 [GUIDE] SNOW on Abit IP35-Pro! (ICH9-R)

ricola

360 posts in this topic

Yes its also quite stable here now... only the sluggish spaces is annoying. By the way the AHCIPortInjector.kext is not neccessary, it works without it. :(

AHCIPortInjector.kext correct SATA info in SysPref :D

When I installed Chameleon RC1 - I see that Extra folder is inside .Chameleon folder - not Root! Is this ok? Should I leave it like this? Or should I move the Extra folder from .Chameleon to Root directory?

The other question is about part 5 "5. Replace boot file in Snow root with the one you download". - I don't have such a file in my Root. I see all hidden files - buto no "boot", so I can't replace it. The only thing I can do is to copy a new one there. Did I make something wrong? What is the difference between original "boot" file from Chameleon RC1 and yours?

".Chameleon folder" and "boot" file are created by installing Chameleon-2.0-r431.pkg, but they're both hidden and both are on root (Volumes/Snow). You can see them using ShowHiddenFiles.app or simply do the CLI

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

to hide them

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

"Move to trash" /Snow/boot before replacing it with downloaded one

Hello All, and congratulations to those of you who got SL running on your systems! First off, thank you Ricola for posting this guide, it definitely got me headed in the right direction. And now after 2 days of tweaking and testing I was able to boot into snow leopard! I am running an abit IP35 pro xe mobo with a core 2 e6400 and 2GB of ocz reaper ddr2-667 ram.

There are a few main concerns I have so far now that I am in SL:

1) whenever I restart or shut down, my bios settings get changed from AHCI to IDE mode, thus not allowing me to boot into SL until I go back into the bios and set it back to AHCI. any ideas on why this might be happening?

2) also, in order for the audio to work (digital out), does the .kext file need to be installed in the /extra/extensions, and /extra/extensions.mkext? or can I just install it in the system/library/extensions folder?

3) has anybody tried a ps2 fix for keyboard/mouse? I am currently borrowing a usb keyboard but will soon have to give it up.

Thanks in advance for the help and good luck to the rest of you!

I got past the ACPI KernelPanic by (additionally to your guide) creating my own DSDT.aml with DSDTPatcher_Gui and using that script -> http://www.upload.ee/files/178019/kextcachesfix.sh.html.

Now I am stuck with "Still waiting for boot device" error. Anyone knows how to fix it? Would appreciate a lot. :)

@ musticas : check first post and post #42, after that upload your dsdt_fixed.txt and SS of your error here

Hello All, and congratulations to those of you who got SL running on your systems! First off, thank you Ricola for posting this guide, it definitely got me headed in the right direction. And now after 2 days of tweaking and testing I was able to boot into snow leopard! I am running an abit IP35 pro xe mobo with a core 2 e6400 and 2GB of ocz reaper ddr2-667 ram.

There are a few main concerns I have so far now that I am in SL:

1) whenever I restart or shut down, my bios settings get changed from AHCI to IDE mode, thus not allowing me to boot into SL until I go back into the bios and set it back to AHCI. any ideas on why this might be happening?

2) also, in order for the audio to work (digital out), does the .kext file need to be installed in the /extra/extensions, and /extra/extensions.mkext? or can I just install it in the system/library/extensions folder?

3) has anybody tried a ps2 fix for keyboard/mouse? I am currently borrowing a usb keyboard but will soon have to give it up.

Thanks in advance for the help and good luck to the rest of you!

@tylerz32 :

1. You can fix it with dsdt editing :

Change length in RTC to 0x02, my dsdt is look like this

Device (RTC)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						0x04,			   // Alignment
						0x04,			   // Length <--------
						)
				})
			}

change to something like this

Device (RTC)
			{
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x04,			   // Alignment
						0x02,			   // Length
						)
				})
			}

2. Extra/Extensions better, and always rebuild mkext after messing with extensions folder.

3. You need PS2 kext , check here

@ musticas : check first post and post #42, after that upload your dsdt_fixed.txt and SS of your error here

@tylerz32 :

1. You can fix it with dsdt editing :

Change length in RTC to 0x02, my dsdt is look like this

Device (RTC)
			{
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x04,			   // Alignment
						0x04,			   // Length <--------
						)
				})
			}

change to something like this

Device (RTC)
			{
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x04,			   // Alignment
						0x02,			   // Length
						)
				})
			}

2. Extra/Extensions better, and always rebuild mkext after messing with extensions folder.

3. You need PS2 kext , check here

Thanks ricola for the quick reply.

My DSDT has been set to "0x02" but still getting bios reset each restart/shut down. Do you know what the DSDT file has to do with bios settings? I have never seen a settings file that can modify the bios. if this one can, are there others that do too?

