ASUS Rampage II Extreme X58 with Leopard 10.6

csharpmac

22 posts in this topic

Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on Asus Rampage II Extreme X58

In order to have a successful installation of Snow Leopard on the Rampage II Extreme,

you would need to have the proper dsdt.aml file and /Extra directory.

STEPS

================================================================

1. Partition a blank SATA HD with the GUID partition scheme and create a volume.

2. Turn on hidden files and folders, and open your Leopard DVD/DMG and navigate to "/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg". Run this package

3. Don't restart after you install, instead install the PC EFI 10.1/Chameleon 2.0 RC1 package to the drive you installed SL to.

4. copy the dsdt.aml file and then copy the /Extra directory

5. At this point you can reboot , and when you get to the Chameleon screen boot with the flags -v -x32

Rather than be wholly redundant, since we already have a R2E thread for SL I'll post what I know here.

----

SATA:

AHCI support is currently... weird. When in AHCI mode, for some reason the ICH10 SATA ports other than the one the boot drive is on get extremely poor performance, unless the boot drive is under moderate-to-heavy activity. There may be an AHCI link power management issue. In any case, there is no known solution to fix this problem in AHCI mode.

You'll need to switch to install Netkas's Snow Leopard ICH IDE driver, and then switch your SATA controller to IDE "Compatible" mode. Under IDE mode these performance problems do not occur.

LAN:

There's no way that I know of that you can simply inject the device strings you need. I may be wrong about this, but this is assuming it's not possible. As such you'll need to modify the AppleYukon2.kext plugin in IONetworkingFamily.kext to add the device ID for the LAN controllers.

To do so, M J has provided instructions.

For LAN open the terminal and type the following:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

find and change <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> to <key>Yukon-88E8056</key> (change 53 to 56)

find and change <string>0x436211AB</string> to <string>0x436411AB</string></key> (change 62 to 64)

find and change <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> to <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA</string> (change 53 to 56)

Press Ctrl+O (that's the letter "o") and [ENTER] to save the file, then press Ctrl+X to close nano.

Do note that any updates to AppleYukon2 in future SL updates will break this, and you'll need to do it again. Sorry.

Audio:

I'm going to assume that you have not patched your DSDT file beyond the bare minimum: the RTC and HPET fixes done automatically by the DSDT patcher and have manually removed the Alias entries. If you have properly edited your DSDT for audio, you can skip the bit about HDAEnabler.

For audio, we have a fully working injection solution. Thanks to The King, we have a kext that injects the necessary strings in to AppleHDA.

It is designed with front panel support(mic as internal and headphones) 3 line out(first as speaker) digital in/out and back mic(as line in, I will explain later why 3 analog inputs dosen't work with hda)

You'll need to drop the attached AD2000B.kext along with HDAEnabler.kext in to S/L/E/. The version of HDAEnabler included is the new 32bit/64bit version, so it's compatible with both boot modes. As this is an injection solution, it should survive all future OS updates unless Apple significantly overhauls AppleHDA.

Snow_Leopard_AD2000b.zip

Other notes:

When making changes to E/E/ or S/L/E/, please make sure to run Kext Utility when you're done to rebuild the kext cache, otherwise Bad Things may happen. If you're adding extensions to S/L/E/, I would also recommend using Kext Helper b7 to install them correctly.

Thanks

Actually I have also noticed that Chameleon RC2 on Snow Leopard does not load properly the Extensions.mkext files for all the following 3 (three) directories:

1. /Extra/Extensions.mkext

2. /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

3. /Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

I had to manually create the above Extensions.mkext files

Also the beta boot files EFI V10.0 , V10.1 and 10.2 each produce different bugs on Chameleon RC2 and RC1.

Finally the DSDT.aml file does not get recognized properly on Snow Leopard 10.6 producing KP

(The file DSDT.aml is recognized properly only on 10.5.8 but not on Snow Leopard 10.6)

I would like to ask you to show me your DSDT.aml and your boot file

Rather than be wholly redundant, since we already have a R2E thread for SL I'll post what I know here.

----

SATA:

AHCI support is currently... weird. When in AHCI mode, for some reason the ICH10 SATA ports other than the one the boot drive is on get extremely poor performance, unless the boot drive is under moderate-to-heavy activity. There may be an AHCI link power management issue. In any case, there is no known solution to fix this problem in AHCI mode.

You'll need to switch to install Netkas's Snow Leopard ICH IDE driver, and then switch your SATA controller to IDE "Compatible" mode. Under IDE mode these performance problems do not occur.

LAN:

There's no way that I know of that you can simply inject the device strings you need. I may be wrong about this, but this is assuming it's not possible. As such you'll need to modify the AppleYukon2.kext plugin in IONetworkingFamily.kext to add the device ID for the LAN controllers.

To do so, M J has provided instructions.

Do note that any updates to AppleYukon2 in future SL updates will break this, and you'll need to do it again. Sorry.

