965P-DS4 Success with Retail 10.6 - 64 Bit

134 posts in this topic

Hey all, after trolling the boards for what seemed to be forever, I finally took the leap and managed to install 10.6 on my system (specs below) without any major glitches. Of course it didn't seem that way at the time, I had to read through years of posts and follow endless links to get more information about this board of mine, which although cutting edge two years ago, is rarely seen here. Here's a brief summary of what I did.

I started with an existing Leopard (10.5.8) installation and partitioned one of my other drives as a GUID partition on which I installed Snow Leopard from within Leopard. I proceeded to install Chameleon 2.0 RC1 (somehow RC2 does not work on this system), and overwrote the "boot" file with PC EFI 10.1 from Netkas. I created a DSDT using the DSDT Patcher util found here, and placed it in my Extra folder on the Snow Leopard drive. I threw in some KEXTs I found from another thread and placed:- fakesmc.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext (with fix for 88E056), OpenHaltRestart.kext into the Extensions folder.

I was so eager to try my install out that I just rebooted, and got an instant KP. Turns out I am an idiot, and was booting from my regular Leopard drive and choosing the Snow Leopard drive in the Chameleon menu. Yeah I know, I was tired.

Anyway, booted from the Snow Leopard drive and got a KP at the welcome screen. Read on here some more and found out it is a Kextcache problem. From Leopard I ran the Kext Utility and created Extensions.mkext both in the /Extras folder and then in the /E/E and rebooted. Got another KP at the welcome screen. An astute reader (I know not who, I am sorry), had recommended booting with 32 bit support, so I gave that a whirl, typing in -v -f -x32 on the Chameleon screen. Bob's your uncle, for I got directly to the Desktop! NO KPs! The same person had then recommended to run the Kext Utility from within Snow Leopard now. So I did and rebooted with 64 Bit support!

And here I am, proud as can be. Next step of course -> Boot 132 for SL!

post-31024-1251516526_thumb.png

post-31024-1251516537_thumb.png

post-31024-1251516588_thumb.png

You are a life saver! I greatly appreciate you sharing this with us here.

I'll post back with my results tonight. I have a GA-965P-S3 Rev 1.0 mobo.

I'm hoping that the difference between our motherboards will be very minor.

For anyone else's reference here are the specs :

GA-965P-DS4

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...?ProductID=2288

GA-965P-S3

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...?ProductID=2321

I read that some users said installing from OSInstall.mpkg results in an unstable installation. Have you had any random KP through general use?

Off topic - This may be a silly question but what benefits would you get by installing SL using boot132. I never tinkered with it myself, but would be keen to try.

Regards,

Slither2008.

PS : I noticed your signature lists you have an ALC888 sound device. I looked through the manual for your mobo and it states it has an ALC883 like mine. Are you using the ALC888 kext?

I have a two question please.

In your BIOS Settings under "Integrated Peripherals"

What have you got for the following :

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode : [ENABLED or DISABLED]

OnBoard SATA/IDE Device : [ENABLED or DISABLED]

OnBoard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode : [iDE or AHCI or RAID/IDE]

Also which sata port have you got your Snow HDD connected to on your mobo please.

The ports names are :

Intel ICH8R Chipset

SATAII 0

SATAII 1

SATAII 2

SATAII 3

SATAII 4

SATAII 5

JMicron Chipset

GSATAII 0

GSATAII 1

I've attached a picture of you're DS4 mobo to save you opening your case to check.

SATA-DS4.png

Thank you Tim for your help, it's working great now (in x64).

sysprofilersllarge.jpg

Sound, Network & video : DSDT.aml

I've got one problem remain, the JMicron ports are not working, and all the injectors i've test cause KP.

I noticed your signature lists you have an ALC888 sound device. I looked through the manual for your mobo and it states it has an ALC883 like mine.

The rev.2 and 3.3 have the ALC888 8 Channel Audio chipset.

Superb work Innerz!! That's awesome. I haven't even managed to get Sound with ALC888 through DSDT. How did you go about that?

I have a two question please.

In your BIOS Settings under "Integrated Peripherals"

What have you got for the following :

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode : [ENABLED or DISABLED]

OnBoard SATA/IDE Device : [ENABLED or DISABLED]

OnBoard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode : [iDE or AHCI or RAID/IDE]

Also which sata port have you got your Snow HDD connected to on your mobo please.

