Share my servers 9.04(Jaunty) Screen to OSX?

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys...

Long story short, i have a linux mirror, connected to my home network, and cannot share its screen to my other machines, but can view other screens on it... Ideas?

The full version with detail:

I have a file/download/ftp/mirror server running Ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty) and I am trying to get it to share its screen with my hack, mac and Win machines.... As i don't actually need a screen for its use, (just basic occasional GUI useage) i would like to cut down on power, etc, by removing its screen and sharing it to another machine...

My house is wired with CAT6, and everything feeds into a 32port switch (managed), then directed to my modem (Dynalink 1025W). There is some port forwarding, however i tried to keep the range of 80 - 2000 open for the network, leaving out 1031 and 22222 for the linux's internet activity...

I have tried the Screensharing under prefs in Linux, but cannot access them on other computers... If i share my hack or macs screen, they can be viewed and maniputlated from the linux machine, but not the other way around. The same goes for file sharing.

I have tried basic VNC and SSH settings...

This leads me to think it may be a firewall issue, however, the linux's firewall can be turned off and no effect is made!!!

I am tearing my head out, so if anyone knows any programs, web sites, or commands to fix this, it would be much appreciated!

And if you read this you deserve a COKE!

No Machine NX is the way to go...

I'm in the same position, i have a ZOTAC ION Motherboard where i run xbmc connected to my flat-tv.

To reach the screen from my mac i installed the free Version of No Machine NX on jaunty (sever, client and node) you also have to install openssh-server. Nothing more needed then these three (and a nx-client on the mac-side, of course). Runs absolutely brilliant for me.

Screen-Sharing with vino on jaunty (and screen-sharing-client on the mac) works also, but not reliably, so i turned it off and switched to nomachine :)

Download the Deb-Packages here

Hi guys...

Long story short, i have a linux mirror, connected to my home network, and cannot share its screen to my other machines, but can view other screens on it... Ideas?

The full version with detail:

I have a file/download/ftp/mirror server running Ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty) and I am trying to get it to share its screen with my hack, mac and Win machines.... As i don't actually need a screen for its use, (just basic occasional GUI useage) i would like to cut down on power, etc, by removing its screen and sharing it to another machine...

My house is wired with CAT6, and everything feeds into a 32port switch (managed), then directed to my modem (Dynalink 1025W). There is some port forwarding, however i tried to keep the range of 80 - 2000 open for the network, leaving out 1031 and 22222 for the linux's internet activity...

I have tried the Screensharing under prefs in Linux, but cannot access them on other computers... If i share my hack or macs screen, they can be viewed and maniputlated from the linux machine, but not the other way around. The same goes for file sharing.

I have tried basic VNC and SSH settings...

This leads me to think it may be a firewall issue, however, the linux's firewall can be turned off and no effect is made!!!

I am tearing my head out, so if anyone knows any programs, web sites, or commands to fix this, it would be much appreciated!

And if you read this you deserve a COKE!