GA-G41M-ES2L vs GA-EP45-UD3P

21 posts in this topic

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=12366326

This is my list of items I am purchasing this week and want to know is the GA-G41M-ES2L matx mobo a good choice...or would it be smarter to chuck my matx case and go with a mid tower case and a standard atx mobo such as the GA-EP45-UD3P instead? ;)

Thanks everyone, any other suggestions I am open to as well.

i just bought the ga-g41m-es2l board and osx86 installed perfectly . Everything is working (sound,lan,video(9600gt)) without any hack

installed using ipc 10.5.6

kext's used:

azillia (for audio)

realtek r1000 (for internet)

the chipset kext i don't remember right now but it is the first one

efi string for my 9600 gt

did not select any kernel(left it vanilla) cpu:q9550 ; if you have any core 2 series leave it vanilla too.

updated from software update throu osx and everything went well.

now i am 10.5.8.

____ restart and shutdown sometimes doesn't work____

The EP45-UD3P works great. Following weaksauce's guide for Mac OS 10.5, everything seems like a real mac, but auto-sleep. And don't expect to use both of GBit Ethernet outputs: you'll have to disable the one on top.

But I'm not sure it's worth the price anymore. P55 motherboards are coming next week. I know it could take a while before we hackintoshers are able to use them, but people on a budget should consider waiting in order to make a better investment.

sumobritches, you didn't tell me you were in a hurry. If I were you, I'd buy better memory, maybe 800MHz CL4 (G.Skill PK), or 1066MHz if you wish to OC. And if you need fans for moving air and not LEDs, buy Scythe Slipstream at 800 or 1200RPM. It's 9$ each but well worth the premium.

And since you need FW, EP45 is probably a better choice, over G41 and a FW card for 30 more bucks, especially if you wanna overclock your Q9550.

TomCom - Can you suggest a solid P55 board that is coming out next week? I am assuming you mean the Gigabyte board? Also would you suggest using the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz) processor for this board? Was not sure on the socket type. If not, then what kind of processor would you match up with it? Possible to do an i7? Thanks for your advice, looking to build a Hackintosh here in the next few weeks.

TomCom - Can you suggest a solid P55 board that is coming out next week? I am assuming you mean the Gigabyte board? Also would you suggest using the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz) processor for this board? Was not sure on the socket type. If not, then what kind of processor would you match up with it? Possible to do an i7? Thanks for your advice, looking to build a Hackintosh here in the next few weeks.

I'm not a fortune teller: I can't predict which will work best. :D

And no, you can't use a Core 2 Quad on these boards, IT DOES NOT USE THE SAME SOCKET: Core 2s are LGA 775, "Nehalem/Bloomfield" Core i7s (from X58 chipset) are LGA1366, and these Lynnfield CPUs (P55) LGA 1156.

So starting from next week, Core i7s will be sold for two different sockets. LGA 1366 Core i7 won't fit on a P55 motherboard, and vice-versa.

I'm not a fortune teller: I can't predict which will work best. :D

And no, you can't use a Core 2 Quad on these boards, IT DOES NOT USE THE SAME SOCKET: Core 2s are LGA 775, "Nehalem/Bloomfield" Core i7s (from X58 chipset) are LGA1366, and these Lynnfield CPUs (P55) LGA 1156.

So starting from next week, Core i7s will be sold for two different sockets. LGA 1366 Core i7 won't fit on a P55 motherboard, and vice-versa.

Ok got ya. I am thinking the new i7 820 processor would go very nice with the new P55 Gigabyte board. Am I wrong on this?

• 3 weeks later...
i just bought the ga-g41m-es2l board and osx86 installed perfectly . Everything is working (sound,lan,video(9600gt)) without any hack

installed using ipc 10.5.6

kext's used:

azillia (for audio)

realtek r1000 (for internet)

the chipset kext i don't remember right now but it is the first one

efi string for my 9600 gt

did not select any kernel(left it vanilla) cpu:q9550 ; if you have any core 2 series leave it vanilla too.

updated from software update throu osx and everything went well.

now i am 10.5.8.

____ restart and shutdown sometimes doesn't work____

Hi

I have the same board and I installed SL using this method (http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required).

Everything seems to work (haven't tried TM yet) except for audio. What was the azalia kext you used and would you be able to point me to where I can get it?

Thanks

sandman0823

Hi

I have the same board and I installed SL using this method (http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required).

Everything seems to work (haven't tried TM yet) except for audio. What was the azalia kext you used and would you be able to point me to where I can get it?

Thanks

sandman0823

I just did a SL install on a UD3P board using the same guide. At first, audio wasn't working for me either (and yes, of course I tried the sound control panel/output) so I just said to myself, "Eh, I'll figure it out later. For now, I'll update to 10.6.1 using system update."

After the update... voila... audio worked. Go figure.

So give the 10.6.1 update a shot, hopefully the same will work for you.

I just did a SL install on a UD3P board using the same guide. At first, audio wasn't working for me either (and yes, of course I tried the sound control panel/output) so I just said to myself, "Eh, I'll figure it out later. For now, I'll update to 10.6.1 using system update."

Thanks I did try the 10.6.1 (and it amazingly worked! This hackintosh is definitely the easiest one I have done by far) but still no audio and yes I tried changing the output etc. and also repaired permissions. The funny thing is audio device is recognized by the System Profiler, just no device for output in the sound control panel!

