leave Leopard behind and install Snow Leopard?

16 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

To me it seems that Snow Leopard is ready. I was wondering if I could already leave Leopard behind and use the latest build of Snow Leopard as my primary OS. I don't think Apple is going to make any big changes to SL anymore.

I know there are some apps not working on SL now. I thought that when SL comes out, I will have to wait for all the new apps anyway, so why not get ready now?

And when the final release comes out, I will just install it over the beta of SL. How does that sound?

Hello everyone!

To me it seems that Snow Leopard is ready. I was wondering if I could already leave Leopard behind and use the latest build of Snow Leopard as my primary OS. I don't think Apple is going to make any big changes to SL anymore.

I know there are some apps not working on SL now. I thought that when SL comes out, I will have to wait for all the new apps anyway, so why not get ready now?

And when the final release comes out, I will just install it over the beta of SL. How does that sound?

It's not fully functional. Better if you wait a couple of months.

Yeah I thought the same thing, but depending on what you do on your computer it might not be the best decision. Unfortunately, I use apple remote desktop and apple server admin tools constantly, so switching for me didn't last more than a few days. Also, some things with Xcode are spotty (the pre-3.0 sdks, etc) but if everything you use on a daily basis works on snow, then I'd say go for it.

Embrio seems to think that if it's good for him it's good for everyone. The fact is that there are many (and I mean craploads) of apps and drivers that either partially work (in the case of the 9400M video drivers) or not at all.

If it's your main computer and you need it to be TRULY fully functional you can't switch to SL yet. If you don't care if a lot of things don't work (as with Embrio apparently) then go for it.

Thanks for your response, guys.

I have SL installed on an external HD right now, but only on a 10gb partition for testing. It seems to work fine and I also tried to run all the apps from my main OS. I don't have anything to complain about.

However, something that bugs me, is that there does not seem to be any 64-bit Preference Panes, so System Preferences always needs to restart, which is kind of annoying. However, Growl 1.1.5 seems to be working fine. I heard iStat Pro is not working which is too bad but I'll probably survive with their dashboard widget anyways.

So none of you guys are using Snow Leopard on a day to day basis?

Thanks again!

OMG Virginia, look at the FUD!

StormPCs... godamnit. Firstly, I can't tell if your being insulting or just not spelling my name right. Either way - my name is E-M-B-I-O. Unborn human babies are spelt E-M-B-R-Y-O. Now, if we're talking Macs here then that is different to Hacs when it comes to drivers. I have yet to find an application that doesn't work - and I'm including old PPC stuff in that. But I'm not every user, I haven't tried EVERY app, and can't tell you for certain that everything you run on 10.5.7 will run on 10.6 because frankly I don't have that much time ;-).

Likewise, you haven't used my computer (Noobs aren't allowed to anyway...) so you don't know that 'a lot of things don't work' on it. I've had issues with the display not waking from sleep - that was fixed with 10a411. I've also had issues with the display not waking with the rest of the machine - that was fixed with 10a411 (or at least it seems to be). Those are the only problems I've got....

Course, this is a 32bit only machine, so I can't comment for 64bit Macs. I also don't have Snow on my Hac yet, so I can't comment for that. But for me, and what I use this machine for, Snow is stable as 10.5.7 and great. Start up/Shut down is faster, as is sleep/wake. I love Quicktime X and a few other things...

geiman - did you try running Leopard in VMware for your Server Admin Tools and ARD? I know its a little round the houses, but I'm a big fan of virtualisation so that's my immediate response :)

riws - there is a lot more to Snow than it being a re-release of Leopard on 32bit, as you seem to think. Grand Central and OpenCL look amazing and I've been looking forward to these since WWDC08 :) Although I will admit, for some machines like my Eee PC theres not going to be a huge benefit for most people...

OMG Virginia, look at the FUD!

StormPCs... godamnit. Firstly, I can't tell if your being insulting or just not spelling...

That's because you are not even one-tenth as smart as you believe you are. :D

...I don't have anything to complain about....

However, something that bugs me, is that there does not seem to be any 64-bit Preference Panes, so System Preferences always needs to restart, which is kind of annoying.

...I heard iStat Pro is not working which is too bad...

Like I said, a lot of stuff doesn't work.

"So none of you guys are using Snow Leopard on a day to day basis?"

Well that's not what your thread is about, is it? Of course we use it on a daily basis. That's how we find out what doesn't work. :P

oh for christ sake StormPCs - grow up.

Hello

i have got a real iMac, with Intel C2Duo, 20" Display.

i installed SL on extern Firewire-HD.

it boots fine in 32-bit Mode, but i want to try 64-bit,

how can i do that on real iMac, is there any Posibility to run with 64bit

thanks!

post-166867-1248003092_thumb.png

post-166867-1248003120_thumb.png

post-166867-1248003419_thumb.png

i have got a real iMac, with Intel C2Duo, 20" Display.i installed SL on extern Firewire-HD.it boots fine in 32-bit Mode, but i want to try 64-bit how can i do that on real iMac, is there any Posibility to run with 64bit thanks!

There are reports that keying 6+4 at start up switches to 64 bit on Macs. Also you could try:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

In com.apple.Boot.plist

which also has been reported as working on some Macs.

go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist (you can open it with textedit)

give "Kernel Flags" the value "arch=x86_64"

this is how it should look like:

<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
</dict>

Some apps don't seem to work unter 64-bit mode though (i.e. Little Snitch). I'll stay in 32-bit for right now. I haven't even tried 64-bit mode.

Getting ready to install Snow Leopard on my internal HD :(

go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist (you can open it with textedit)

give "Kernel Flags" the value "arch=x86_64"

this is how it should look like:

<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
</dict>

Some apps don't seem to work unter 64-bit mode though (i.e. Little Snitch). I'll stay in 32-bit for right now. I haven't even tried 64-bit mode.

Getting ready to install Snow Leopard on my internal HD ;)

i have tried (-x64) (arch=x86_64) in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and key 6+4 , doesnt work for me, still 32-bit-Mode

with my other system, it works perfekt (F8-Key... -x64 )

Wow!! I just barely started using the 64-bit Kernel and Extensions enabled and it is so fast! I didn't know that you can do that with only 2GB of RAM. I was thinking about upgrading my RAM but I guess I don't need to anymore ;D

I have a problem though which occurs both it 32 and 64 bit mode. Some preference panes won't open. As soon as it says that System Preferences has to restart to use the 32-bit preference panes, it just quits. It did work though when I had SL on my external HD. Weird...any idea how to fix this? I know it worked before.