The ports names are :

Intel ICH8R Chipset

SATAII 0

SATAII 1

SATAII 2

SATAII 3

SATAII 4

SATAII 5

JMicron Chipset

GSATAII 0

GSATAII 1

Slitherz I am not at my machine so can't really get to my BIOS settings. But as Innerz replied, we have ALC888 in our machines (rev 2.0 and 3.3). I will report back this evening.

Here an archive with all the .kext i've used : GA_965p_DS4.zip

Champion, thanks mate. I'm having a look through them now.

I've noticed a couple of GA boards have the CMOS error. I have a fix if you need it.

In regards to patching Sound and Lan in to the DSDT file. Would someone be able to run through a very quick description of what is required to point me in the right direction.

I have no probs decompiling/compiling my dsdt. I have a codec dump of my ALC883 sound device also.

I noticed on mine that that sound device is referenced as AZAL not HDEF....I've gone through and modified it to include my basic layout-id etc but patching the AppleHDA kext is starting to take up too much time.

Cheers.

can you explain step bye step please ı dont understand

and ı ınstall but kp please can anybody explain step bye step to install sl on ga965p ds4

can someone teach me please how to install step bye step

This is very important, take note of the bold text below:

1. Enable AHCI in your BIOS if you're HDD is SATA.

2. You must have a dsdt.dsl placed in the root of your Snow Leopard HDD. i.e /Volumes/Snow/dsdt.aml

3. To create the the file /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext you must drag the Extensions folder to the desktop first! Then drag the Extensions folder on your desktop onto the Kext Utility icon (place this also on the desktop). This creates an Extensions.mkext on your desktop. Drag back both the Extensions.mkext and the Extensions folder to /Volumes/Snow/Extra/

4. Get the latest FakeSMC.kext from netkas.org.

If you don't follow these steps you'll get kp's varying from ("still waiting for root device", "kernel trap", "IOPlatform....cpp:14xx blah")

Good luck.

DSDT fix Wake after sleep "Device removal problem"

This has been a well-known issue with OSx86. On most motherboards, USB ports show as “Expansion Slot” and not “Built-In USB” as they should. The result is “Expansion Slot” ports go to sleep which inefficiently disconnects your USB devices which can cause problems with external HDDs, flash keys, etc.

Before DSDT fix

beforefix.jpg

After DSDT fix

Now the two EHCI ports should be seen as "Built-in", and the wake after sleep should be fixed :)

afterfix.jpg

Just edit your "dsdt.dsl", search for "USBE", and add the following lines (in red)

Device (USBE)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001D0007)

Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))

{

Return (0x02)

}

Return (0x03)

}

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

{

0x0D,

One

})

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"AAPL,clock-id",

Buffer (0x01)

{

0x01

},

"device_type",

Buffer (0x05)

{

"EHCI"

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

Device (USE2)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001A0007)

Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))

{

Return (0x02)

}

Return (0x03)

}

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

{

0x0D,

One

})

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"AAPL,clock-id",

Buffer (0x01)

{

0x02

},

"device_type",

Buffer (0x05)

{

"EHCI"

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

Sources :

All credit goes to ApexDe for finding this fix !

- USB sleep then wake "Device Removal" problem

- DSDT - How to enable EHCI ports as "built-in"

DSDT fix Wake after sleep "Device removal problem"

Before DSDT fix

beforefix.jpg

After DSDT fix

Now the two EHCI ports should be seen as "Built-in", and the wake after sleep should be fixed :)

afterfix.jpg

Just edit your "dsdt.dsl", search for "USBE", and add the following lines (in red)

Sources :

All credit goes to ApexDe for finding this fix !

- USB sleep then wake "Device Removal" problem

- DSDT - How to enable EHCI ports as "built-in"

Great find Innerz,

Thanks for sharing it with us here! :)

Hi ysndnz,

I use EFI Studio. But I'm not sure if you'll find your ATI card listed. Once you get the HEX string you add it into your com.apple.boot.plist. I'm referring to the one you place in /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist.

etc....

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>HEX STRING GOES HERE</string>

</dict>

etc....

