Steam on mac?

lauwebeats

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just bought a new MBP and some other nice stuff which works en looks great. I was just wondering if Steam (Counter strike 1.6) could run on OS X? I've read some things about darwin en wine which can run windows programs on the Apple, but thats a bit vague to me. Can someone give me an answer?

Sorry for my english :)

Hi, and welcome to InsanelyMac!

First off, a lot of Steam games (Steam itself works too) on Crossover games, especially the Orange Box.

Please note that Crossover is a commercial product. It might be wise to download the trial first.

Crossover Mac - http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

1. Install Crossover by dragging it to your applications folder

2. Go to Install Software and select install Steam.

3. Follow the wizard to create a bottle. It will download and install, and then shortly run :)

(Note, it will probably download some fonts and a HTML Parser. That's ok! Just let it do it's stuff :()

4. If you already have your game data, go to manage bottles, select your bottle, go to advanced and click on open drive in finder.

5. Go to drive_c/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/ and copy your content over.

6. All done :)

If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to post up on this thread.

Don't fret, and have fun!

Texta.

Hi, and welcome to InsanelyMac!

First off, a lot of Steam games (Steam itself works too) on Crossover games, especially the Orange Box.

Please note that Crossover is a commercial product. It might be wise to download the trial first.

Crossover Mac - http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

1. Install Crossover by dragging it to your applications folder

2. Go to Install Software and select install Steam.

3. Follow the wizard to create a bottle. It will download and install, and then shortly run :thumbsdown_anim:

(Note, it will probably download some fonts and a HTML Parser. That's ok! Just let it do it's stuff :P )

4. If you already have your game data, go to manage bottles, select your bottle, go to advanced and click on open drive in finder.

5. Go to drive_c/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/ and copy your content over.

6. All done :P

If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to post up on this thread.

Don't fret, and have fun!

Texta.

this isn't a forum i have used before but i have recenlty made "the switch" and have a steam account so it would be a real bonus to be able to operate it flawlessly on the mac.

however....ive got steam up and running with crossover all without a hitch.

of the ones ive tried from the 'complete valve pack', all the source games and portal work perfectly,

the rest of the singleplayer games only work in a small screen in the centre of my screen (that you can, albeit inconveniently, screen zoom into) and left4dead only runs the opening sequence then leaves me what i think is the title screen but with no links ie new game, options etc again in the small screen.

initial reaction (to all but l4d) - adjust the res, however it only offers the 1340x747 option in the drop down menu in the video options in the game and my monitor is 1368x768.

and there are no screen size options in steam settings.

i tried messing with the rendering setting in half life but that seems to have really upset it...won't even run, title screen just flashes up then its gone!!!

not really sure the problem is in mac, or crossover, or steam, or all of them.........

@alisdairv

Go to "My games" and select the game you want and go to "Launch Options". There you can add commands. Add the line -width -height and fill the correct values like -width 1024 -height 768

I've installed vmware and i'll see how thats gonna work :unsure:

So this iSteam thing is just crossover, but whenever I goto play games through crossover like Left 4 Dead, it tells me it doesn't recognize my drivers, any ideas on how to get around this?

Left4Dead is still sort of a work in progress under CrossOver. We get mixed reports on it: some people say it works, some say it doesn't. You might want to check out http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/b..._id=4672;tips=1. Bottom line: we're interested in making this title run, and it's on our radar, but it's far from perfect at the moment.

Cheers,

-jon parshall-

COO

www.codeweavers.com

"Your Mac/Windows Solution"