Share iTunes library osx and vista on seperate HD

failurbydesign

13 posts in this topic

Is there a way to l.ink both OS's to read and add music to the same iTunes music folder?

Example, if there is a separate hard drive for music, when in OS X if i add music to the folder through itunes (copies) then boot into vista and open itunes (which is linked to the same music drive) will it pick up the new music that i had OS X copy into that drive?

symlink = symbolic link = unix speak for shortcut (win) or alias (mac).

Win shortcut: C:\Users\you\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music -------\
                                                              => The real music folder
Mac alias:   /Users/you/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music ----------/

This way you do not have to change the prefs of either iTunes. If you do, then whenever the folder you told it to use is not available, it will fall back to the default and cause confusion on your side and chaos if you then add to the library...

in mac terminal -> use ln command with -s switch to create a symlink to your music folder. so the result will be that your homedirectory/Music will point to separateHD/musicfolder.

Since vista also supports symlinks use the mklink command with the /D switch to do the same.

now setup itunes on both vista and mac to your respective userhome/Music. the first time you start itunes after this, it will take a minute or so to refresh the library but will retain almost all your settings. try it out for yourself. works alright on my setup. but i havent setup the option to let itunes move around my files. i manually manage them. for a tutorial on how to do the same if you have itunes setup to arrange your music folder search on google. almost all the tutorials are for this situation. hope that helps. btw, i have all my music on an hfs+ drive and use macdrive on vista.

thanks but i dont know how to do what you say! Im not familiar with symlink or how to use it or how it works! In a case like this i need a program to do it for me...other than that im {censored}ed since i have no idea what to do! U have been very helpful and i appreciate that, but i alone cant make this work

ok. sorry for the delay! here goes the small tut:

1) we will do all the file management from vista. your best option would be the new HD formatted as FAT 32 coz that is readable as well as writable by both windows and osx natively. you have two other options, but both will cost you some money. the first one is to have the new HD formatted as HFS+ in which case you will need the macdrive software installed in vista. the second option is to have the new HD formatted as NTFS, then you will need NTFS for Mac from paragon installed in your osx. there maybe other free alternatives (like macFUSE) but its your call. so the file management. move your music folder (which should be in your User folder) to the new HD. please note, there would be a folder named iTunes inside this folder.

2) open up cmd in vista to get a command prompt. there, type in "mkdir /D path_to_Music_under_your_User_folder path_to_new_Music_folder" This should create a shortcut kinda thing in your User folder where the original Music folder used to be.

3) after this is done, fire up itunes and disable the music organization by iTunes. and check that all the files are still showing up in the Library.

our work in vista is done.

4) boot into osx and since you have another copy of all your music here, in the ~/Music, you can safely delete this folder and issue this command in terminal. "ln -s path_to_Music_folder_on_new_HD ~/Music"

5) Now fire up itunes and disable the music organization here too. everythin should be fine now. you will even have your computer authorized and all.

Now this may even work even if you leave the manage music option enabled. but i havent tested it. so dunno

thats all!