Audio:

I'm going to assume that you have not patched your DSDT file beyond the bare minimum: the RTC and HPET fixes done automatically by the DSDT patcher and have manually removed the Alias entries. If you have properly edited your DSDT for audio, you can skip the bit about HDAEnabler.

For audio, we have a fully working injection solution. Thanks to The King, we have a kext that injects the necessary strings in to AppleHDA.

You'll need to drop the attached AD2000B.kext along with HDAEnabler.kext in to S/L/E/. The version of HDAEnabler included is the new 32bit/64bit version, so it's compatible with both boot modes. As this is an injection solution, it should survive all future OS updates unless Apple significantly overhauls AppleHDA.

Snow_Leopard_AD2000b.zip

Other notes:

When making changes to E/E/ or S/L/E/, please make sure to run Kext Utility when you're done to rebuild the kext cache, otherwise Bad Things may happen. If you're adding extensions to S/L/E/, I would also recommend using Kext Helper b7 to install them correctly.

Thanks

Actually I have also noticed that Chameleon RC2 on Snow Leopard does not load properly the Extensions.mkext files for all the following 3 (three) directories:

1. /Extra/Extensions.mkext

2. /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

3. /Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

I had to manually create the above Extensions.mkext files

Also the beta boot files EFI V10.0 , V10.1 and 10.2 each produce different bugs on Chameleon RC2 and RC1.

Finally the DSDT.aml file does not get recognized properly on Snow Leopard 10.6 producing KP

(The file DSDT.aml is recognized properly only on 10.5.8 but not on Snow Leopard 10.6)

I would like to ask you to show me your DSDT.aml and your boot file

For booting I'm using Chameleon RC1, booting in to 32bit mode due to the fact that the MS Mouse software doesn't work in 64bit mode. The only issue I'm aware of is the fact that you have to use Kext Utility to manually build the kext caches, to which I have no idea whether it's a Chameleon bug or something Snow Leopard did. Regardless since I don't touch the extensions often, I'm not having any problems.

As for DSDT.aml, I'm using a stock basic DSDT. All I did was disable HT and 3 of the CPU cores in the BIOS, boot in to SL in single-user mode, then run the DSDT patcher to fetch and patch my DSDT before finally editing the patched DSDT myself to remove the aliases. I'm not using any other tricks.

• 2 weeks later...

as i amm really new to the whole idea of using mac on PC. Just been inspired by seeing my friends Macbook.

My system config is as follows:

Rampage II extreme with i7 920, OCZ 2x2 ram, 1TB of HDD (for win7) and 80GB for using with MAC Snow Leopard. I am using an external DvD Writer which is connected through USB.

Can anyone help me with the bios config and proceedure to install Snow Leopard..

Thanks..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on Asus Rampage II Extreme X58

In order to have a successful installation of Snow Leopard on the Rampage II Extreme,

you would need to have the proper dsdt.aml file and /Extra directory.

STEPS

1. Partition a blank SATA HD with the GUID partition scheme and create a volume.

2. Turn on hidden files and folders, and open your Leopard DVD/DMG and navigate to "/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg". Run this package

3. Don't restart after you install, instead install the PC EFI 10.1/Chameleon 2.0 RC1 package to the drive you installed SL to.

4. copy the dsdt.aml file and then copy the /Extra directory

5. At this point you can reboot , and when you get to the Chameleon screen boot with the flags -v -x32

What about sleep? is it work? and other power management?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi

any news about this motherboard, i would like to know if anyone mange it to make good DSDT for this motherboard

IF YOU ARE SAYING asus extreme ii, then I agree, I need it also, nothing seems to work. But please state what "this" is for in the future.....Thanks.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
SATA:

And...I've done that. Have a nice SL installation on my RII Extreme, but trying to write to another drive is all but impossible. So I download the latest version I can find of the Snow Leopard ICH IDE driver, install it with kext helper, restart and set my drive mode to IDE...and no boot (gets to the Apple on a white background screen, sits there a while, then displays a circle-with-a-slash). Reset to AHCI mode, everything works (except other drives).

Suggestions?

• 1 month later...
what is your problem with asus rampage ii extreme x58 let me know.

hi

i have thist mesage :

SerialATAPI device reconfiguration

System: Asus Rampage II Extreme GTX 280 1GB video. is the dsdt somehow?

or video?

there are other guys who have the same Problems here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221875

Thank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

I am from turkey, and sorry for my english.

Even though I try so far everything is still unable to instal SL on my system.

My system is Asus R II E İ7 920 KINGSTON 2000MHZ T1 6GB. OCZ vertex 60gb. GTX 470.

First, I tried to install iATKOS S3 V2.. during installation, with f8 and type "-x-v busratio = 20 (and / or CPUs = 4.8)"

I came up with no trouble to Section of the disc format . But than I received this error, in the ss,

29122010024masastznrl.jpg

Then I tried to install on WD Velocity Raptor 300GB but still got the same error!!!

