Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - Build for Final Cut and Maya - Please comment

4 posts in this topic

So I would like to build a retail install machine that will allow my to do all DV editing in Final Cut, as well as use MAYA/3DS MAX when I need to. These are the specs Im looking at. Please let me know what you think, experiences with similar hardware, and if possible reccomnded drivers or kext I will need.

Thank you to all who lend a hand. : )

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4ghz

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX

-onboard audio (Realtek ALC889A)

-LAN chipset (Realtek 8111C)

G.SKILL 2 X 2gb 240-Pin DDR 2 800 (PC2 6400)

Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA

HP 22x DVD Burner IDE Model

All that will work fine, but you need a supported video card. Since you want to do 3D cross platform, you should look into the best possible card you can get that will do 3D well on both platforms, but that is QE/CI compatible on the Mac. IE: 9800GTX or better on the nVidia side, or whatever the latest is on the ATI side.

Yup, a retail install should work fine on that board. As far as I know, it should be the same method that works with the UD3P- I've done several retail installs on the UD3P board, and it's a fantastic board for Hackintosh.

The original Auzigog guide for the UD3P is here- it's a good place to start, and I *think* his method should work with the UD3R. (Can't say 100% for certain, because I haven't used a UD3R board myself).

Also, Kaido over on anandtech's All Things Apple forum (Weaksauce on this forum) has a fantastic Hackintosh guide in this thread. One of the boards he focuses on is the UD3P. Take a read through the later part of the thread- it's over 100 pages, but tons of information, setup guides, and the install files for the UD3P board. (Again, I don't know for certain if the same applies exactly to the UD3R, but it can't hurt to check it out.)

Oh, one other thing I just noticed. If you can, save yourself a possible hassle and go with a SATA DVD drive, rather than IDE. IDE drives can present problems with a Hackintosh. It *might* work fine, but it *might* cause problems too. To be absolutely certain, a SATA optical drive definitely will work.