View .cbr comics on your iPhone

Ed

2 posts in this topic

Filed under: Analysis / Opinion, Odds and ends, iTunes, iPhone, App Store, iPod touch

boneuclick.jpgOf course there's an app for this, but I'd never even considered it. While I do occasionally read .cbr (Comic Book Archive files) on my desktop, the iPhone didn't really occur to me as a portable comic book reading device. But sure enough, there are apps for that. iComic is probably the cheapest, but I hear it's a little tough to get set up. ComicZeal is extremely popular, and just a little bit cheaper from the somewhat similar myComics. Pull Lists uses a desktop client to sync up comics for you, which is a little more than I need, but it seems like some people like it. There are actually lots of choices, it turns out -- I would have thought that the iPhone's screen was pretty small for reading comic book pages, but I'll have to give those apps a try.

Or, if you're too cheap to pay a buck or two for a full app, you can even do it yourself. .cbr files are really just .jpg archives, so as this tip from a while back on the iPhone Comic Book Reader says, you can actually extract out the jpegs, and then just sync them up to your iPhone via iPhoto if you want. Three dollars really isn't that much, and any of those apps listed above will give you a little more functionality (easy flipping between pages, bookmarking, and many other features per app), but if you really want to DIY, there you go.

Now it would be nice to be able to officially buy .cbr archives over the web from some of the major companies -- the closest they've come that I know of is a subscription service, but of course you've got to use their own client for that (and there's no iPhone app that I can find, though Uclick has a few apps in there for certain books). As long as reading pirated .cbr files is outlawed, only outlaws will end up reading them.

TUAWView .cbr comics on your iPhone originally appeared on The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) on Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

i

tuaw?i=4pTbA4przM4:sAjr8A7dhwQ:wF9xT3WuBAs tuaw?i=4pTbA4przM4:sAjr8A7dhwQ:V_sGLiPBpWU
4pTbA4przM4

Are there any programs that include an intelligent zoom box that enlarges speech bubbles when you click on them like ComicReader for windows mobile. I couldn't imagine reading anything on a small screen without it.