[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

The reason that's occuring is you probably used my com.apple.Boot.plist that I included and didn't modify it with the 8800GT 512MB string. It's REALLY easy to do, and I highly suggest you do so.. The only reason it still works is that both cards use the G92 chip, and are fairly similar. If you don't feel comfortable with the way I explained it, then read a guide on EFI strings and use EFI studio to replace my string with yours.

I set up the EFI string, but I must have forgotten to copy the file back after editing. I just re-did it and everything's good. Thanks. I also have the KP on software update.

Ok, I respect your opinion and there is some truth to what you are saying (and like that as someone who believes in the "no" option you have the sense to post why). I've seen more "specific" guides stickied in other forum sections here (especially for Leopard), but I just want to get an idea of what people think so far, regardless if it is stickied or not... I do plan to make it more universal as time goes on, but I need more people who come in and have very few problems to verify that what I have right now is good enough for this board family before I move on to other stuff.

To Thrace, congrats!! If there are any loose ends, let me know!

Hey your guide says it itself 100% working for your Computer. So in that respect its a very good guide. I would like to help you make it more generic but my computer is a dell inspiron 6400 core duo. which has the exact same parts in it as the first macbook ever made. so i don't have any troubles with driver issues.

Do you want to try and mix my guide with your's to give everyone a more retail experience with less issues?

Software Update Kernal Panics used to happen all the time back in leopard before vanilla installs. So do you think that some of the changes made it not vanilla? I have had no issues with Software Update on my machine yet.

If you have a knowledge of your system give my method a go http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227 but it only covers how to get a dvd to boot in a PC NOT any additional drivers that your system might need to even get to the point of booting the dvd. such as graphics or sound.

I'll consider it, but at the moment I want to iron out every issue I can with the common Gigabyte boards that others have (even though I'm 100% and some others are, not EVERYONE is), and once that's complete we can combine the generic elements of your guide and the specific elements of mine to make a master guide. Your guide is extremely generic which is good for compatibility, but it's not as explanatory for noobs who have no idea what they're doing yet. It also only discusses how to make an installation partition and use a hidden EFI partition instead of the regular Snow partition for Chameleon. Because I haven't implemented this yet into my guide, if you want I'll add the information about Chameleon on the hidden EFI partition and credit you, but I was going to add this in eventually anyway. It's not a necessity as I've found, because even though it hides your modded files, it doesn't really give a huge benefit over having the files in your root Snow directory.

Interestingly enough, I have had zero issues with Software Update as well... I installed a printer driver update and some other update right when I 1st booted, and since then no new updates are available.

So, you want to install the new Snow Leopard 10.6 onto your GA EP45-UD3L/R/P? You've come to the right place!

Standing work, dude. This tut looks nice.

Anyway one thing: according to this site: http://www.incomplete-news.com/?p=2512

the EP45-UD3L uses the ALC888 chipset. Yours the UD3R has ALC889a chipset. I strongly encourage you to mention that somewhere in the beginning of your tut.

Moreover: does sound from your solution come out of the GREEN JACK or from the BLACK JACK?

Kudos

I'll consider it, but at the moment I want to iron out every issue I can with the common Gigabyte boards that others have (even though I'm 100% and some others are, not EVERYONE is), and once that's complete we can combine the generic elements of your guide and the specific elements of mine to make a master guide. Your guide is extremely generic which is good for compatibility, but it's not as explanatory for noobs who have no idea what they're doing yet. It also only discusses how to make an installation partition and use a hidden EFI partition instead of the regular Snow partition for Chameleon. Because I haven't implemented this yet into my guide, if you want I'll add the information about Chameleon on the hidden EFI partition and credit you, but I was going to add this in eventually anyway. It's not a necessity as I've found, because even though it hides your modded files, it doesn't really give a huge benefit over having the files in your root Snow directory.

