Upgrade for $29?

7 posts in this topic

I have OS X 10.5.8 on my desktop (hp mediacenter) and will soon be following suit and making it work on my laptop, which is another HP, once I fix it around...

...and I was wondering, does anyone have a clue, on if I pick up the $29 disc that Apple is selling, would it update and work for me? I don't wanna try it and botch an installation, I have a wonderful thing I wrote up for my model of computer of all I did and had to do to set up, and doing that again isn't my favorite choice.

Once someone knows, let me know!

Thanks!

-CL

I would like to know this as well, or at least could I do this:

1. Format blank drive to GUID/HFS+ from within my current Leopard install

2. Install Leopard 10.5.6 to that blank drive

3. Install Snow Leopard 10.6 update over the Leopard install I just did

4. Apply Chameleon, needed kexts/mods and reboot

I believe that paying the $29 bucks gets you the retail disk with full installer. There is no other option currently available from apple for a single user lisence. On my pre order reciept it says MAC OS X 10.6 SNOW LEOPARD - RETAIL INT which was the $29 upgrade. hope this helps.

flash

I don't know if it's a "full retail" in the sense that it will install standalone on a blank hard drive.. It probably needs to piggyback off an existing Leopard installation. Anyways, I'll end up just waiting until people get theirs on the 28th, and I'll see if it works out for them. If so, then yes, $30 bucks is a good deal.

• 9 months later...