2. You must have a dsdt.dsl placed in the root of your Snow Leopard HDD. i.e /Volumes/Snow/dsdt.dsl

Hello! Slither, nice to meet with you in this post again. Just a remark it should be dsdt.aml instead of dsdt.dsl which have to put in the volume drive. By the way, looking forward for your Audio solution for 965P-S3.

By the way, looking forward for your Audio solution for 965P-S3.

Do you not have it working? I'm using the 965P-DS3 and have my ALC883 audio working through a patched AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. It only allows for stereo output though, so it's not the most elegant solution...

Hello! Slither, nice to meet with you in this post again. Just a remark it should be dsdt.aml instead of dsdt.dsl which have to put in the volume drive. By the way, looking forward for your Audio solution for 965P-S3.

HAHA...yeah I'v been moonlighting...lolol. Thanks for spotting the mistake. Corrected now.

I'm looking forward to it too...hahahaha. It's still a work in progress. I was up til midnight last night (AEST) but am stilling playing with verb injection in the DSDT and the LegacyHDA.

I'll post the solution as soon as I can. I think this'll require me to research more into Master Chief and King Pin's hda patching guides.

Do you not have it working? I'm using the 965P-DS3 and have my ALC883 audio working through a patched AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. It only allows for stereo output though, so it's not the most elegant solution...

I've managed to get a Legacy HDA to work so far with a few sound assertions. Stereo out is working but I need to work on it more. I'll post the patched hda kext and (dsdt or com.apple.boot.list) soon.

I read that some users said installing from OSInstall.mpkg results in an unstable installation. Have you had any random KP through general use?

does someone have answer to this? I find it unlikely since I have taken this route before and did not notice any difference but then again I did it just for fun and never used it any longer! :D

I have a 965P-DS3 / Q6600 / 8800GT, and just getting itchy to try this out as soon as my copy of snow leopard arrives (from uTorrent). :P

(sorry I am planning to buy SL soon from Amazon as well.

does someone have answer to this? I find it unlikely since I have taken this route before and did not notice any difference but then again I did it just for fun and never used it any longer! :D

I have a 965P-DS3 / Q6600 / 8800GT, and just getting itchy to try this out as soon as my copy of snow leopard arrives (from uTorrent). :P

Well not KPs but rather messed up permissions. Disk Utility won't correct them within Snow Leopard. However, as a few astute board gurus noticed, you can solve this issue by installing BSD.pkg on the Install DVD from Snow Leopard.

does someone have answer to this? I find it unlikely since I have taken this route before and did not notice any difference but then again I did it just for fun and never used it any longer! :(

I installed SL onto a brand new drive this way and it would kernel panic - but all I had to do was set the correct permissions on kexts and rebuild mkexts and it's running fine now. I left it running all day/night and it has no problems at all. I also had to reinstall BSD.pkg but apart from that, it's fine. :)

So finally I got SL as my primary and only OS on my system. I followed the USB Stick/Partition containing the SL image installation method detailed by noob766 in his generic post. It worked like a charm somewhat. Be warned though, keep ONLY the fakesmc, nullcpupowermanagement, and openhaltrestart kexts in there. Any Vanilla kexts that you modify and keep on the USB /E/E folder WILL cause the installation to panic. MANY many KPs later here I am. Finally on SL. Stable and fine :)

Hi retired,

Could you point me to the same directions for the patched AppleAzaliaaudio.kext. Does it work in 64bit mode?

Thank you.

Sorry for the double post. I hit new topic by mistake...

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your work here and for all the instructions I have read for the past 48 hours... I finally got my 965P DS3 board running with 10.6. I have one major issue left and that is I can't get my VIA IDE working on the MoBo. I had it working in my 10.5.8 install and I have put 10.6 on a new drive. I tried copying my old AppleVIA.Kext over from the 10.5.8 drive and that did not work. I have also downloaded AppleVIAATA.Kext and still no luck I have run the Kext Utility to fix permissions and still nothing. I see other's here have it working, could someone please point me in the right direction?

I also got my audio working via the 883 driver package and am outputting SPDIF. Has anyone figured out how to keep the audio from sleeping and cutting off the 1st second of audio? Is there anyway to control the SPDIF volume with the volume control? I can only use the volume on my speakers for now and would like to use the keyboard volume keys.