Interestingly enough, I have had zero issues with Software Update as well... I installed a printer driver update and some other update right when I 1st booted, and since then no new updates are available.

it has enough information for middle range noobs :rolleyes: just not those who have no idea what is in their systems. seriously to do this right you should start of with a distro of Leopard made by the community so you can find out what your computer needs to function such as Leo4all, Kalyway, JaS, not anything close to boot-132 methods. i just went over the hidden efi partition so people are able to physically boot from the DVD disc. and not have to install from a working installation.

I will add the sound chip difference to my guide, thanks for bringing that up. If you mean by solution, well the GREEN jack is the sound output, for speakers. The BLACK jack is for a subwoofer I believe. Is this what you meant?

I'm trying to add Chipset specific fixes to my guide as well but since 10.6 is still in baby stages the community isn't responsive. it's sad but it seems that the earlier generation of OSx86 crackers vanished part way through leopard :rolleyes: remember these? DiaboliK, Sonotone, JaS, Kalyway.

I've added links to my guide that if you know which ones you need anyone that can run vanilla should be able to boot the dvd, unfortunately i don't know which ones solve what issues.

That is sad : ( I remember those guys, and how I tried to get JaS 10.4.8 to work on my old Gateway Profile 4 All-in-one without any success. That was back when I was maybe 12 years old, right around the time I had just built my first computer. I'm 16 now, and have learned A HELL OF A LOT in those 4 years about OS X lol.

Anyways, I put a reference at the bottom of my guide to yours, suggesting people to try it out if they have a very different mobo that doesn't seem to work with this guide. As far as Gigabyte mobos go however, I think the specialization really helps!

That's interesting... I will have to look into that one, but don't give up yet. It could possibly be caused by a 3rd party menu bar (at the top) item. Have you installed any of these?

Thanks for the help d00m42! I followed your directions so there is nothing else installed yet. After the welcome screen on the first boot and everytime I boot into it it comes up with that error 10 to 15 seconds in, not even allowing me enough time to do the next step to fix the mdmworker problem... One time I even got a weird iCal Helper error..

Don't worry, I don't give up that easy!!

Well,

This has been a great how-to and the instructions are very good by d00m42 ;)

I have a complete system that functions with everything working, but it is just to unstable to really be of use for me personally at the moment.

I have complete random freezes and the the grey screen of death.. It happens in both -x32 or -x64, complete random times. I have not found a solution as of yet and just think with all the KP's and such many users are experiencing and freezing etc that really we just need a little more time on the SL front before this can be a usable os on the EP45-UD3R board as a source of our issues has yet to be determined..

Not saying it is just limited to our board, but seems to be many people having similar issues.

Pretty odd, as it can sit for hours on the web, sleep / wake up flawlessly and then something as simple as .dmg / zip files mounting / disk repair commands etc..or transferring data just crashes osx.

In any case, I am pulling the plug on my SL drive right now till the OSX86 community has had time to take it all in and more in dept knowledge of our kexts / DSDT methods being used.

I am sure this will fixed really fast as it was back in Leopard :rolleyes:

Cheers, I will be visiting and reading up on the thread

Dude, the worst thing you could do right now would be to unplug the drive... Post screenshots of as many KPs as you can so we can try to figure out how to fix them! I know the only random KPs I used to get had to do with mds and mdworker, which were from Spotlight. If you haven't fixed that then it's an easy fix. I have had zero problems with my EP45-UD3R. There is the Software Update KP that's still being worked out, but I wouldn't give up so fast.

Thanks for the help d00m42! I followed your directions so there is nothing else installed yet. After the welcome screen on the first boot and everytime I boot into it it comes up with that error 10 to 15 seconds in, not even allowing me enough time to do the next step to fix the mdmworker problem... One time I even got a weird iCal Helper error..

Don't worry, I don't give up that easy!!

Hmm... Describe your system again?

Okay, so the only thing I'm stuck on now is rebuilding the kextcache. I did "sudo touch /Volumes/MyDrive/Extra/Extensions" and "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" and those don't seem to work.

Is there another rebuild process?

