TPB lost in court

14 posts in this topic

I read the guys behind got their buts kicked in court. Over 30 million to pay to the industry and one year in jail. A couple of more rounds left though before the final word is said. I don't think they will win though. Media reports everyone of them has a criminal record from before.

So second time typing this, hope it works this time around. What the hecks wrong with this board these days?

Well it depends on where you live does'nt it, I mean really know what's going on. No way you can convert 32 millions of their kronors over to 3,6 million USD, just do the math. So maby you should check things out before you....... I'm living very close to where this happends so I only wish people will get their facts right before they post BS here. It's a big world you know and the PB is not a US thing.So second time typing this, hope it works this time around. What the hecks wrong with this board these days?

Latest news is they might have to redo it all over again since the media found out the judge might be to close connected to the part representing the music/film etc etc industry.

USD is not used in Sweden. And it was not a fine to pay the government, but a compensation to pay the industry. The biggest compensation goes to 20th century fox who were awarded a compensation of approx 10,8 million kr (swedish kronor). The case is already appealed and will be tried under the next higher court (hovrätten), and I am sure it will go all up to the highest court (högsta domstolen) in Sweden. It is estimated that the final verdict will be few years from now maybe 5 years.

Altough the judge was a member of "Svenska föreningen för industriellt rättsskydd" (swedish association for the protection of industrial property), which deals with intellectual property, patents, trademarks etc. it will not have a consequence as the case already is appealed.

• 2 months later...
USD is not used in Sweden. And it was not a fine to pay the government, but a compensation to pay the industry. The biggest compensation goes to 20th century fox who were awarded a compensation of approx 10,8 million kr (swedish kronor). The case is already appealed and will be tried under the next higher court (hovr�tten), and I am sure it will go all up to the highest court (h�gsta domstolen) in Sweden. It is estimated that the final verdict will be few years from now maybe 5 years.

Altough the judge was a member of "Svenska f�reningen f�r industriellt r�ttsskydd" (swedish association for the protection of industrial property), which deals with intellectual property, patents, trademarks etc. it will not have a consequence as the case already is appealed.

Yep this is right.

And it seems TPB is about to be sold for 60 millions Swedish kronors. The buyer states all is going to be leagal from now on.

Also it's kind of cool the Pirat Partiet vill be represented in the EU, the swedish EU elections turned out to be really something this time around.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
piracy will never die. we will always find a way to be ahead of the curve and evolve with the technology. where theres a will, theres a way :P

Exactly, although I'm a firm believer of "if it's worth using/enjoying, then it's worth paying for", at the same time, piracy has ironically helped sell machines across the decades. Despite all the efforts with WGA, Microsoft profits ten-fold from piracy and has even bragged about it for years. You know why? It means even if they "lose" a sale on the product, their user base increases because their rivals don't even get a look-in as people have consciously chosen to use an illegal copy of their software without even considering the alternatives.

The amount of people I've come across who would rather wade through pages of product-key's or risk trojan infested key-gen's to run MS Office instead of simply using Open Office for free, even after explaining that it will do the same job shows you that it's a battle against an immortal Hydra.

You can decapitate one, two, maybe three heads - but many more will emerge to take their place and I think the same goes for TPB, regardless of any litigation. I do think TPB is unfairly targeted though. If you think about it, the torrents they list are small fry compared to the mass volume of piracy emanating from China but yet the MPAA and all the others aren't seriously going after them, are they?

Speaking of TPB, check out the news in this link. Seems like their battles will rage on and on...

• 2 weeks later...