No Sound (Dell Inspiron 9400 iPC 10.5.6)

jONEz

4 posts in this topic

I have iPC OSx86 10.5.6 dual booting with XP, but I can't seem to get sound working under OSX. I called Dell to ask what version of Sigmatel Audio is in my laptop, and they said 9228. This was an option in the installer, which I selected, and no audio devices show up under Sound.

After that didn't work, I did a bunch of searches and found an app called AppleHDA Audio Patcher 1.20. The page had a link to some text files, two of which were named 9228. I tried them both, patched, rebooted, and still no sound (one at a time rebooting in between).

I'm starting to wonder if I actually have Sigmatel 9228 or another revision. I can't seem to find anything more then Sigmatel HD in Device Manager in XP. The driver section on Dell's site just lists drivers for 92XX.

Has anyone been successful in getting sound working on a Dell Inspiron 9400? Or know how I can find out what is in my laptop and what I can do to get it working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue, except with a inspiron E1505. I am using the proper chipset but I cant get the audio to work. I once installed Kalyway 10.5.2 once and I had the audio working but I cant seem to do it with iPC.

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

I wonder if you had any luck getting sound on iPC 10.5.6? (Dell Inspiron 9400 here)

And if it serves as a tip, mine has Sigmatel 9200!

I have iPC OSx86 10.5.6 dual booting with XP, but I can't seem to get sound working under OSX. I called Dell to ask what version of Sigmatel Audio is in my laptop, and they said 9228. This was an option in the installer, which I selected, and no audio devices show up under Sound.

After that didn't work, I did a bunch of searches and found an app called AppleHDA Audio Patcher 1.20. The page had a link to some text files, two of which were named 9228. I tried them both, patched, rebooted, and still no sound (one at a time rebooting in between).

I'm starting to wonder if I actually have Sigmatel 9228 or another revision. I can't seem to find anything more then Sigmatel HD in Device Manager in XP. The driver section on Dell's site just lists drivers for 92XX.

Has anyone been successful in getting sound working on a Dell Inspiron 9400? Or know how I can find out what is in my laptop and what I can do to get it working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Also my research tells me all Inspiron 9400 are Sigmatel 9200 so far (could be wrong tho!).

Can you tell me more about your install options? Usually it works by installing HDA and Sigmatel from the DVD instal for other versions.

Also try going to System Preferences - > Audio -> Output: and check what device is set as the default ouput, if the subwoofer, than no sound :D