Any Success on an Asus P5B?

RWE

61 posts in this topic

My conf is:

Asus P5B (P965)

Core2Duo

Nvidia 9500GT 512MB

4 GB DDR2

500 GB (10.5.8) / 250 GB (10a432) (All SATA)

Somehow i installed it on a separate disk, but can't boot into. Everytime i get an "still waiting for root device" error.

If you had success, which bootloader & kexts did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Still waiting for root device can be for a number of reasons. Check your bios to determine the SATA mode. You might need to change it to AHCI or RAID to get past that message. Otherwise find out what disk and partition OSX is and try booting with rd=disk1s2 for example if your leopard is in disk 1 partition 2. Or UUID.

Still waiting for root device appeared for me when i didn't install a chipset driver on Leopard (i have an Asus P5B too).

I created another post regarding this motherboard. I (still) want to know if i can upgrade my current Leopard 10.5.8 install to SL 10A432 without installing on another disk.

@Elad Nava: Thanks for your recommendations but i tried a lot of combinations (ide, ahci, chameleon 1, chameleon 2, etc., etc.) Still i had no success.

@killersilver: that's the point i don't understand. i installed a chipset driver but no chance. actually, the last time i've seen this error, there was 10.5.1 or .2.

and i don't think you can directly upgrade :unsure:

Hi RWE!

I have a P5B Deluxe and my SL works. I installed it from a working Leopard directly with the OSinstall.mpkg to the new partition on a GPT-Disk.

For bootloader i have this: Chameleon 2 RC1 + PC_EFI_10.1.

Important is the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in the /Extra folder, without i had no chance. I also have DSDT.aml and fakesmc.kext, other Extensions weren't necessery for me.

But at first you have to create the Extensions.mkext in /Extra and /S/L/ with KextHelper 2.3.0 (2.3.2 didn't work for me) from Leopard and then the first time boot SL with -x32 in 32Bit mode.

F-Didi

I have a P5B-VM SE and I haven't had any luck yet (started last night). Unfortunately my P5B VM (uATX) doesn't support AHCI.. I have tried swapping IOATAFamily's stock AppleIntelPIIXATA with the new Netkas plugin/kext but still hangs at waiting for root device.

Keep in mind 10.5.8's stock IOATA family of kexts also do not boot and hang waiting for root dev - the workaround is to use older and/or patched ICH9 kexts - so this doesn't really come as a surprise however I am looking forward to resolving the issue with SL!

Everything works on my P5B Vanilla. I did clean install to another drive. I had to move extensions from /Extras to /S/L/E and fix the permissions. I am using following extensions:

VodooHDA, OpenRestartShutdown, SleepEnabler, fakesmc(get latest from netkas) dmos(get latest from netkas). Mine is booting in x64 and is very stable with sleep, shutdown & restart working.

- I used the Chameleon RC1 + PCEFI 10.1 installer after the install via OSInstall.mpkg method

- Drop the above mentioned extensions and fix permissions using the Chmod & chown commands.

- I had issue with Disk utility verify disk after the install. It was throwing up KPs.

After I booted into SL for the first time. I did a reinstall over the current install using the Retail DVD and reinstall BSD.pkg. since then everything is fine and stable. Disk Utility works as well.

Good Luck!

Hi, AndreaGalileo,

for sound look at this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1239137

Thanks but this kext only work in 32bit :(

EDIT: My front panel USB doesn't work; only if the USB device is plugged-in at boot. Is there a 64bit solution? Thanks.

EDIT2: Still missing ethernet.

EDIT2: Stupid question: Where are the kext cache located in SL? How do you delete all the kext caches?

Thanks but this kext only work in 32bit :(

EDIT: My front panel USB doesn't work; only if the USB device is plugged-in at boot. Is there a 64bit solution? Thanks.

EDIT2: Still missing ethernet.

EDIT2: Stupid question: Where are the kext cache located in SL?

I had the same problem with 64bit at first. But now, sound works in 64bit. I have Chameleon 2.0 RC2 r640 with PC_EFI 10.1, dsmos.kext from netkas, AHCI on and a dsdt.aml, the VoodooHDA.kext is version 0.2.2 and it's in /S/L/E, not in /Extra.

My front USB panel works, not only if device is plugged in at boot.

Ethernet i don't need, but with the patched AppleYukon2.kext inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext the Marvell 88E8056 works.

The kext cache is in /S/L/E like in Leopard, but after install you have to create it manually, i take for this KextUtility 2.3.0 (not 2.3.2!).

