Chameleon not loading WinXP

Squeech

10 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I've successfully installed both WinXP and Leopard (iDeneb) onto my Aspire One. However, after installing Chameleon 2RC1, I can no longer get my WinXP to boot. Each time I select that operating system from the Chameleon boot screen, the screen displays:

Loading Darwin

Can't find mach_kernel

And then goes back to the selection screen. I've searched through various forums and have seen people talking about making sure that the active partitions are set correctly, etc. The problem is, I already had done that prior to installing Chameleon, and could get to each OS just fine. After Chameleon, I can no longer get to XP.

Any suggestions or ideas? Anyone recognize this issue? Thanks!

Hi there,

I've successfully installed both WinXP and Leopard (iDeneb) onto my Aspire One. However, after installing Chameleon 2RC1, I can no longer get my WinXP to boot. Each time I select that operating system from the Chameleon boot screen, the screen displays:

Loading Darwin

Can't find mach_kernel

And then goes back to the selection screen. I've searched through various forums and have seen people talking about making sure that the active partitions are set correctly, etc. The problem is, I already had done that prior to installing Chameleon, and could get to each OS just fine. After Chameleon, I can no longer get to XP.

Any suggestions or ideas? Anyone recognize this issue? Thanks!

it still may be an active partition problem. which was installed originally? xp, im taking it?

i dont remember all the ramble off hand but you could try:

boot off osx86 install dvd, hit F8 when prompted to press any key or F8 for start up options.

type, "-s" without quotes to enter in single user mode, something like a dos boot up.

type without quotes and press enter after each line and wait for it to display that it has performed the action.

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

quit

reboot

and then you should be able to boot into xp and maybe figure another bootloader to try to use, etc. if not, etc. you could do:

Press F8 at install disc prompt:

type "-s"

and after single user mode loads, type, without quotes and hit enter after each line. & WAIT FOR it to load/perform the operation.

"fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0"

"flag 2" (this should be your mac os x install location, thats if its on your 2nd partition)

"update"

"write"

"quit"

"reboot"

this should rewrite the MBR sector of disk and might re-install any corrupted or messed up files, etc. in the boot loader now. i dont know if it'll load the default darwin loader or not, either way, whatever works, whatever works man.

these are just my guess' at stuff to try.

it still may be an active partition problem. which was installed originally? xp, im taking it?

Yup, WinXP was the first OS installed. Thanks for these suggestions! I'll give them a shot when I get home tonight.

no problem man. report back with anything that happens. ill try to check back again tonight. just in case i can not come back to check, ill supply some mini yet massive information to you.

if you try the second option i gave you flagging partition 2 and the update, write commands, if in turn it reloads the mac os x boot loader and you pick the windows ntfs partition to load xp and it says its been corrupted, etc. knowing its because of the mbr you rewrote it with mac, well in vista which is what i have, whatll happen sometimes is, vista when you try to boot it after a mac os installation it says it can not start cuz a file is missing or corrupted and it states winload.exe which i of course know for vista to be because i overwrote the boot....

so just in case you might have to boot off of xp install dvd and use the recovery console, google how to get into that if you do not now how. but if you have to do all this MAKE SURE TO BOOT INTO MAC OS X DVD INTO SINGLE USER MODE (-s) AND DO THE FIRST OPTION I TOLD YOU ABOVE FLAG 1. So it'll be on the xp partition when you load into the xp setup disc.

At the recovery console you could type

fixboot

and restart, see if xp loads correctly as you flagged partition 1, so just xp will load, not the mac bootlaoder, if that doesn work load back into the recovery console and type

fixmbr

reboot

check xp

if it's successful reboot into the mac os x dvd into single user mode and type out the second option i gave you above to flag 2, update, write, quit, reboot, etc. just look above for full code. that might settle it once and for all.

i know it might be a pain of swapping cds and junk but trust me its so worth it. i mean if i wanted i could have linux, xp, vista, mac os x, etc. all right on my computer, =) haha.

this was the example that helped me out for the vista problem, similar only your windows is on 1 and not 2, in the example flag 1 would be flagging mac os x, which is your case is your xp, so youd just switch 1 around with 2 in this example. and switch 2 for 1, haha. get the drift? just supply if you want to use as a backup, etc.....

This guide is for restoring our nice, working hackintosh's darwin bootloader.

Basically, Vista RTM foobars our working MBR's bootloader and you get "HFS+ partition error".

In following, I will assume we have one HDD with two partitions: part#1 = OSX and part#2 = Vista

1. Boot off OSX dvd disc in single user mode (press F8 and type -s)

2. At single user prompt

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

update

write

quit

4 reboot

At this point OSX should boot up, just like prior to Vista installation.