I also tried building a new mkext with the legacyHDA.kext 'Black mentioned earler and a ps2 kext from the site you mentioned. I placed them in the /extra/extensions folder, then build the mkext with kext utility.app. the mkext was built successfully but if i'm not mistaken I still need to enter in terminal this code:

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions

Unfortunately this is not possible because every time I have opened Terminal, SL completely comes to a halt and must be shut down.

I have tried booting in my kalyway 10.5.2 disk and entering this code in terminal:

touch /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions

touch /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

But, no luck there either.

Ideas Welcome.

Hi tylerz32

Did you use -newHPET option when you generate your DSDT?

Try change the alignment to 0x00

Device (RTC)
			{
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x00,			   // Alignment < -----
						0x02,			   // Length
						)
				})
			}

http://netkas.org/?p=114

If you are on 10.6, just click the Kext Utility.app and the application do the rest. No need another terminal command.

Hi tylerz32

Did you use -newHPET option when you generate your DSDT?

Try change the alignment to 0x00

Device (RTC)
			{
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x00,			   // Alignment < -----
						0x02,			   // Length
						)
				})
			}

http://netkas.org/?p=114

If you are on 10.6, just click the Kext Utility.app and the application do the rest. No need another terminal command.

My device rtc code looks identical to yours, and newHPET was used when I generated my dsdt.

still cannot get the audio kext's to work either. used kext utility.app on the desktop, then replaced the mkext in /snow/extra folder with the new one from the desktop.

would smbios have anything to do with terminal crashing SL? I was wondering where you got the information inserted in your smbios file. specifically, the smbiosversion and smserial.

smbios.plist is just cosmetic ... you can get rid off it .. it only shows correct UUID in syspref->hardware

and what is your audio chip? is it alc888 or ..?

good to know on the smbios. I do have alc888. I would like to set up the digital out if possible. are there modifications that need to be done to the dsdt file in order for the sound to work? or can the .kext just be added into /snow/extra/extensions.mkext?

I guess terminal has decided to stop crashing the system as well. no idea how, but hopefully it sticks.

Ok. forget about RAID. What I'm trying to do is to install SL on a single drive on AbitIP35Pro. No luck from 3 days.....

@Ricola - I was trying to use your version of DSDT file - no luck. Then I was trying to use the DSDT file you made for me - no luck. Now I'm trying to do my own DSDT file - and when I look inside it - this is what I see :

Scope (\_PR)
 {
	 Processor (\_PR.CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
	 Processor (\_PR.CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
	 Processor (\_PR.CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
	 Processor (\_PR.CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
 }

But I have only 2 cores! My processor is E6850 C2D 3Ghz - and the BIOS version of my Mobo is v17 - the latest one.

So - is this normal? Should I edit this file line by line to make it right? What is the point to use DSDT Patcher if the file it gives me is not right? I'm really confused....

PS. Look at the screenshot... any ideas?

Just a little heads up for you fellow IP35 Pro Owners.

Chameleon RC2's ForceHPET option is designed for these boards because the bios doesnt enable it.

You'll still need to add hpet to your dsdt.

Do both and AppleHPET will now load.

bs0d.

Ok. forget about RAID. What I'm trying to do is to install SL on a single drive on AbitIP35Pro. No luck from 3 days.....

@Ricola - I was trying to use your version of DSDT file - no luck. Then I was trying to use the DSDT file you made for me - no luck. Now I'm trying to do my own DSDT file - and when I look inside it - this is what I see :

Scope (\_PR)
 {
	 Processor (\_PR.CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
	 Processor (\_PR.CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
	 Processor (\_PR.CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
	 Processor (\_PR.CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
 }

But I have only 2 cores! My processor is E6850 C2D 3Ghz - and the BIOS version of my Mobo is v17 - the latest one.

So - is this normal? Should I edit this file line by line to make it right? What is the point to use DSDT Patcher if the file it gives me is not right? I'm really confused....

PS. Look at the screenshot... any ideas?

The error is not from DSDT.aml, it looks like no kext are loaded.

Try this :

Navigate to :

/Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

if there is an Extensions.mkext delete it

/Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext <-- delete this as well

In Terminal :

sudo -s
chown 0:0 /Volumes/Snow

Next boot with : arch=x86_32 -v -x

if error still remain boot again with only : -v

I just patch your dsdt_fixed.txt again. Rename dsdt.aml to DSDT.aml before use :P

Waveman777.DSDT.zip

@Ricola - thanks again for trying to help me.

Before I delete .mkext file I would like to know something.

There is one step I have a problem with - "11": I couldn't rebuild .mkext file in this way because I got an error "Sorry, could not create "Extensions.mkext"

So - the only way to rebuld it - was copying the Extension folder from Extra to Desktop - and rebuild .mkext here - and move the Extensions back to Extra with proper .mkext. - Maybe that was the problem? What do you think?

