D915GUXL success

ptaylor

7 posts in this topic

Sorry about the novel here, but I wanted to share my experiences... I'm verbose, what can I say..

My parts arrived today! I was very worried about the HD Audio because of some other posts that I've seen on the forums here.. Even with a genuine Intel 915 motherboard it looked like people were having audio issues.

I installed my Celeron 330J onto my D915GUXL... Having never installed a Socket 775 processor before, that was a bit dicey... I kept thinking I was applying too much pressure, first to the processor itself closing the socket, then to the motherboard when installing the CPU fan. I had so much trouble getting the CPU fan installed, I removed the motherboard from the case and installed it that way... When I was done there was a slight bend in the motherboard due to the strain of the CPU fan... This made me nervous, but I believe I had read about a slight bend in motherboards due to the pressure these heat sinks put on the processors, so I decided to go with it.

At any rate, the nerves were for no reason, as my machine hummed alive and booted directly to my Deadmoo image. I followed the procedures outlined in another post here to mount the Dev Kit DVD image as read-write (from within my Deadmoo image), replaced the oah750d file and burned the DVD on my refurbished Pioneer DVR-108...

I rebooted to the newly burned DVD and ran through the install process... I was nervous here too because it took several minutes (or perhaps it just seemed like that long) on the gray screen with the Apple logo before the installer jumped to life. No hard drive activity during that time, but I was patient, and it went through the entire install process very much like it does on my Mac mini.

After it rebooted, I created my user, etc. and logged in for the first time. I hadn't attached my speakers yet, as I read that others had issues getting the HD Audio to work, and hadn't been ready to fish my speaker cable out of the mess of wires only to be disappointed. The System Profiler showed nothing for Audio, so I was a bit bummed...

I downloaded the new version of iTunes, then installed it. While it was installing, I fished speaker cable from my Mac Mini and ran it to my Mactel. I plugged it into the middle port (green, I believe) and looked back to my screen. iTunes was installed and waiting on a screen for me to hit "restart" to finish the install. I moved my mouse to hit it, but nothing happened. It was locked up... Thinking this was a bad omen, I hit the power button and waited for it to reboot. It appears that by plugging in my speaker cable, it locked the machine up... I haven't bothered to try unplugging/replugging this, since I don't want to lock my machine up needlessly.

When it was booted back up, I hit the "volume up" button on my keyboard... To my suprise, I heard the usual "sqeak" noise and saw the visual indications on the screen that the volume was going up... My sound works!!!! I loaded iTunes up and started listening to 128K SmoothJazz (It's using about 9% CPU, so Rosetta is working well)...

I checked System Profiler and my video shows CoreImage and Quartz Extreme support.

So, this looks like a complete success...

My system:

Celeron 330J (2.66 Ghz)

D915GUXL

1 GB Crucial ram

Enlight Mini-ATX case

Pioneer DVR-108

40 GB IDE drive

Apple keyboard (USB)

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (USB)

So far it seems to be remarkably stable, except for the one lockup when I attached the Speakers... I'll be playing with it over the next few days or so... When my Silicon Image card arrives, I'll try to install it and hook it to my 20" Cinema display... (I'm using a 17" Viewsonic CRT now...)

I haven't done any editing or deleting of kext files, or any of the other hacks here.. It all just works... :ninja:

Paul

Sorry about the novel here, but I wanted to share my experiences... I'm verbose, what can I say..

My parts arrived today!  I was very worried about the HD Audio because of some other posts that I've seen on the forums here..  Even with a genuine Intel 915 motherboard it looked like people were having audio issues.

I installed my Celeron 330J onto my D915GUXL...  Having never installed a Socket 775 processor before, that was a bit dicey...  I kept thinking I was applying too much pressure, first to the processor itself closing the socket, then to the motherboard when installing the CPU fan.  I had so much trouble getting the CPU fan installed, I removed the motherboard from the case and installed it that way...  When I was done there was a slight bend in the motherboard due to the strain of the CPU fan... This made me nervous, but I believe I had read about a slight bend in motherboards due to the pressure these heat sinks put on the processors, so I decided to go with it.

At any rate, the nerves were for no reason, as my machine hummed alive and booted directly to my Deadmoo image.  I followed the procedures outlined in another post here to mount the Dev Kit DVD image as read-write (from within my Deadmoo image), replaced the oah750d file and burned the DVD on my refurbished Pioneer DVR-108... 

I rebooted to the newly burned DVD and ran through the install process... I was nervous here too because it took several minutes (or perhaps it just seemed like that long) on the gray screen with the Apple logo before the installer jumped to life.  No hard drive activity during that time, but I was patient, and it went through the entire install process very much like it does on my Mac mini. 

