Any drivers for GMA950 on Snow leopard?

rcpchina

40 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah could be a good idea thus I don't know if it works with nvidia cards only? if not we'll need to find/dump a real mac GMA950 rom....

So if some experts here can confirm by using a real mac gma950 with chameleon RC3 video rom bypass new feature if it will work and so how to extract a real mac's gma950 then.... :)

Thanks!!

i have tried to run sl with my gma950 27a2 (hp 530 notebook) with efi string (works perfectly under 10.5.8) but it doesn't work on snow leopard :)

just want to make sure you realize that it only runs 32bit because there are no 64 bit gma950 kexts. if you have a core2duo it will boot into 64bit by default. that means you have to boot with arch=i386 at chameleon prompt (or appropriate kernel flag depending on your bootloader). I've tried to use kernel flags for this in com.apple.boot.plist with no luck.

Yea I have the laptop GMA 950 working fully on 10.5.7 and assuming that it works on 10.5.8. Hopefully there is a driver or something soon because I want to run Snow Leopard, but I don't like the dam stretched 1024x768.

Yea I have the laptop GMA 950 working fully on 10.5.7 and assuming that it works on 10.5.8. Hopefully there is a driver or something soon because I want to run Snow Leopard, but I don't like the dam stretched 1024x768.

works perfectly fine on my E1505. QE, CI and all resolutions (arch=i386). follow my posts if you have problems.

works perfectly fine on my E1505. QE, CI and all resolutions (arch=i386). follow my posts if you have problems.

Wait so did you just use the stock kexts from leopard and the arch=i386 it will work fine?

Wait so did you just use the stock kexts from leopard and the arch=i386 it will work fine?

you also need the EFI string in c.a.boot.plist. Mine is on the hidden EFI partition. cpus=1 still needs to be used until somebody is able to patch the kernel (soon probably). I've tried to force the system into 32bit mode with kernel flags from c.a.boot.plist but for some reason not possible. Only way is to type arch=i386 at chameleon prompt.

stock kexts, EFI string and cpus=1 works perfect. You will not see any keys in system config referring to qe or ci. But you'll know it works because you get the correct resolution and you can play the CHESS game, your screen server works and expose gives you ripples when you add a new widget. you also need to use the sleep/wake display script cause you'll be greeted with a black screen after boot if you don't do it beforehand. read this. You'll also find my c.a.boot.plist one or two posts above that one for reference.

everything working, no artifacts either.

edit1: I see you have core duo, not core2duo. you therefore should not have to worry about 32bit really as it should aromatically load 32bit. (check to make sure, if you e.g. use kextutility, it will tell you whether you are running 32 or 64bit). also, don't forget to remove other kexts you tried to fix the problem, e.g. natit or elliotgma..).

edit2: just found out from Kabyl that the correct way to load 32bit from c.a.boot.plist is via key, not kernel flag string. So, even if you don't know whether you load 32 or 64bit by default, just use this to force 32 as there are no 64bit gma950 kexts.

<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>

you also need the EFI string in c.a.boot.plist. Mine is on the hidden EFI partition.

[...snip...]

edit2: just found out from Kabyl that the correct way to load 32bit from c.a.boot.plist is via key, not kernel flag string. So, even if you don't know whether you load 32 or 64bit by default, just use this to force 32 as there are no 64bit gma950 kexts.

<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>

So you have Chameleon installed on the EFI partition and the com.apple.Boot.plist with the string in is the Extra folder there? that's the only place you have to put the string? Can you post the complete contents of your plist file?

I heard the DSDT patch does not work on the mobile chipsets?

I am on a desktop

Yah, desktop and laptop GMA950 are very different.

What DSDT patching method did you use? I'd be willing to try on my laptop GMA950.

Right now, am using SL kexts with EFI string and have resolution support but not full acceleration (also no VGA out, but that usually requires old framebuffer kext for me).

So you have Chameleon installed on the EFI partition and the com.apple.Boot.plist with the string in is the Extra folder there? that's the only place you have to put the string? Can you post the complete contents of your plist file?

I heard the DSDT patch does not work on the mobile chipsets?

yes, Extra folder on hidden EFI partition with the EFI string. c.a.boot.plist is located here

i have tried to run sl with my gma950 27a2 (hp 530 notebook) with efi string (works perfectly under 10.5.8) but it doesn't work on snow leopard :)

cuki3r3k83,

I also have an HP 520/530.

Any luck? I just installed Snow Leopard using the russian mod SnowOSX Universal, and I can't get it to boot into the OS. I get a kernel panic right after the Darwin launch. Any progress? Maybe we can work together on this one? Could this panic be due to the graphics driver problem?