Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tackle

Graphic card for dual display output?

4 posts in this topic

I'm building a hackintosh for audio production use.

I'm trying to find a GPU that has working dual display output under OSX, PCI-E connectivity of course.

Is this even possible? I haven't read about any specific one that works.

The GPU would have to be quite low-power, as it is not meant to do any graphic work other than representing the GUI of the OS and Audio software.

And good recommendations?

Advertisement

Any nVidia card will do, for example the 9400GT would be way enough. At a low price 9500GT could be nice too, while the 9600GT would be overkill.

Good luck with the build!

Most supported cards with dual outputs will work with dual monitors. The main thing is, dual DVI vs. DVI +VGA.

If you're fine with one DVI monitor, and one VGA monitor, then just about any cheap card that's fully Mac-compatible will work. (By compatible, I mean fully Core Image/Quartz Extreme compatible- because even for audio you cannot install and use some apps like Logic without this, so keep that in mind).

For DVI +VGA, you could go with a cheap nvidia 7200GS, or a (much more powerful) 7300GT, 8400GT, 9400GT, 9500GT, etc.

If you want dual DVI, then I'd recommend at minimum an 8600GTS, or an 8800GT, 9600GT, or up. Dual DVI cards tend to be a bit more expensive- the 8600GTS was the cheapest, and and great bang for the buck, but it goes through phases of being hard to find. Currently I don't see any available on newegg. Also, since many dual DVI cards tend to be toward the higher end, you may be paying a lot for performance you don't need.

If you can deal with DVI + VGA, you'll likely save a lot of money- I use an adapter to VGA with my 9800 card and my second monitor and for most things it's just as sharp as the DVI monitor to my view. Colors and contrasts are better on the DVI monitor for graphics and video, but then, for an audio workstation that makes no difference.

Also, if you want the computer to be quiet, a card with a heatsink rather than a system fan is highly recommended, as some video cards with fans can make a LOT of racket.