

I searched all around the system files, but could not find where the string matching to the version is happening.

So, I opened up the package again and opened info.plist in a text editor in the hope that by tweaking the version being reported by the package, OS 10.6 would be fooled. That file is found at /Applications/SPSSInc/Statistics17/SPSSStatistics17.0.app/Contents/Info.plist

I had success by changing

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.spss.SPSSStatistics.17.0</string>

to

<string>com.spss.SPSSStatistics.17.1</string>

note that the only change is 17.0 to 17.1

After this, SPSS runs.

------

update:

After futher use of grep, I found this file:

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist

which contains the following:

<key>MinimumVersionRequirements</key>
	<dict>

<key>com.spss.SPSSStatistics.17.0</key>
			<string>17.1</string>

So, using "sudo nano" to edit this file from the terminal I changed the 17.1 to 17.0.

Then as a test I reverted by change to info.plist above, and with this change to Exceptions.plist, SPSS still runs. Of course, editing system files is also a good way to cause serious damage to your system, so the recipe above may be safer.

• 1 month later...
hey everyone!

the programm works with the workaround fine but is there the possibility to get the chart builder working?

thanx!

Hey alhan, hey everyone!

Thank you so much for this workaround! Still, Alhan has a point, if you fix SPSS this way, you cannot use the chart builder. Since I need the chart builder badly I have dug up a workaround for this, provided here:

Apple Support Forums

In short:

The specific file to patch is:

/Applications/SPSSInc/SPSS16/SPSS16.0.app/Contents/bin/jvmcfg.ini

Change line:

jvm_lib_path1=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Libraries/

to whatever your JRE 1.5.0 folder is, for instance:

jvm_lib_path1=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Libraries/

Hope this makes the whole process even clearer. Credit goes to awkmon.

Hope it works for everyone else just as perfect as it does for me!

Regards,

m

Regards

Thanks DBMACDON. I used my Time Machine Backup to restore the 3 folders and followed the rest of your procedure. It worked as you said.

:( Thanks to all for the help. Being a novice and all, I am extremely grateful....instructions were easy to follow.Up and running again with SPSS 16. Hope that I havent caused any other programs to malfunction.

SPSS now works!

Hope that helps,

:D Thanks to all for the help. Being a novice and all, I am extremely grateful....instructions were easy to follow.Up and running again with SPSS 16. Hope that I havent caused any other programs to malfunction.

• 4 weeks later...

still not ending problems with spss 16 and mac os 10.6.2

my spss 16 worked totally fine with the workaround mentioned in this thread (thanks!) until today.

i think the reason is the new java update os 10.5 update 6 I just launched....

the terminal shows me this error, when I want to start SPSS

Java Virtual Machine wird gesucht...

..................................No Java Runtime Environment (JRE) was found on this system.

What can I do?

Is there any way, I can restore the old java version?

Or is there maybe another reason...

never ending problems.

I would be very thankful for any solutions or tipps.

greetings from berlin,

ankar

• 3 weeks later...

This post is life saving for me, thank you very much!

just curious

How did you search all over the disk with one phrase (that must take hours)? you mentioned grep but what was the exact command you used?

After much frustration, I got SPSS 17.0.0 to run under 10.6 (have not tested it thoroughly)

Following steps as outlined above I copied Java 5 from a OS 10.5 machine and symlinked it in. Set java prefs to use java 5. These steps allowed the installer and license manager to run.

I did workaround after the update

and spss work fine for me

so I suggest you redo the whole workaround (inlcuding copy the 1.50 files and relink the folders and set the java preference) and see

still not ending problems with spss 16 and mac os 10.6.2

my spss 16 worked totally fine with the workaround mentioned in this thread (thanks!) until today.

i think the reason is the new java update os 10.5 update 6 I just launched....

the terminal shows me this error, when I want to start SPSS

Java Virtual Machine wird gesucht...

..................................No Java Runtime Environment (JRE) was found on this system.

What can I do?

Is there any way, I can restore the old java version?

Or is there maybe another reason...

never ending problems.

I would be very thankful for any solutions or tipps.

greetings from berlin,

ankar

Hi Everyone,

Your information about Java has been extremely helpful but I have been unable to get the chart builder to work. I am using SPSS (PASW) 17 which I think may make part of the difference (the file in the instructions does not exist). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Hey alhan, hey everyone!

Thank you so much for this workaround! Still, Alhan has a point, if you fix SPSS this way, you cannot use the chart builder. Since I need the chart builder badly I have dug up a workaround for this, provided here:

Apple Support Forums

In short:

Hope it works for everyone else just as perfect as it does for me!

Regards,

m

• 1 month later...

I have SPSS 17 and it has been working fine following the instructions from this forum for the last 3 months.

However, suddenly, it no longer works. It opens but it doesn't open my files and the output reads:

Error # 2072

There was an unanticipated problem with the license for this produce.

This command not executed.