1 In a terminal window,

su root

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 2

quit

2 reboot

Vista will say "\Window\system32\winload" corrupted, and it will tell you to insert Vista disc and recover.

Follow directions from Vista and recover, then reboot. Check Vista boots and works fine.

1. Boot off OSX dvd disc for single user one last time (press F8 and type -s)

2. At single user prompt

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

quit

3. reboot

You will discover that Vista recovered and left MBR's darwin bootloader intact smile.gif.

Happy ending.

Reference :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33216

So I tried your first reply's suggestion (flag 1), and it booted into XP just fine. But this time, I didn't have the option to select OSX at all (and I'm not sure what you meant by trying a bootloader here at this point ..)

I then got back into OSX by doing your first reply's second suggestion (flag 2), which returned me to the Chameleon bootloader, where I again got the original error when I tried to select WinXP. OSX booted just fine.

I'll look into your second reply and see how that might fix things up, using the recovery console etc.

Thanks for your help so far!

So I tried the recovery console route, and it didn't change the situation for me :/ It wound up with the same result: WinXP boots fine when the active partition is set to 1, OS X boots fine when it's set to 2, but Chameleon won't load up XP when it's on the selection menu.

One scenario I didn't try was the 2nd recovery console one. I chickened out at this part:

** CAUTION **

This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.

FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue.

I was afraid that if I did that, then I might not even be able to boot back into OS X. (I have everything backed up, just in case, but I didn't want to bother with that just tonight :) )

So I tried the recovery console route, and it didn't change the situation for me :/ It wound up with the same result: WinXP boots fine when the active partition is set to 1, OS X boots fine when it's set to 2, but Chameleon won't load up XP when it's on the selection menu.

One scenario I didn't try was the 2nd recovery console one. I chickened out at this part:

** CAUTION **

This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.

FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue.

I was afraid that if I did that, then I might not even be able to boot back into OS X. (I have everything backed up, just in case, but I didn't want to bother with that just tonight :) )

its fine, IT WILL ERASE THE MAC BOOT OFF OF THE MBR. BUUUUUUT....... when you boot off your mac os x dvd into single user mode, when you type flag 2 to mark the mac os x partition active, did you type "update" [enter] and then "write" [enter] after it? This should completely re-write the mac os x boot on your mbr.

So the overall procedure would be boot off the mac os x dvd into single user mode (-s)

when it loads type

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 2

update

write

quit

reboot

if you already have done this, it didnt bring about any change at all? Still chameleon and no win xp loading?

Thats weird, maybe its because you've used Chameleon instead of the default efi/darwin loader.

To follow up what I meant by figuring out another bootloader if youre able to gain access to xp is:

Try looking for Acrosnis OS Selector, research it, I believe it supports booting into mac os x. If I recall plenty of people use thta as well. It'll rewrite your MBR with its bootloader and it will be the one that dictates and decides where and how to find and load the selected OS.

It should detect your mac automatically, if not you can add an OS yourself and select it's drive/partition. If you need help finding it try the bay of all pirates. Not worth buying the whole disk director package just for the os selector, if i recall right, I do believe they do offer OS Selector for free, maybe......ehh I forget.... I hope you get this figured out....

Sorry I cant help anymore, I'm just not fimaliar with chameleon at all. It seems to me that your mac os x boots up fine, and xp boots up fine, its just chameleon will not boot xp and thats just weird, maybe try the chain0 method I've heard about to load xp, etc.

Sorry I cant help anymore, I'm just not fimaliar with chameleon at all. It seems to me that your mac os x boots up fine, and xp boots up fine, its just chameleon will not boot xp and thats just weird, maybe try the chain0 method I've heard about to load xp, etc.

Hey, no problem, man, thanks for all the advice. I took a leap of faith and did the FIXMBR from the recovery console while flagged to 1, then went back to flag 2 with the update/write thing, and Chameleon is *still* there, with the same inability to load XP when the drive is selected from the GUI. Mac still boots fine.

I'll look into the other two methods you talked about (the bootloader from the XP side of things, as well as this chain0 thing) and see how they might help me. Otherwise, I may just say to hell with XP as a seperate partition, and run parallels instead ;)

lol yeah paralells works fine, just boot camp doesnt work on mac os x (on osx86 macs of course), even if you have an intel chip at least what i read a few times. which sucks, it'd be awesome to laydown mac os x first and then add xp via bootcamp, or vice versa and just add bootcamp and then have it load xp.

ahh ok ive read up a little more, in a way you could flag xp as your main partition and just google how to chain0 etc what chain 0 is. is basically you add it to your boot.ini file and it'll allow your xp boot loader (the default xp boot loader) to list the mac os and then you'll also of course be able to boot into xp, and you can set xp as default to load after x seconds. you know the usual. hope all this helps and good luck!