VMware SVGA II display driver for Leopard v1.0.1 alpha release

20 posts in this topic

I'm working on adding 2D acceleration to the driver introduced here. This is an initial release that supports the following features

1. Accurate framebuffer updates and FIFO synchronization based on notifications sent down from the Window Server via Apple's GA interface. This mechanism is more efficient than and replaces the refresh timer from version 1.0.0. It also replaces the tracing capability (SVGA_CAP_TRACES) used by VMware on Fusion hosts.
  2. Supports intra-framebuffer copy-region blits that helps moving windows around.

The driver version has been bumped to 1.0.1. The reason I've decided to make an alpha release for the 2D acceleration is because

• Feature (1) above significantly reduces the load that the driver puts on the CPU compared to version 1.0.0.
  • I'm working on adding YUV copy-blits for video acceleration support, but this will require considerably more work, so I decided not to delay releasing the features above until the additional work is done.

Attached is an installation package with the following options

• Install the display driver v1.0.1. It now has 3 components - VMsvga2.kext, VMsvga2Accel.kext and VMsvga2GA.plugin.
  • Custom install option to install the VMMouse.kext plugin driver for ApplePS2Controller.kext.
  • Custom install option to install the VMMouse.kext plugin driver for VoodooPS2Controller.kext.
  • Custom install option to overwrite vmware-tools-guestd from Darwin ISO Tools (2.0.5) with a version that supports fit-guest with this display driver (in place of the original which uses VMwareIOFramebuffer.kext).

EDIT [8/21/2009]: Uploaded mkpg that fixes permissions problem with VMMouse for VoodooPS2Controller.

Credits:

In addition to the credits for version 1.0.0, which appear in the linked thread, much of the acceleration support is derived from a partial decoding of Apple's GeForce accelerator drivers.

Edit: (11/8/2009) Attachments removed. See this link for the latest version.

Old Download Counts:

VMsvga2.mkpg.tar.gz - 281 downloads

VMsvga2_Src.tar.gz - 59 downloads

Attached is an installation package with the following options
  • Install the display driver v1.0.1. It now has 3 components - VMsvga2.kext, VMsvga2Accel.kext and VMsvga2GA.plugin.
  • Custom install option to install the VMMouse.kext plugin driver for ApplePS2Controller.kext.
  • Custom install option to install the VMMouse.kext plugin driver for VoodooPS2Controller.kext.
  • Custom install option to overwrite vmware-tools-guestd from Darwin ISO Tools (2.0.5) with a version that supports fit-guest with this display driver (in place of the original which uses VMwareIOFramebuffer.kext).

incredible. thanks for your work on this. My osx 10.5.8 runs better and better. thank you so much. Receiving an error message that vmware mouse in voodoops2controller is not installed correctly and cannot be used. Permissions maybe? will try again....

Wow ! - my virtual MacOS Leopard 10.5.6 now has multiple resolutions and i am now using it in 1680x1050 glory on my Windows 7 64bit host using VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 !

Awesome job Zenith432 !!! :P

Issues I have though :

a) It didnt install the Auto-Fit Guest support on the first default install (not sure if it was meant to) so i ran the installer again and hit Customize and turned on the feature but it doesnt seen to work after a reboot (i had previously installed Donk's vmware tools for darwin).

:D Not related to this SVGA driver, but i will meantion it anyway. My mouse and keyboard (not all keys) lock up but the guest OS is still running.

c) System Profiler says that Quartz is supported but how do i tell if its running ?

d) My VM locks up (Kernel Panic i think) after it is left idle for a while. I have turned off display and system sleep from System Preferences

Johno!

Sony VGN TT15GN Red 4GB

Wow ! - my virtual MacOS Leopard 10.5.6 now has multiple resolutions and i am now using it in 1680x1050 glory on my Windows 7 64bit host using VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 !

Awesome job Zenith432 !!! :D

Issues I have though :

a) It didnt install the Auto-Fit Guest support on the first default install (not sure if it was meant to) so i ran the installer again and hit Customize and turned on the feature but it doesnt seen to work after a reboot (i had previously installed Donk's vmware tools for darwin).