I had the same problem with 64bit at first. But now, sound works in 64bit. I have Chameleon 2.0 RC2 r640 with PC_EFI 10.1, dsmos.kext from netkas, AHCI on and a dsdt.aml, the VoodooHDA.kext is version 0.2.2 and it's in /S/L/E, not in /Extra.

My front USB panel works, not only if device is plugged in at boot.

Ethernet i don't need, but with the patched AppleYukon2.kext inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext the Marvell 88E8056 works.

The kext cache is in /S/L/E like in Leopard, but after install you have to create it manually, i take for this KextUtility 2.3.0 (not 2.3.2!).

The kext cache is not in /S/L/E but in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

:(

Works on my P5B-E Plus.

Of course you need SATA in AHCI mode, and better deactivate the dreaded Jmicron IDE controller in BIOS.

I used my existing Leopard installation and installed SL from the retail disc to an empty hard drive (GUID).

Used Chameleon RC1 + PC-EFI 10.1 to boot

Sound works with VoodooHDA

Sleep, Restart, Shutdown works (OpenHaltRestart.kext)

Had to patch my DSDT with fassl's automatic patcher, otherwise my 8800gts wouldn't work with QE/CI (you also need EFI strings).

Everything works now in both 32bit and 64bit mode :)

I can post a list of kexts I used when I get home from work.

Hi Brewers,

Can you install the Chameleon/EFI 10 to a seperate partition on the hard drive you install SL to? Or does it have to go on the same partition? I have my Leopard 10.5.8 on a drive with Chameleon RC2 on a seperate partition and that works really well for me. It'd be good to be able to do the same with SL. I have loads of Sata drives kicking about so no shortage of space!

Thanks in advance......

Works on my P5B-E Plus.

Of course you need SATA in AHCI mode, and better deactivate the dreaded Jmicron IDE controller in BIOS.

I used my existing Leopard installation and installed SL from the retail disc to an empty hard drive (GUID).

Used Chameleon RC1 + PC-EFI 10.1 to boot

Sound works with VoodooHDA

Sleep, Restart, Shutdown works (OpenHaltRestart.kext)

Had to patch my DSDT with fassl's automatic patcher, otherwise my 8800gts wouldn't work with QE/CI (you also need EFI strings).

Everything works now in both 32bit and 64bit mode :(

I can post a list of kexts I used when I get home from work.

Hi Brewers,

Can you install the Chameleon/EFI 10 to a seperate partition on the hard drive you install SL to? Or does it have to go on the same partition? I have my Leopard 10.5.8 on a drive with Chameleon RC2 on a seperate partition and that works really well for me. It'd be good to be able to do the same with SL. I have loads of Sata drives kicking about so no shortage of space!

Thanks in advance......

I can't say for sure, since I installed it on my SL partition. But since you can select to boot other partitions from the Chameleon GUI, it might work when installed on a separate partition. Why not just give it a try? :thumbsup_anim:

Any one has a 64bit solution for audio? VoodooHDA seems not to work in 64bit. Can someone confirm that! Thanks.

Works for me in 64bit mode, just download the newest release from the VoodooHDA homepage. You have to install it to /System/Library/Extensions, tough. It did not work for me when installed in /Extra, it would abort with an error message saying that not all dependencies could be satisfied.

EDIT: I had to delete all other audio-related kexts for VoodooHDA to work, like AppleHDA, etc.

I can't say for sure, since I installed it on my SL partition. But since you can select to boot other partitions from the Chameleon GUI, it might work when installed on a separate partition. Why not just give it a try? :)

Works for me in 64bit mode, just download the newest release from the VoodooHDA homepage. You have to install it to /System/Library/Extensions, tough. It did not work for me when installed in /Extra, it would abort with an error message saying that not all dependencies could be satisfied.

EDIT: I had to delete all other audio-related kexts for VoodooHDA to work, like AppleHDA, etc.

Hmmm, strange, it was in /S/L/E. I haven't tried to delete AppleHDA (in which kext package is it located?). What do you mean by "etc"; what other kext should i delete? Thanks a lot!

Hmmm, strange, it was in /S/L/E. I haven't tried to delete AppleHDA (in which kext package is it located?). What do you mean by "etc"; what other kext should i delete? Thanks a lot!

i have an asus p5b deluxe running 10.5.7 ideneb cd. im thinking of installing SL and just want to see if anyone has taken the same steps as me and could share some tips?

Hi guys!

Would anyone be so kind to upload a package with those kexts needed for a P5B Deluxe installation with nVidia 9800gt on 32bit kernel?

That would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance.

These should work:

kexts.png

Put them in Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions directory.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KFZF8L0R

I use these with a P5B-E Plus, but they should work with your board, too.

Don't forget to change the UUID to that of your SL partition in the Info.plist in PlatformUUID.kext