[How To] Install iDeneb 10.5.5 on ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

edumetz16

28 posts in this topic

********Update 31/05/09********

Attached the DSDT Patcher GUI that was missing, it can be found in PCwiz site, wich is te softare developer.

Hi everyone:

This is a guide to install iDeneb v1.3 (Leopard 10.5.5) on an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2.

First of all:

Having an i7 based machine makes it possible to install a Retail DVD of Mac OSX in your PC, so this guide is for those who have trouble to install Retail or for those new to OSX86, because it is a simpler way of getting OSX installed. I will upload a guide for Retail DVD soon.

I have only tried this in an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, but it should work on any X58 mobo (you just have to select other kexts in install)

So, what you will need is:

A DVD of iDeneb v1.3 (10.5.5), search it in your favourite torrent site.

you can burn the downloaded iso with your prefered burner, just burn it at slow speed.

The first thing to do is to change your BIOS settings.

In the "Main" menu you have to set your storage devices as AHCI, make sure your hard drive is SATA. So what it will say is "Configure SATA as AHCI".

Then you have to go to the Advanced tab and then in CPU Configuration set:

Intel HT [Disabled]

Active cores [1]

A20M [Disabled]

That is all you really need.

Boot from the iDeneb DVD. Press Enter at Darin prompt and wait untill Installer is loaded.

Once you get to the installer select your prefered language and antoher scree will come up.

What you have to do now is go to Utilities (on the top on the screen) and select Disk Utility.

Disk Utility will open up and show you on the left side of the screen a list of the Devices you have.

Select the Disk (not the partition) here you want to install and go to the "Partition" tab. Then select 1 Partition in the "Volume Scheme " setup (this depends on what you want, it does not have to be necesarily 1 partitiomn, but this is the easier configuration). Now click on optiones, on the bottom of disk utility and select the option "GUID Partition table", give a name to your partition, Choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as your format and click apply. The select the PARTITION you just named and go to the erase tab and click erase.

Now you have a partition capable to install Mac.

Close Disk Utility and accept the license. Now select the partition you just erased and click continue. Now you have to click on the "Customize" button in the next screen (DO NOT CLICK THE INSTALL BUTTON DIRECTLY).

Now a list of options to install will appear. In languages choose the one or the ones you would like to install. The important thing is to select the foloowing Patches:

In the patches menus select for:

Audio: AppleAzaliaAudio

Kernel: Stage-XNU Kernel

Chipset: ICHx and VIA

Network:--->Ethernet: Marvell or Skge (i can't remember what is the name of the kext but it is one of these)

Now, video depends on the device you have, i have Radeon HD2600XT, so i selected that package on Video, but you have to select your video card, iDeneb has a few of them.

I had to boot with the (-x flag, safe mode) (this is typing -x when boot promt appears) for OSX to boot, if screen freezes in blue try that flag, at the end you will find in netkas.org a package that solves this problem for 2600XT. There is a lot of support in irc.osx86.hu .

Now you have selected all you really need to boot. If you like select the applications, many of them are useful.

Now click OK and click install. Install will take some time, but after that computer will reboot and you will be ready to boot into OSX.

The next thing to do is to enable all cores, but for that we have to patch our DSDT. To do this follow this steps carefully:

The DSDT Patcher and DSDT Patcher GUI are available here, and EFI Studio is available for install in iDeneb.

1) Create a folder on your Desktop and name it: DSDT_Patcher1
2) Take "DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip" and extract the contents to your OSX desktop in folder named "DSDT_Patcher1(there are 3 files)
3) Open up the DSDT patcher GUI folder and go to the tools folder. Run the bootloader installer pkg.
4) Run the DSDT patcher file and when asked enter "0" to emulate Darwin OS.

5) Open the terminal and type:

cd Desktop/DSDT_Patcher1 -enter and then type

nano Debug/dsdt.dsl -enter

6) In nano modify the patched dsdt to delete all lines that start with Alias(just delete these lines with your keyboard)

7) Press Ctrl+O (that's the letter "o") and [ENTER] to save the file, then press Ctrl+X to close nano.

8) (right click on the terminal >(new basic)In terminal again type:

./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl

9) Run the patcher again, you will get 3 errors about files not existing or already existing, that's fine, don't worry about it

10) In terminal again type:

cp dsdt.aml /DSDT.aml

Close terminal.

