"unable to mount" error after installing 10.5.7

Jenn

2 posts in this topic

Hello, and thank you to anyone who takes the time to read my post and offer any suggestions. I know this board and others get bombarded routinely with questions. For that reason I have been reluctant to ask for help. But for the past five days I have gotten nowhere with installing OSx86 10.5.7 on my desktop computer.

Before I go any further, here are the specifications of my desktop computer (I have a laptop as well, but until I receive the additional hard drive I ordered for it I will not attempt to install anything on it!), which is an HP a867c:

Disk drives:

WDC WD2500JD-22HBB0 ATA 250GB (2)

Display:

Radeon X550 (17" LCD monitor)

DVD/CD-ROM drives:

HP DVD Writer 640b ATA

IDE-DVD ROM 6116 ATA

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:

ATA Channel 0

ATA Channel 1

Intel 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651

IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers:

VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

Network adapters:

Realtek RTL8139/810x NIC

Processor:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.4GHz

The freeware program CPU-Z also provided this information:

Processor:
Intel Pentium 4 550, 3.40GHz.

MMX, SSE, SSE2 and SSE3

1 core, 2 threads

Mainboard:
ASUSTeK Computer INC. Model: Grouper

BIOS:
American Megatrends Inc. Version: 3.28

Graphic Interface:
PCI-Express

Memory:
Single channel 2GB

Graphics:
Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series

What I have been attempting to do is install OSx86 10.5.7 on my desktop's second hard drive. I have tried with two different distributions -- iATKOS v7 and iDeneb 1.5.1. Each distribution was downloaded via torrent, and burned at 2x speed to a blank DVD-R, using Nero 8.

The installation process itself works fine. I pop the burned DVD into my computer's DVD-ROM drive, restart, and the installation loads right up. Using Disk Utility I erase and reformat the second hard drive using Mac OS Journaled (Extended), and name it OSX. I then proceed with the installation.

The problem occurs when the installation presumably finishes, and prompts me to restart. Upon restarting, I am presented with a gray screen that features the Mac Apple in the center, and the spinning circle beneath it. This goes on indefinitely -- nothing happens, the screen doesn't go away.

When I try to start using safe mode (-x, correct?), I get the following after a screen or two worth of text that depicts loaded files and kernels and such:

localhost kextd[47]: can't add repository (not a directory)

Resetting IOCatalogue.

localhost kextd[47]: root filesystem is read-only; skipping kernel link data generation

localhost diskarbitrationd[44]: CoreRAIDServer [43]:18691 not responding

localhost diskarbitrationd[44]: unable to mount /dv/disk0s1 (status code 0x00000047)

I have searched Google and various other message boards and have tried everything that I can think of so far, including using GParted to format the drive, trying the first drive instead, changing my BIOS settings so that the hard drive emulator is SATA, PATA or BOTH, and most recently, tried setting the hardware configuration to Combined instead of Enhanced (my apologies if I'm being rather vague or simplistic with these terms -- I'm not very familiar with working within the BIOS!).

I have also tried installing 10.5.7 from the DVD-Writer drive, as opposed to the DVD-ROM drive, but the results were the same.

For what it's worth, I get the same result whether I do a plain as-is install, or if I choose the Vanilla kernel (something that I saw recommended on a message board).

Interestingly enough, Kalyway's 10.5.2 will successfully install and run on my desktop. However, I have not been able to successfully upgrade it to 10.5.7, or even 10.5.6. The furthest I have gotten is 10.5.4.

If anyone might have some suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate them. Again, I would like to emphasize that I have been researching this problem to the best of my ability -- I have spent several days trying to get this to work. I'm turning to forum support now only because I don't know what else to do.

Thank you! :)

You seem to have done the usual suggestions already (BIOS settings, etc). "CoreRAIDServer not responding" means (in layman's terms) that it cannot properly interact with your SATA/IDE controller due to an incompatible kext. The solution to this is either:

1) Find a kext that supports your ASUS motherboard and inject it into your ISO using either a PPF patch (easiest) or manually using Transmac and Terminal (advanced), or

2) Find a distribution that will support your hardware out of the box (iPC is usually a good choice). Make sure the DVD actually USES the kext you need during boot and doesnt just give you the option of installing it post-DVD boot. Obviously, you wont get anywhere if you cannot use the kext you need beforehand. You can refer here for more info about iPC 10.5.6.