After it rebooted, I created my user, etc. and logged in for the first time.  I hadn't attached my speakers yet, as I read that others had issues getting the HD Audio to work, and hadn't been ready to fish my speaker cable out of the mess of wires only to be disappointed.  The System Profiler showed nothing for Audio, so I was a bit bummed... 

I downloaded the new version of iTunes, then installed it.  While it was installing, I fished speaker cable from my Mac Mini and ran it to my Mactel.  I plugged it into the middle port (green, I believe) and looked back to my screen.  iTunes was installed and waiting on a screen for me to hit "restart" to finish the install.  I moved my mouse to hit it, but nothing happened.  It was locked up...  Thinking this was a bad omen, I hit the power button and waited for it to reboot.  It appears that by plugging in my speaker cable, it locked the machine up...  I haven't bothered to try unplugging/replugging this, since I don't want to lock my machine up needlessly.

When it was booted back up, I hit the "volume up" button on my keyboard...  To my suprise, I heard the usual "sqeak" noise and saw the visual indications on the screen that the volume was going up...  My sound works!!!!  I loaded iTunes up and started listening to 128K SmoothJazz  (It's using about 9% CPU, so Rosetta is working well)... 

I checked System Profiler and my video shows CoreImage and Quartz Extreme support. 

So, this looks like a complete success...

My system:

Celeron 330J (2.66 Ghz)

D915GUXL

1 GB Crucial ram

Enlight Mini-ATX case

Pioneer DVR-108

40 GB IDE drive

Apple keyboard (USB)

Microsoft  Intellimouse Explorer (USB)

So far it seems to be remarkably stable, except for the one lockup when I attached the Speakers...  I'll be playing with it over the next few days or so...  When my Silicon Image card arrives, I'll try to install it and hook it to my 20" Cinema display...  (I'm using a 17" Viewsonic CRT now...)

I haven't done any editing or deleting of kext files, or any of the other hacks here..  It all just works...  :ninja:

Paul

Very similar experience with the same board - it's so stable! It "just works" and my iTunes CPU usage is at 7.5-10% when playing, not bad at all. I had the ASRock 775 dual 915 board earlier (with same CPU, DDR1 rather than DDR2 ram) and my iTunes usage was at 20-30%! XBench scores also went up 10 points - not sure if it was the memory or the board's implementation? Also the ADD2 Silicon Image card works so well - I'm using a Dell 2005fpw and it's so clear and beautiful with OSX. I've hit 2 days of uptime so far, and thats running the following continuously:

Entourage

Deer Park

Clutter (I compiled it for x86, if anyone wants it let me know)

Remote Desktop

Chicken of the VNC

MySql Viewer

BBEdit

iEatBrainz

Quicksilver (works fast and great)

Growl

Adium

VLC

System runs smooth, fast and stable - couldn't be happier. Early on I did have issues with hard locks, but I put it in debug mode and realized that my USB ntfs drive was causing crashes - had bad sectors when I scanned it in Windows.

Damn sounds like I bought the wrong boards, potentially. I purchased the ECS 915G-M.

I can't seem to get it to boot with both the OS X disk or Darwin for that matter. I keep freezing at the AppleIntelPIIXATA part. I have the AsRock board here as well I think I will try that next.

Have you checked for sound input? I have the GAVL, & everything went exactly like you described, but so far, so-one with this board has sound input. The GUXL is supposedly almost identical, so if you have sound in, then any details you could give might be valuable.

Have you checked for sound input? I have the GAVL, & everything went exactly like you described, but so far, so-one with this board has sound input. The GUXL is supposedly almost identical, so if you have sound in, then any details you could give might be valuable.

Do we know for sure that the offical Apple dev system has a working audio in?

I'm running the D915GAGL board - audio out is ok and in is missing.

in

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...findpost&p=6674

johhnybluejeans reports that he recorded himself speaking, so audio in is possible with some hardware, I just lack the mental capacity to figure out how to do it on these motherboards. I'm sure the clue is in here somewhere, & there are enough people with this problem that it's worth solving..

Therefore any details on success with audio in on Intel 915 series MoBo's would still be most helpful.

in

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...findpost&p=6674

johhnybluejeans reports that he recorded himself speaking, so audio in is possible with some hardware, I just lack the mental capacity to figure out how to do it on these motherboards. I'm sure the clue is in here somewhere, & there are enough people with this problem that it's worth solving..

Therefore any details on success with audio in on Intel 915 series MoBo's would still be most helpful.

No audio input here, and my front jacks are not operable either - I assume it has to do with the jack sensing/etc?