You will see the file DSDT.aml in your hdd this file.(go finder and click on your hdd on your top left of finder). so simple

--------------------------------------------

<<<<<<>>>>>

1) go to applications - idenebapp folder and run the efistudio
2) Hit the boot.plist Editor
3) Copy these :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>busratio=20</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>
and replace paste it over the content on the boot.plist (the lines above are the only ones that should appear in the file)
4) Save changes(down right)
5) Quit everything.

Now that you have done that you can Enable HT in Bios and Select All cores also.

If your audio is not working you can install the AppleHDA kext attached with OSX86 Tools, and previously removing the AppleAzaliaAudio

Reboot and you have iDeneb installed.

DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0.zip

AppleHDA.kext.zip

edumetz16

iDeneb 1.4 does not come with the Stage-XNU kernel, it has the Voodoo kernel, wich did not work for me, maybe it does for you, i recommend iDeneb 1.3, and very soon i will upload the guide for the Retail installation, i am waiting for 10.5.7 install dvd to try that because it comes with full support for ASUS P6T Deluxe V2.

edumetz16

I tried it today and I gotta say great work, Worked great the 1st time and I had to reinstall it twice and ever time it would work flawlessly every time. The reason I had to reinstall twice is the 10.5.7 update. Can you write a small guide on how do I go about updating to 10.5.7. I tried the ideneb update and I would get still at the "still waiting for root device..." message.

Thanx again for the guide and I hope to see the retail guide soon.

This looks like a good guide, thanks!

I tried to install v1.4 on my build featuring an Asus P6T SE motherboard and it seemed to install ok (i had to install via an IDE drive, rather than a SATA one to get it to install) but then couldn't get it to boot up e.g. it just got into a boot loop.

Do you reckon that your version should work better with my setup? I'm not sure what the difference is between the SE and the Deluxe version of the board?

Thanks for confirming.

I've installed 1.3 and I managed to successfully boot into Leo and make the patches. It all seemed to be ok but since restarting for the first time I get the Apple symbol and it just hangs and I don't get the startup wheel.

The possible explanations I can think of are:

I messed up the patching - I was really careful with this so I don't think it was this

I installed the AppleHDA kext as I didn't seem to have any installed sound - I didn't get an option to remove Azalia so this seems quite likely to be the culprit? Don't know if there's a way to change this without re-doing from scratch

I did the whole installation using an IDE DVD drive and IDE HD as I don't have a SATA HD (I'd heard that you could install if you have 2 IDE drives and this seemed to work), so I didn't configure SATA as AHCI. I don't know if this has a bearing?

I've noticed that when booting up I seem to need to have the install DVD in the drive for the HD to be visible, otherwise it just doesn't see the HD. I guess then that this might also be an issue?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should just get a SATA drive and do the whole thing again.....!

Thanks for confirming.

I've installed 1.3 and I managed to successfully boot into Leo and make the patches. It all seemed to be ok but since restarting for the first time I get the Apple symbol and it just hangs and I don't get the startup wheel.

The possible explanations I can think of are:

I messed up the patching - I was really careful with this so I don't think it was this

I installed the AppleHDA kext as I didn't seem to have any installed sound - I didn't get an option to remove Azalia so this seems quite likely to be the culprit? Don't know if there's a way to change this without re-doing from scratch

I did the whole installation using an IDE DVD drive and IDE HD as I don't have a SATA HD (I'd heard that you could install if you have 2 IDE drives and this seemed to work), so I didn't configure SATA as AHCI. I don't know if this has a bearing?

I've noticed that when booting up I seem to need to have the install DVD in the drive for the HD to be visible, otherwise it just doesn't see the HD. I guess then that this might also be an issue?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should just get a SATA drive and do the whole thing again.....!

Hey:

If you have a PATA drive yu should install the PATA kexts that are controlled by the marvell chipset, i do not have the specs here, but look in the ASUS specs and check the marvell chipset version and install the ATA kects for that chipset, thenm you should have no problems.

SATA HD si highly recomended as a SATA DVD.

edumetz16

Thanks for the suggestions. I've actually realised that I do have a SATA drive, currently in a hard drive enclosure I bought a while back. If I create a partition on this presumably I could install on it.

Are you saying that I need PATA kexts if I am to have any IDE drives present, or will Mac OS just not recognise them without the kext? I was hoping to have a dual boot machine as I have Windows already installed on another drive (which is IDE) and it would be useful not to have to remove this.

>boot using -v option and see where it hangs

I've had a problem with this as I've found that I can't boot off the hard drive if the DVD is not present and if it is present, when I select any of the advanced booting options it defaults to applying them to booting with the DVD, not the hard drive - e.g. if I do -v it then start booting up the installer and giving me the lowdown on that. If I don't try and boot with the advanced options it sees the hard drive and starts booting from that, but then hangs. I'm guessing that there is some sort of conflict again to do with the IDE issue so maybe installing a SATA drive and installing to that will resolve this?