Yes, you have to do:

sudo rm /Volumes/MyDrive/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /Volumes/MyDrive/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Deleting the kextcache should promt the computer to create a new one on reboot. You can use "touch" after deleting the caches that way, but I'm pretty sure all you have to do is reboot (with -v -x32) after deleting the caches.

Yes, you have to do:

Deleting the kextcache should promt the computer to create a new one on reboot. You can use "touch" after deleting the caches that way, but I'm pretty sure all you have to do is reboot (with -v -x32) after deleting the caches.

Use this program, it does it for you

Kext_Utility.zip

I added a link to your guide d00m42

@d00m42

Not giving up, just waiting a tad.

I have been doing osx86 since 10.4 and love it

My problem is I get no KP on screen, just slow video draw as the screen presents the "GSOD" you must press restart screen.

I have scoured console logs etc but it never states panic, just one minute it works.. and the gsod..no log entry until reboot

BUT, on another note... I think i may have stumbled on something to due with using the RealtekR100.kext

1. Reports are that the kext is for x32 only

2. If using DSDT with lan added, you don't need the kext

3. I have seen some random errors in the loading of that .kext

I am gonna play with it a tad more, and will remove that RealtekR1000 kext and report back..

Yes, you have to do:

Weird. I don't have those files to delete. They're not present on my 10.6 volume.

I have that included in my SL Pack, but he's talking about Single User Mode I believe.

OMG WE HAVE A THINKER ON OUR HANDS! thank you thrace for trying to fix it yourself,

Weird. I don't have those files to delete. They're not present on my 10.6 volume.

oh thats because they moved the location of the kext cache. just do

sudo rm -Rfd /System/Library/Caches

and you should be good.

@d00m42

Not giving up, just waiting a tad.

I have been doing osx86 since 10.4 and love it

My problem is I get no KP on screen, just slow video draw as the screen presents the "GSOD" you must press restart screen.

I have scoured console logs etc but it never states panic, just one minute it works.. and the gsod..no log entry until reboot

BUT, on another note... I think i may have stumbled on something to due with using the RealtekR100.kext

1. Reports are that the kext is for x32 only

2. If using DSDT with lan added, you don't need the kext

3. I have seen some random errors in the loading of that .kext

I am gonna play with it a tad more, and will remove that RealtekR1000 kext and report back..

I happen to be using RealtekR1000.kext, but I might try to remove it and see what happens as well. With DSDT it SHOULDN'T be needed, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems for me. Yes, however, it is ONLY for x86

Thrace, let me know what happens. And noob766, no need for sarcasm -.-

Okay, so when I deleted my cache and rebooted, -v -x32 didn't work and it hung around something USB related. So I restarted again, and did -v -f -x32 and I'm back in.

I'm going to un-privatize my drives and see what happens.

I happen to be using RealtekR1000.kext, but I might try to remove it and see what happens as well. With DSDT it SHOULDN'T be needed, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems for me. Yes, however, it is ONLY for x86

Thrace, let me know what happens. And noob766, no need for sarcasm -.-

:) I don't know what you are talking about...

Okay, so when I deleted my cache and rebooted, -v -x32 didn't work and it hung around something USB related. So I restarted again, and did -v -f -x32 and I'm back in.

I'm going to un-privatize my drives and see what happens.

Run kext utility so it doesn't happen again

:) I don't know what you are talking about...

W/e...

@Thrace, -f ignores kextcaches lol, so try to not use it next time and see if you can get in. Test the spotlight by just removing 1 drive from the Private list and typing in something in the Spotlight box and it should start to index.

Run kext utility so it doesn't happen again

Yep, let kext utility do its thing so you don't have to worry about using -f again

W/e...

@Thrace, -f ignores kextcaches lol, so try to not use it next time and see if you can get in. Test the spotlight by just removing 1 drive from the Private list and typing in something in the Spotlight box and it should start to index.

Yep, let kext utility do its thing so you don't have to worry about using -f again

chill man this is a community not a competition. we are here to help solve peoples problems.