dual core

dilnalomo

49 posts in this topic

i read in some threads that people had to diable dual core in bios to get dual boot, what's that about?

I think that was for AMD only dual core processors. But even with AMD, there have been ways to make both cores work.

duo core users have to disable one in the bios or osx86 wont work

the kernel used in the hacked versions is too old

dual core users are fine though

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>platform=X86PC cpus=1 idlehalt=0 fn=3 -v</string>

that fixes it, I install with one cpu disabled, I modify this file, then I can re-enable the other core, that way dual booting into xp is dual, and osx86 is solo core

I'am using a Acer Travelmate 8200 , it has da Intel Core Duo Processor . installed a patched 10.4.4 and a 10.4.3 without problems. At least not with the processor. And there are not entrys in the boot.info to disable one core, i checked this. So if it is not disabled elsewhere by the patch, it should work ok.

correct, the mobile cpu centrinio core duo does not work for most people with osx86

the desktop dual core does work fine for most, including myself, same hard drive, in the desktop works, in the laptop does not, crash on boot with error on the core duo, on 10.4.5 I can boot, but it'll freeze every 10 seconds, it's a known bug with the mobile cpu and the kernel we are stuck using

• 3 weeks later...

It's true that it's counterintuitive. Same CPU, sameish motherboard. Most likely the APIC controller in the macbook/pro is different in some way that in standard 479 (I think Core Duo uses 479) motherboards.

It's true that it's counterintuitive. Same CPU, sameish motherboard. Most likely the APIC controller in the macbook/pro is different in some way that in standard 479 (I think Core Duo uses 479) motherboards.

I have a core duo laptop (using the intel 945 chipset -- same as macbook) and both cores work fine, out of the box.

• 2 weeks later...

just to inform all of you and gwprod12 first.

what he is not alone with D805 have problem with dual core.

today i SUDDENLY CAUGHT the STUTTER effect.

just use my DC client as always and typing ... typing.. and nothing appears.. after 1-2 seconds letters which i typing appear...

after that finder start to stuttering... move window... nothing.. wait 1-2 sec and it's apper in any place suddely... after that i have some crashes with VLC... etc.. etc....

i don't have idea why....just work as alway and ooops... start to stutterng...

i have disabled one core too.... and now it works fine.. but... i wish to get both cores working... it's not interesting to have a Dual Core CPU and use only one...

• 3 weeks later...
So do I with my FE Vaio . So I should be fine heh ?

I think you should be fine, but judging from the other responses in this thread, having close-to-macbook specs may not be enough to guarantee that both cores work.

I think you should be fine, but judging from the other responses in this thread, having close-to-macbook specs may not be enough to guarantee that both cores work.

So what dictates if it works or not ? I mean the guy I quoted has the 945 chipset , as do I . So it should work . Unless it some weird juju .