Thanks for the suggestions. I've actually realised that I do have a SATA drive, currently in a hard drive enclosure I bought a while back. If I create a partition on this presumably I could install on it.

Are you saying that I need PATA kexts if I am to have any IDE drives present, or will Mac OS just not recognise them without the kext? I was hoping to have a dual boot machine as I have Windows already installed on another drive (which is IDE) and it would be useful not to have to remove this.

>boot using -v option and see where it hangs

I've had a problem with this as I've found that I can't boot off the hard drive if the DVD is not present and if it is present, when I select any of the advanced booting options it defaults to applying them to booting with the DVD, not the hard drive - e.g. if I do -v it then start booting up the installer and giving me the lowdown on that. If I don't try and boot with the advanced options it sees the hard drive and starts booting from that, but then hangs. I'm guessing that there is some sort of conflict again to do with the IDE issue so maybe installing a SATA drive and installing to that will resolve this?

I did not undersand your drive configuration. Please give a detailed info on the amount of physical drives, partitions and the type of connections of your drive so we can help ypu

edumetz16

Ah, ok. It sounds a bit complicated but it's actually quite straightforward.

I built the machine with a single PATA hard drive running windows and a SATA dvd drive.

To install Leo I removed this hard drive (just a safety measure incase I accidentally erased it) and replaced it with another PATA hard drive, which I think formatted to mac extended journaled. The plan was to put the windows drive back when everything was working and have a dual boot machine with each system on a separate PATA drive.

I found, however, that when installing I then had issues with the 1 SATA device/1PATA device (I kept get the 'searching for Root device' or similar, message) and read somewhere out that if I was installing to a PATA drive the DVD drive doing the installing should also be PATA. I then added an old PATA DVD drive and removed the SATA DVD drive.

If you think that it will make things easier (it sounds to me like it will) I can add a SATA hard drive and reinstall Leo onto that. The one I have is already formatted for Mac but I would partition it into two, just so the system was on it's own partition. The only question then is whether I can also put my PATA drive with Windows back in, so that I can still dual boot, or whether this creates any issues? I'm pretty much in the dark as to what, if any, the implications might be, but I've become aware that it can have a bearing, at least at the install stage.

Your input is much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I've now tried using a single SATA drive with two Mac partitions and managed to get Leo to install. However, I have another problem as the machine will only boot up under Leo occasionally, the rest of the time freezing towards the end of startup. I don't know why this is and can only think that it is for of one of two reasons

a) I have an intermittent hardware problem, that comes and goes. This seems unlikely as everything works ok under Windows.

:) there is a piece of hardware I have installed that causes intermittent issues.

Anyone have any suggestions?

This is the hardware that I have:

Asus P6T SE motherboard

Intel i7 DO Stepping 2.6ghz CPU

6GB GSkill Memory

WD 500GB Sata Hard drive

LG Sata DVD writer/reader

Additionally installed items:

Wireless keyboard and mouse - via USB dongle

Belkin F5D7050 wireless connector (via USB dongle)

M-Audio Delta 66 PCI soundcard

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my experience upgrading iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5) with the 10.5.7 iDeneb Combo Upgrade:

First, my hardware:

- ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

- Intel Core i7 920

- 6gb DDR3 OCZ Gold RAM

- nVidia GTS 250

- WD Caviar 1TB hdd

I initially attempted to install iDeneb 1.4, which installed fully but just got the system into a restart loop (boot up, attempt to start darwin/x86, restart), so I tried 1.3. iDeneb 1.3 installed perfectly and booted without a hitch, so I traveled the Internet searching for a tutorial on how to upgrade it to 10.5.7.

Finding no such tutorial, I decided to just get the combo upgrade pack and see what happened. I don't really know how it all works but this is what I did:

1. Install the "Update Tools" (or something) .pkg without any of the options selected, and restart. no problems.

2. Install the actual combo update, and restart. Problem! It gets to the apple logo and hangs on the spinning thing forever.

3. attempt to append the boot with -v, -x, with no luck.

4. attempt to boot with vanilla kernel (type "vanilla" at boot prompt); just restarted system.