Thanks I did try the 10.6.1 (and it amazingly worked! This hackintosh is definitely the easiest one I have done by far) but still no audio and yes I tried changing the output etc. and also repaired permissions. The funny thing is audio device is recognized by the System Profiler, just no device for output in the sound control panel!

Everything works fine except on my install except audio, I have tried different kexts and reinstallation same results no sound. The crazy thing is that it was working before it went to sleep. Anyone have a fix yet, plz.

Hi

Thanks

sandman0823

When you say you have the same board, are you referring to the GA-G41M-ES2L? That's what I have, and neither my on-board ethernet nor audio are working. Did you have to do anything special to get ethernet working?

As for audio, like you, System Profiler sees the device, but System Preferences doesn't recognize it as an audio input or output device.

I've tried various downloaded kexts for both devices, but I think they were all for 10.5.x because they didn't work. I also tried AppleHDA Patcher and a couple other things, but didn't have any luck there either. This is my first hackintosh, so it's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong.

I care more about working ethernet than audio. Any suggestions there? Thanks.

I guess I should try this method too. I've been failing so far installing Snow Leopard with d00m42 and Unixman84 guides, but this might be due to my hard drive. I need a (cheap) bootable 8 GB USB stick. Any ideas?

Same thing happened when I installed Snow Leopard on my brother's Hackintosh with a UD3P board. I tried reinstalling after having no luck the first time around and I had the audio working before I updated to 10.6.1, but now it's not working again. I don't wanna reinstall again, so hopefully somebody figures out a way to make it work with 10.6.1.

I also used the guide on Lifehacker.

EDIT: I just reinstalled and had the audio working, but it stopped working when I applied the EP45UD3P Snow Leopard package. This was before I updated to 10.6.1.

Has anyone gotten the sound and nic on the G41M board working in Snow Leopard?? If so how in the hell did you do it. Can you enlighten us.

Thanks!

Yes, I have high quality sound coming out the front via Headphones, and the back via LineOut.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1280843

NIC was working fine from the get go.

Two easily ingnored requirements:

Do a fresh install to avoid conflict kexts.

You *have* to use DSDT to get onboard audio working.

The only thing I don't have working on my G41M-ES2L 10.6.1 64 bit is Sleep.

Looking for clues on that tonight ....

So nobody's gotten sound working on the UD3P with Snow Leopard? I'm thinking I might just have to figure out a way to do a fresh install and somehow make it so the old kexts don't come back when I restore. That would probably work.

NIC was working fine from the get go.

Two easily ingnored requirements:

Do a fresh install to avoid conflict kexts.

You *have* to use DSDT to get onboard audio working.

The only thing I don't have working on my G41M-ES2L 10.6.1 64 bit is Sleep.

Looking for clues on that tonight ....

Well, I might have done something wrong, but I got gigabit LAN by just using the pystar, realtekR1000 kext after a fresh install and I got 5 channel audio after applying the vodoohda kext. My profile even shows the correct audio chipset in system profile. I've even been using the onboard video on the GA-G41M-ES2L while I wait for my GPU to arrive and it's not bad. Sleep does not work of course, but I never sleep my desktops. I just need to get a good firewire and production-class, audio card working and I may just have my new production machine. Best $300 I've spent in a long while.

thanks to all here,

mark

• 2 months later...

Well,it is hard to beat the main advantage of these G31/41M mo bos and it is of course their price.

On the other hand the first thing I do not like is that on board graphic chip that I will never use!, the second thing are only 2 slots for Ram memory (slower ones / up to 800mhz) + I doubt that they are good for OC (moderate).

The GA-EP45-UD3P is to expensive, would you recommend another full atx mother board ( I do not need fireware and other "fancy " staff), I was thinking of GA-EP45-DS3L or similar. Would you recommend it in that price range? I'm building a home workstation (no gaming), the rest of the components would probably be E6300, 2x2 gb ram @1066, nv 9400/9500GT silent...

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

its been fun to get this G41M-ES2L Rev 1.0 working right but got it.. i think. btw i have ALC888b (aka alc887 in DSDT) Nvidia 8300GS with Osx86tool EFI string 128MB

ok heres the goodies: 10.5.6 Retail with an inspiron 530 iso

In EFI/Extra with chameleon 2RC2 (upgraded to RC4):

mackbookpro5, 1 smbios.plist and G41mES2LRev1_dsdt.aml.zip < no CPU speedstepping code so it should be safe.

In EFI/Extra/Extensions:

fakesmc2.5 - LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext to work with DSDT HDEF mod - AppleDecrypt.kext - Openhaltrestart

in chameleon2RC2 settings for kexts i unchecked Jmicron and Disabler

checked in options Ethernet Built in , ForceWake , GraphicsEnabler ( to fix graphicsenabler option upgrade to AsereBLN booter which is a fixup of chameleon2 so replace the file "Boot" in EFI/boot or your OSX/boot partition)

com.apple.boot.plist contents in chameleon EFI/Extra

<dict>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Yes i know i have graphicsenabler on and efi string. (may the best one win <_< j/k testing to see which runs better then one of them will be removed)[\s]

grapgicsenabler works nice now with aserebln boot