I just patch your dsdt_fixed.txt again. Rename dsdt.aml to DSDT.aml before use :P

Another thing is - I just realize that the DSDT file you made for me again has the same problem - 4 cores instead of 2 - should I leave it like that? or delete them? Why is this happening? Maybe there is something wrong with my BIOS settings? But I didn't change anything and Leopard was working fine...

if DSDT 4 -- 2 core -- > ok

if DSDT 2 -- 2 core -- > ok

if DSDT 2 -- 4 core -- > this is not ok ..

I'm sure of that, forget about your DSDT.aml (it is fine), i did test yours to boot my computer E7500 2 core, ran fine :thanks_speechbubble:

Try to boot with your snow HDD at 1st order in bios. Sorry for my English ;p

Big thanks to ricola! I've got my SL running very well except few issues:

1)Can't weake up from sleep

2)Can't backup to network share with time machine - "com.apple.backupd[228] Couldn't find en0" => can't get right name of sparsebundle.

If someone fixed those issues, please reply

Big thanks to ricola! I've got my SL running very well except few issues:

1)Can't weake up from sleep

2)Can't backup to network share with time machine - "com.apple.backupd[228] Couldn't find en0" => can't get right name of sparsebundle.

If someone fixed those issues, please reply

Hi Hueponik, you're welcome

1. I have no sleep/wake problem -> SleepEnabler.kext in E/E

2. Search for "bonjour networking" in this forum.

-ricola

The error is not from DSDT.aml, it looks like no kext are loaded.

Try this :

Navigate to :

/Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

if there is an Extensions.mkext delete it

/Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext <-- delete this as well

In Terminal :

sudo -s
chown 0:0 /Volumes/Snow

Next boot with : arch=x86_32 -v -x

if error still remain boot again with only : -v

I just patch your dsdt_fixed.txt again. Rename dsdt.aml to DSDT.aml before use :)

It works @ricola !!!! :) I mean - I didn't check everything but - I write from SL now ! :)

Look - I removed Extensions.mkext from Extra and it works - I got an error first trying to boot in 64bit mode - So I rebooted with -x32 and it works. So - I decided to try 64bit again - and after rebooting - 64bit works fine as well :) I don't know why is it like that - but now it works in 64bit without errors.... yet :(

So - is there any other way to build Extensions.mkext again in a proper way @ricola?

PS. @ricola - your English is great - don't worry about it. English is my second language as well and I do make a lot of mistakes so - don't worry - its fine :) As you can see - we can talk about complicated things and you can help everybody even if your English is not perfect :)

Wow, I love you! Thanks for making this guide. I have exactly the same motherborad and will try installing snow next week. My config includes Intel Core 2 Quad and EVGA 8600GT so expect from me to see if it works. Cheers!

@waveman777 : glad to hear you made it .... :D

:) I hope that the error I got while first booting in 64bit mode is not going to happen again...

Do you think its normal first time? Do you have any idea why this is happening?

I also got an error after rebuilding .mkext - but after restart - seems to be fine... for now.... I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

PS.... now - tell me where I can meet you and buy you a beer :D;)

Hi,

I'm trying to install SL but without success until now.

Abit IP35 Pro

Intel Q6600 2.4GHz

Memory 4 x 2GB

VGA Geforce 8500GT

HDD WDC SATA 1x150GB, 1x1TB, 1x400GB, 1x200GB .

The Snow partition it's on the 200GB drive.

Gone through all the steps + DSDT, but after restart it hangs, with no errors or KPs...

Wow.. Working sleep on the Abit IP35 board! I've got to try this out.. I've been running Leopard on mine for a year and a half or more now, it's NEVER been able to sleep. Man what I wouldn't give for some sleep! I almost jumped ship and bought a Gigabyte board (but I was too lazy).. :)

Thanks for the guide.. I'll be giving it a whirl on mine as soon as I can come up with a spare HDD so I don't have to risk my current install.

Ok I have gone through this process several times now, and there is one thing that really confuses me.

I can ONLY get the drive to boot SL if:

1) I install Chameleon from 10.5

2) I cache kexts (using the tool) from 10.6

This is keeping me from installing on my main system because I don't have two systems available at the same time.

I believe it is because Chameleon is forcing me to boot in 64bit mode, and 10.5 won't compile 64bit cache. I am unable to get Chameleon to boot in 32bit mode; I have tried: "-v arch=x86_32" and "-v -x32" with no luck.

Any ideas? I would gladly install everything from an existing SL install, but I cannot get Chameleon to complete successfully.

Wow.. Working sleep on the Abit IP35 board! I've got to try this out.. I've been running Leopard on mine for a year and a half or more now, it's NEVER been able to sleep. Man what I wouldn't give for some sleep! I almost jumped ship and bought a Gigabyte board (but I was too lazy).. :unsure:

Thanks for the guide.. I'll be giving it a whirl on mine as soon as I can come up with a spare HDD so I don't have to risk my current install.

Me too! I've gotten this install to sleep but it wouldn't wake up. The USB devices got power when I attempted to wake though...