Specific symptom number: 4

any suggestions.. please help

Also, poked around in the package and found a likely problem in the file:

/Applications/SPSSInc/Statistics17/SPSSStatistics17.0.app/Contents/bin/jvmcfg.ini

I opened this up in a text editor and changed the line:

to

jvm_lib_path1=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Libraries/

Since CurrentJDK was symlinked to 1.6. Aggravatingly, the program would still not run - I got the unhappy dialog:

"You can't use this version of the application SPSSStatistics17.0 with this version of Mac OS X"

post-498635-1254101299_thumb.png

Based on this apple article and where SPSS was listed: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258

I concluded that somehow Apple had blacklisted SPSS 17.0 (or SPSS had asked them to). In particular I noted in the article that SPSS 17.0.2 is referenced, as if Apple had allowed for a later version to be compatible.

I searched all around the system files, but could not find where the string matching to the version is happening.

So, I opened up the package again and opened info.plist in a text editor in the hope that by tweaking the version being reported by the package, OS 10.6 would be fooled. That file is found at /Applications/SPSSInc/Statistics17/SPSSStatistics17.0.app/Contents/Info.plist

I had success by changing

<string>com.spss.SPSSStatistics.17.0</string>

to

<string>com.spss.SPSSStatistics.17.1</string>

note that the only change is 17.0 to 17.1

After this, SPSS runs.

------

update:

After futher use of grep, I found this file:

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist

which contains the following:

<key>MinimumVersionRequirements</key>
	 <dict>

<key>com.spss.SPSSStatistics.17.0</key>
			 <string>17.1</string>

So, using "sudo nano" to edit this file from the terminal I changed the 17.1 to 17.0.

Then as a test I reverted by change to info.plist above, and with this change to Exceptions.plist, SPSS still runs. Of course, editing system files is also a good way to cause serious damage to your system, so the recipe above may be safer.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've followed the procedure to change the Java 6 to Java 5.0 and this has allowed me to run the installation software of SPSS 16.0. However, when it comes time to enter my license, SPSS sees it as expired (which is not the case).

The error message that I get is the following:

License information for SPSS 16.0 for Mac installed in /Applications/SPSSInc/SPSS16/SPSS16.0.app/Contents/bin

Feature 0 - SPSS 16.0 for Windows:

Unable to acquire a license token due to error 3...

There is a license, but it has expired. Even the grace period has expired.

Specific symptom: 313

Local license for version 16.0

Expiration: none

Any help on what to do next would be much appreciated!!

• 2 months later...
Hi,

Just upgraded my leopard to snow leopard (macbook pro) and have discovered that spss 16 now no longer opens files, the output now reads something about character encoding (windows 1252) incompatible with current LOCALE setting. Otherwise, it appears that the program works, i.e. I can type in a new dataset and analyse it (so far).

Spss is absolutely crucial to my life - what can I do? Is it possible to emulate 'Leopard' (which it worked on), or is there some upgrade patch I haven't found, or some solution anyone knows of? I've noticed spss has spss18 ready for preorder that is compatible with snow leopard, but I don't think I can wait that long!

If I need to, I'll need to uninstall snow leopard (which I'm not even sure I can do given I didn't do any backups before installling)

Help? :-)

Thanks

------------------

How to run SPSS on Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6

http://bit.ly/gXDUOK

SPSS 17 works perfect on Leopard 10.5

On Snow Leopard, there are two ways to run SPSS 17.

Way 1

This is how I have installed it on my mac. You can check the versions 10.6.5 and 17.0.3 are working onand onand on http://bayimg.com/KAbgIAADI. On my mac -at least- SPSS 17.0.3 works flawlessly.

1) Make a partition of your hard disk and install Leopard 10.5.8 on it.

2) On Leopard, disable Internet access of your computer.

3) Install SPSS 17. You can activate the modules in any moment.

4) Install SPSS patch 17.0.1

5) Install SPSS patch 17.0.2

6) Install SPSS patch 17.0.3

7) Check SPSS is working properly.

8) Enable the Internet access.

9) Boot on Snow Leopard (I think it should also work on Lion).

10) Right clic any .sav file. Select "open with" and "other", select "All applications" (or whatever, my mac OS language is set in Spanish, sorry); select the SPSS app that is installed on Leopard "PASWStatistics17.0" and clic on the "Open" button.

That's all.

Way 2:

One of my classmates has tested this one. It also works fine on his computer.

1) Install Leopard 10.5.8 on your hard disk drive.

2) Disable Internet access of your computer.

3) Install SPSS 17. You can activate the modules in any moment.

4) Install SPSS patch 17.0.1

5) Install SPSS patch 17.0.2

6) Install SPSS patch 17.0.3

7) Check SPSS is working properly.

8) Enable the Internet access.

9) Upgrade from Leopard 10.5 to Snow Leopard 10.6 on the hard disk that also has SPSS 17.0.3 Important: just upgrade the OS, do not format the hard disk drive. Now your mac computer will have the Java versions 5 and 6, and will be able to open SPSS 17.0.3

10) Check SPSS is working properly.

That's all.