After than, For my boards our procedure goes like this,

Allow only have a 4gb ram,

Cpu only 1

Turn off HT, VT, and SS

Disable firewire,

turn of oc.

Set the power to s3 only,

set the IDE to AHCI,

Then when the booting screen came, type "-v cpus = 1 busratio=20" , every thing went normal to, came up with no trouble to Section of the disc format but again the same error!!! "cannot allolate the memory".

Please somebodyhelp me, somebody has the same system like me,

Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

Just finishing installing snow leopard on the rampage ii extreme.

A couple of things before installing.

1. Set bios to ACHI

2. Make sure you connect the HD which you're installing SL on to the 1st sata port

3. You need to have a bootable snow leopard USB. Check out this thread for instructions on how to make one: (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208724)

4. Download this BootCD - http://www.mediafire.com/?a0z1mkbreqxjopf

5. Download this AppleHDA.kext - http://www.mediafire.com/?cmuv6kci09h5egq

The BootCD contains the Extra folder, Chameleon2RC5 bootloader, bootcd, kext helper and kext utility

Wanted to say thanks to speedy61 and kups for the files and of course to the rest of people who helped make installing SL so easy these days.

1. Download the BootCD file and burn the .iso to a cd using the slowest speed.

2. Insert the BootCD and plug in the USB. Restart and at bios press F8 to boot up from the CD. Now chose the USB and start booting.

3. Once at the SL installation go to disk utitlies and partition the HD. Remember to click customize and deselect all the printers,etc.

4. When it's finished installing restart and again press F8 to start up with the bootcd. This time chose the HD you just installed to.

5. You should now see the video. Fill out all the information and you're at the desktop!

6. Network should be working so just go to Software Update and install all the updates up to 10.6.6.

7. Once the updates are installed it'll reboot and once again press f8 and boot up from the cd. Chose the HD and when it loads make sure you're running 10.6.6.

8. Open up the BootCD. Install the Chameleon bootloader. restart and boot up using the cd.

9. Copy the Extra folder from the bootcd to the root of your harddrive (Nvidia owners can try the Extra Nvidea folder - just make sure to rename it to extra). Open up kext utility and run it. This will repair permissions and create the mkext package. Once it's finished open up kext helper and drag the AppleHDA.kext file in there. Enter your password and install. Restart once complete. This time boot up directly from the HD. Hopefully you should now have a working 10.6.6 install on the rampage ii extreme complete with the app store.

1. Set bios to ACHI

2. Make sure you connect the HD which you're installing SL on to the 1st sata port

3. You need to have a bootable snow leopard USB. Check out this thread for instructions on how to make one: (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208724)

The BootCD contains the Extra folder, Chameleon2RC5 bootloader, bootcd, kext helper and kext utility

Wanted to say thanks to speedy61 and kups for the files and of course to the rest of people who helped make installing SL so easy these days.

2. Insert the BootCD and plug in the USB. Restart and at bios press F8 to boot up from the CD. Now chose the USB and start booting.

3. Once at the SL installation go to disk utitlies and partition the HD. Remember to click customize and deselect all the printers,etc.

4. When it's finished installing restart and again press F8 to start up with the bootcd. This time chose the HD you just installed to.

5. You should now see the video. Fill out all the information and you're at the desktop!

6. Network should be working so just go to Software Update and install all the updates up to 10.6.6.

7. Once the updates are installed it'll reboot and once again press f8 and boot up from the cd. Chose the HD and when it loads make sure you're running 10.6.6.

8. Open up the BootCD. Install the Chameleon bootloader. restart and boot up using the cd.

9. Copy the Extra folder from the bootcd to the root of your harddrive (Nvidia owners can try the Extra Nvidea folder - just make sure to rename it to extra). Open up kext utility and run it. This will repair permissions and create the mkext package. Once it's finished open up kext helper and drag the AppleHDA.kext file in there. Enter your password and install. Restart once complete. This time boot up directly from the HD. Hopefully you should now have a working 10.6.6 install on the rampage ii extreme complete with the app store.

So when I saw this post I got all excited and tried it because I can't get SL cd to boot. Tried just about every boot cd and it just restarts before Snow Leopard install starts and then my Video Card fan is 100% so I feel like that may be the problem but I can't seem to solve it. This is my first attempt at Mac OS X and don't know to much about it. I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me out.

My specs:

i7 920 Rampage Extreme II 16gb ram ATI 5970. I bought the retail CD (10.6 not 10.6.3) and put it on a flash drive.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Set bios to ACHI

I've made it but i've this kernel panic (look at the attachment).

What's the problem?

post-170140-1295915246_thumb.jpg

I've made it but i've this kernel panic (look at the attachment).

What's the problem?

Looks like a video card panic.

Which one are you using? For this guide I am using an ati 4870.

When does the Kp occur? Have you gotten to the install screen?

• 2 months later...