HTPC Build advice

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a little guidance with regards to what components would I should use in my machine. I just ordered a case last week and have a terabyte drive, but I need to make the call on the motherboard and processor. I splurged on the case I wanted it to fit in with the aesthetic of my living room and thought it matched my receiver well.

Case

Nmedia 2000b http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...2&Tpk=2000b

Now what I'm hoping to do is get an inexpensive board and processor that will be able to handle streaming HD content from my iMac. I've got a D-Link N router and don't have too much trouble streaming HD to my Xbox 360 currently. I also intend on putting a capture card in the machine at some point, but not initially.

I had been looking at this thread comparing the BOXDG31PR vs. GA-G31M-ES2L and wasn't too sure whether either of those boards would be able to handle what I'm looking for. And if I went with one of those boards what would be the best option for an inexpensive processor?

I'm also wondering what type of power demands a box like this would require. The case I bought doesn't come with a power supply. Could I get away with a 250 or 400 to power the machine?

I'm currently mulling getting the Asus P5N73-AM that I found on sale, it has an onboard nVidia nForce 610i Chipset which I'm wondering whether it would be sufficient for handling the graphics load, or should I just get a the Gigabyte board and a graphics card. There wasn't too much info on people using the Asus board on the site, so I'm wondering what the best path would be. As for the processor I'm looking at the Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz, which I think should have enough horsepower to handle things.

The GA-G31M-ES2L + E5200 makes a great HTPC. I have that combo paired to a silent Asus 8600GS card and am running a 720p display. I would assume that the card would also work fine for 1080p, but to be safe you coud get something like this silent 9400 gt which is within a few buck of the card I bought a few months back. Additionally I added a large heatsink and slow fan to the processor, and the noisiest components are now the hard drive and the optical. Other than that it is as good as silent.

I bought the gigabyte motherboard and e5200 processor and have set upon building my machine. I'm brand new to building a PC, so I've run into a roadblock. I've assembled everything, plugged the machine in, flipped the switch on the PS and nothing. No lights, no fans. I press and hold the button on the front and nada. So I hauled out the PS and took it back to the store. Turns out it was a bum PS, so I got a new one and had the guy in the store test the second one to verify it was working. Assemble it again and again nothing. Could it be my nMedia 2000b case is defective? I would figure that I would at least get a light, fan or something but I haven't had any luck at all. Any help anyone could lend me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I bought the gigabyte motherboard and e5200 processor and have set upon building my machine. I'm brand new to building a PC, so I've run into a roadblock. I've assembled everything, plugged the machine in, flipped the switch on the PS and nothing. No lights, no fans. I press and hold the button on the front and nada. So I hauled out the PS and took it back to the store. Turns out it was a bum PS, so I got a new one and had the guy in the store test the second one to verify it was working. Assemble it again and again nothing. Could it be my nMedia 2000b case is defective? I would figure that I would at least get a light, fan or something but I haven't had any luck at all. Any help anyone could lend me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Your case's power button could be deffective.With a DOA motherboard, some components would start like HDD, fans not plugged on it, lights, etc. Try to check the electric contact by unmounting it. But first, check with your MB book you plugged the "f panel" wires fine.