Sky broadband and Time Capsule

4 posts in this topic

My Sky ADSL modem router has a fixed username and password created by Sky. Sky will not tell its customers the details. This means that I am stuck using their hardware for internet connection.

I want to buy a Time Capsule so that I can back up all the Macs in my house but how do I connect the time capsule to the internet?

I can disable the Sky router wifi so that the time capsule wifi can be used.

But if I wire the time capsule into the router am I creating a bottleneck?

I'm a little bit stuck any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like the solution is pretty simple. Just connect the Time Capsule to your router with an Ethernet cable and you're done. Don't use the wireless part of the time capsule device, use your existing wireless network and that should be it.

Unless the Time Capsule doesn't have an Ethernet port. But I'm pretty sure it does, so you're all set. I mean, it would be pretty silly if you couldn't back up your desktop Macs.

Sounds like the solution is pretty simple. Just connect the Time Capsule to your router with an Ethernet cable and you're done. Don't use the wireless part of the time capsule device, use your existing wireless network and that should be it.

Unless the Time Capsule doesn't have an Ethernet port. But I'm pretty sure it does, so you're all set. I mean, it would be pretty silly if you couldn't back up your desktop Macs.

I thought that it would work like that but will this mean there is a data bottle next via this connection?

Ohh no, I wouldn't worry about that. The Ethernet connection will be nice and fast, a full duplex 100Mbit connection. The wireless connection will be much slower than that, so you'd never be able to come close to fully utilizing the Ethernet link.

An Ethernet switch (your router) will only add maybe .01 ms or less to response time. The router will simply act as an Ethernet bridge between the wireless network and the wired one. It won't be any worse then any other method of connecting to the time capsule over wireless.