Jump to content
Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.


how does one edit a photo like this?

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all,


I am new to dslr,

Just wonderful what in general does a photo like this need to edit to look like this.

For example, if you know, how did the following photo happened?

what did the person do to adjust it in the post proecess stagse.


thanks again


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

that looks a good photo. What's been done to it depends on what needed doing....

Obviously with such lack of depth of field displayed the photo was probably taken with low f-number.


Alternatively a blur tool may have been used to (PS CS4 blur tool with mask one option) with a sharpener NIK Sharpener) tool for the bench in foreground.


Personally I think that most photographers know what they are looking for when they take the photo and wouldn't be post processing to the extent of the above. In this case they've possibly just:


1. Levelled the photo

2. Shadow / Hightlighted

3 Finally applied a custom filter (Check out Nik's offerings again)


Hope this helps.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

it also looks like they used a magic wand of some kind to select the sky and change the color to the yellow on this image. you can see in the full-sized picture that the leaves don't look quite right where they abut the sky.


they could have shot the image with filters, or used a special camera setting. they could have changed the overall appearance with a photo editing program. i think even picnik.com lets people keep one area in focus while blurring the rest if they want to make that kind of adjustment.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick way (if you know a little bit about photoshop or lightroom, or a similar program) to get a picture like this is to google "vintage post processing actions" (for photoshop) or "vintage presets" (for lightroom).


A lot of people are really good at post processing, and they put up free actions or presets. You can download them and apply them to your own photos.


You can also look at the steps these actions went through to achieve the final result, and you can learn that way.


For an idea of what Photoshop can do, click here:




(I just googled it, I haven't used any of them myself)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

dslr - low f stop, filter (maybe graduated polarized + yellow or just polarized) and slow syncro flash! no post!



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.