;) Not related to this SVGA driver, but i will meantion it anyway. My mouse and keyboard (not all keys) lock up but the guest OS is still running.

c) System Profiler says that Quartz is supported but how do i tell if its running ?

d) My VM locks up (Kernel Panic i think) after it is left idle for a while. I have turned off display and system sleep from System Preferences

Johno!

Sony VGN TT15GN Red 4GB

make sure you have "autofit guest" checked under vmware view menu. Some of your problems sound like related to speedstep. try to disable it and see if this helps. you may be able to fix this with adding these lines to your vmware config file:

host.cpukHz = "2660000"
host.noTSC = "TRUE"
ptsc.noTSC = "TRUE"

under C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation

you need to add your own actual CPU speed in the first line.

incredible. thanks for your work on this. My osx 10.5.8 runs better and better. thank you so much. Receiving an error message that vmware mouse in voodoops2controller is not installed correctly and cannot be used. Permissions maybe? will try again....

You're right, there was a problem in the permissions set on VMMouse.kext under VoodooPS2Controller.kext. You know what's strange? I noticed this problem before uploading, and I fixed it, but PackageMaker reverted by itself to the incorrect permissions!!! So now I fix it again and PackageMaker reverts by itself to the incorrect permissions again!!! So finally I edited the project's xml file manually and fixed the permissions. I uploaded a corrected version.

If you've already installed VMMouse.kext, you can fix the problem manually from a terminal as follows

TARG=/System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.ext/Contents/Plugins/VMMouse.kext
sudo chmod -R g-w $TARG
sudo chown -R 0:0 $TARG
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
# reboot

Check to see if the file

/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/vmware-tools-guestd

is identical to the one attached in post #3 in this thread.

It's the same one installed by the installer. If it's not, reinstall it. If fit-guest still doesn't work, you may need to reinstall darwin.iso tools, and then overwrite this file again. I'm using the tools from Fusion 2.0.5, so I'm not sure about other versions.

;) Not related to this SVGA driver, but i will meantion it anyway. My mouse and keyboard (not all keys) lock up but the guest OS is still running.
Don't know about that, but if you have ApplePS2Controller.kext or VoodooPS2Controller.kext, try installing the VMMouse plugin for them with the installer. Your problem may not be related though.

Well, that's news to me because my System Profiler says Quartz Extreme is Not Supported.

Edit: I checked, and Quartz Extreme requires an OpenGL driver for the display adapter, so that's not going to be available anytime soon. If you want to know whether the 2D accelerator is working, type "ioreg | grep VMsvga22DContext" from a Terminal. If it shows up, the 2D accelerator is working.

PS: Here's a quotation from an Apple document named OSX_Technology_Overview.pdf: "Quartz Extreme uses OpenGL to draw the entire Mac OS X desktop. Graphics calls render in supported video hardware, freeing up the CPU for other tasks."

Yes, I have computer & display sleep turned off in "Energy Saver" too. I haven't paid any attention to supporting sleep mode in the display driver, so it may not work. I think the VM locks up because of a different driver, not the display driver. I don't really see a need for supporting sleep in a VM other than making it not lock up, since it's the host that should be in charge of powering down the hardware.

You're right, there was a problem in the permissions set on VMMouse.kext under VoodooPS2Controller.kext. You know

Edit: I checked, and Quartz Extreme requires an OpenGL driver for the display adapter, so that's not going to be available anytime soon. If you want to know whether the 2D accelerator is working, type "ioreg|grep VMsvga22DContext" from the command line. If it shows up, the 2D accelerator is working.

thanks, since I really don't have problems with my mouse I probably shouldn't even try ;)

as for the qe, I was surprised too. I can enable quartz gl, but qe is still not supported and I guess that's what I should expect.( I enabled quartz gl via osx86tools and I am not sure if it's not just displaying it and may not even work).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks very much for your effort

i have some questions

1 - if you will devolpe it to become having 3d accecrlation to give mac more goob look :)

2 - i known it isnot the place but i want to ask you if you can devolpe a driver for bulid in card ati hd3300

many people ask for this driver

it is beutiful if you interest on this subject

thanks very much Zenith432 :D

wooohoooohooo, many thanks for this great contribution !! :(

Do you know if it's possible to push to 2560x1600 resolution ?