5. attempt to boot with anv kernel (type "anv"); I don't remember what this did but it didn't work

6. attempt to boot with "anv -x" (I don't even know what I'm technically doing at this point, just typing {censored}); SUCCESS

So, with a complete lack of technical knowledge and complete abundance of simple reasoning skill, I deduced that the problem had to do with the anv XNU kernel not being properly installed, since I had neglected to install it with the "combo update tools" thing. However I was glad that I was able to get into OS X, at least in safe mode, so I went back to the tools thing and installed the kernel. Now the system boots up perfectly with no input needed.

SOLUTION: Install the ANV XNU kernel with the "combo update tools" package that accompanies the actual update installer.

Thought I should update the annals of the Internet with this report, since I've been googling errors like crazy in my quest to get OSx86 working. At this point I have a fully functional 10.5.7 install with graphics, sound, and everything working. Awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
can some one maybe update this guide to work with the new ideneb v1.5

or better to the newest 1.5.1. :blink: ...

I have tried the following out: (credits go to Acupnu)

Bios Options must be:

IDE -> AHCI Mode

CPU->HT = Disabled

CPU->Active Core = 1

You don't need to select ACPI, AHCI and ICHx fix.

Select only these fixes:

-Chameleon v1 or Chameleon v2

-SMBios Enabler

-NVdarwin (select by video memory)

-ADI2000B (if you would like in future to update to 10.5.8 do not select this, you need to use voodooHDA and HDAEnabler) Marvell 88E8056 OHR (OpenHaltRestart)

Then, try to boot installed OS with options : "-f busratio=20 -v cpus=1"

Boot will stuck in some places. Just wait (mybe need to wait more than 15 minutes, but not greater than 30). After, you need to enter your login, password. it's easy. Now, need to apply DSDT patch. Setup your internet connection, open Safari web browser and download DSDT Patch 1.0.1e (you can find it in google). How to apply a patch, you can find in google too. Just seek InsanelyMac link. Next, copy DSDT.aml to / and copy mach_kernel to /mach_kernel.backup and the last, need to edit com.apple.Boot.plist, i can't say where exactly this file is but you can find a path running this command in terminal "find / -name '*Boot.plist' -print"

You need to add kernel boot options "-f busratio=20"

This is all).

If you try to update system to 10.5.8, you connot boot system, couse update have new original Apple branded kernel and you need to boot with "mach_kernel.backup" kernel and ADI200B fix will not work. Need voodooHDA and HDAEnabler kexts.

My problem is that i get to the end until the screen turns BLUE and i have no mouse ..its kinda stuck at that point.

What to do .. ???

You can boot the installation DVD by adding the flag busratio=20

So normally where you would type -v you would do something like this:

busratio=20 -v

That's if you're using i7 920. If you're using 940 you do busratio=22 and if you're using 965 you do busratio=24

I still can't actually boot following installation though. :-/

• 2 months later...

Hello! I have installed the ideneb exactly as you are describing me to do. But after installation is finished and the computer restarts i get stuck for a couple of minutes in the loading screen in osx and then it tells me "restart the computer". i have put -v in the promt to get specific information on what happends and it seems like its "hanging up" in the following texts:

configd[46]:InterfaceNamer:Timed Out waiting for IOKit to quiesce

kextd[9]:IO Wait Quiet() :Timed out waiting to write kernel symbols

mdworker[204]:(Error) SyncInfo:Boot-cache avoidance timed out

I dont know what to do from here. Nothing happends and i find no help in google =/..

My components are

p6t deluxe v2

i7 920

6gb ram

nvidia 9500gt

Hello! I have installed the ideneb exactly as you are describing me to do. But after installation is finished and the computer restarts i get stuck for a couple of minutes in the loading screen in osx and then it tells me "restart the computer". i have put -v in the promt to get specific information on what happends and it seems like its "hanging up" in the following texts:

configd[46]:InterfaceNamer:Timed Out waiting for IOKit to quiesce

kextd[9]:IO Wait Quiet() :Timed out waiting to write kernel symbols

mdworker[204]:(Error) SyncInfo:Boot-cache avoidance timed out

I dont know what to do from here. Nothing happends and i find no help in google =/..

My components are

p6t deluxe v2

i7 920

6gb ram

nvidia 9500gt

try -x flag

try -x flag

I have done so too, Gets stuck in the same place anyway! =/ Could this be because my graphics card 9500gt was not anywhere among the nvidia cards in the installation ? (i didnt really know wichone to select here because i couldnt find it)

I have done so too, Gets stuck in the same place anyway! =/ Could this be because my graphics card 9500gt was not anywhere among the nvidia cards in the installation ? (i didnt really know wichone to select here because i couldnt find it)

anyone??