Using the auto-fit and the "quick switch" vmware option I'm already getting 2560x1576, but just after boot this resolution would not appear in the "display" osx panel.

Any clue ?

Thanks again ! this rocks.

The project is on sourcefourge now at

VMsvga2 Link so you can get the installation package from there, as well as the sources.

I've had the video overlay working under QuickTime/iTunes since the end of August, but I've been slacking off in finishing off a version. The driver is fairly stable in its present condition, and I use it regulary. Anyone who knows how to compile drivers with XCode and deploy them can get the latest sources from here.

There's an optional mode for rendering the desktop via Direct3D instead of GDI with a Darwin boot option "-svga3d". I still need to do some testing about the effect of resolution changes to parts of the accelerator, and write some documentation, and I'll make an official release of it.

Edit: I tested, and neither 2560x1600 nor 2560x1576 resolutions work on Workstation 6.5.3. The window is all garbled. The SVGA device has a couple of registers that report the Max Width & Max Height. They're reported as 2360/1770 on Wk 6.5.3. I guess other VMware hosts may support the higher resolutions. The Linux driver supports the 2560x... modes but trims its mode list based on MAX_WIDTH & MAX_HEIGHT. So I need to modify the driver to trim modes based on the reported maximums before I can support higher modes safely. If I have time I'll try and get this in.

Works now, thanks.

I think the problem was that I've downloaded that on windows and opened it on the VM. Now I've downloaded it directly in the VM and it worked perfectly. thanks!

thought it would solve the vram problem also, but it didn't.

• 4 weeks later...
The project is on sourcefourge now at

VMsvga2 Link so you can get the installation package from there, as well as the sources.

Greetings Zenith432, and thank you for your work.

I have installed your latest driver on the following platform:

- Workstation 7.0 RC

- Snow Leopard 10.6.1 (as per DONK's method.)

The acceleration is significant BUT automatic switching of resolution isn't working. I have tried all the "autofit" combinations.

Any suggestions?

Driver used : VMsvga2_1.1.1_for_SnowLeopard.mpkg.tar.gz

------

PS: Version 1.0.1 of your driver, running on Workstation 6.5.3 and Leopard 10.5.x, on the same computer, didn't have this problem.

Greetings Zenith432, and thank you for your work.

I have installed your latest driver on the following platform:

- Workstation 7.0 RC

- Snow Leopard 10.6.1 (as per DONK's method.)

The acceleration is significant BUT automatic switching of resolution isn't working. I have tried all the "autofit" combinations.

Any suggestions?

Driver used : VMsvga2_1.1.1_for_SnowLeopard.mpkg.tar.gz

------

PS: Version 1.0.1 of your driver, running on Workstation 6.5.3 and Leopard 10.5.x, on the same computer, didn't have this problem.

Just installed the newest VMsvga2_1.1.1_for_SnowLeopard. It seems snappier. moving windows seems less lagging. Maybe just my imagination :thumbsup_anim: works great. rlsx, resolution switching is still working on mine. Must be related to your vmware-tools-guestd?

rlsx, resolution switching is still working on mine. Must be related to your vmware-tools-guestd?

Resolution switching is working OK for me. What is not working is the automatic switching when resizing the VMware window or when going full screen.

The VMware tools I am using are the ones provided by Donk, on his vmware-darwin-snowy.zip http://drop.io/donk29a

What's strange is that automatic resolution switching works fine on Workstation 7.0, with the standard driver, it just doesn't work with the VMsvga2 driver.

My host system is Windows 7 x64.

Resolution switching is working OK for me. What is not working is the automatic switching when resizing the VMware window or when going full screen.

The VMware tools I am using are the ones provided by Donk, on his vmware-darwin-snowy.zip http://drop.io/donk29a

What's strange is that automatic resolution switching works fine on Workstation 7.0, with the standard driver, it just doesn't work with the VMsvga2 driver.

My host system is Windows 7 x64.

sorry, that's what I meant. it automatically switches resolution. new driver, win7 64 bit and workstation 7