SOS: i7 extreme with Ati Radeon 4870 X2 HACKINTOSH

Extremely Awesome

14 posts in this topic

Hey..

My Hackintosh is running with i7 extreme 3.2Ghz But the Graphics card is not working yet..

I'm thinking of using crossfire with 2 cards of 4870 X2 but I couldn't make the single one work for me..

SOME PARTS OF MY HACKINTOSH :( :

- CPU: Intel i7 Extreme 965 .

- Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-Extreme.

- Memory Model: OCZ3G1600LV6GK it's 3x2GB (I'll make it 24GB if I make the 6GB work as expected, and if I find 4GB single cards).

- Power supply: COOLMAX Green Power 950 Watt..

- Graphics Card: ATi Radeon HD 4870 X2 (Adding the second card soon if the first one work!).

Hey Merix.. How did you fix the resolution?

I could not make it over 1024X768..

Embio..

You are right.. mac does not support crossfire technology but I hope some one can fix this issue. MacPro Board does not support it but Ex-58-Extreme support it (the CF T).

Apple Macs: "Multiple graphics card configurations available with two, three, or four NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 cards.." not crossfire tech.

It is all about the software..

Sorry, you wont be able to take advantage of 2 GB VRAM with any OS! The reason is, that you NOT have 2 GB VRAM! You only have 1 GB VRAM, like every HD4870X2! The reason is, that you have 2 x 1 GB, but in both VRAM the same data will be stored when you enable crossfire. Also without CF enabled you will only have 1 GB VRAM.

And also with the second card you wont have 4 GB VRAM, you will still have 1 GB useable VRAM

And now go on and let your CPU BURN! Nobody on this planet buys a i7 965 with an X58 Extreme and runs them with 3,2 GHZ! 4 GHZ is the absolute minimum, i got 3,8 GHZ with my i920 which costs 300 dollars.

Hey Merix..

I tried this before posting but when I reached the 5th step the mac couldn't boot..

I changed the kernel and it booted without any graphics improvement.

I'll keep trying.. Maybe I did something wrong.

Sorry, you wont be able to take advantage of 2 GB VRAM with any OS! The reason is, that you NOT have 2 GB VRAM! You only have 1 GB VRAM, like every HD4870X2! The reason is, that you have 2 x 1 GB, but in both VRAM the same data will be stored when you enable crossfire. Also without CF enabled you will only have 1 GB VRAM.

And also with the second card you wont have 4 GB VRAM, you will still have 1 GB useable VRAM

NO.. NO.. NOOOOO Don't Write that :blink:

Why did they do that, putting 2GB and not letting us take advantage of?

When I tried a game, GTA IV inside windows, I saw that the Vram is only 1GB but I thought Ati company will update and correct that later telling such games that we have 2GB Graphic Card here..

The 2GB (besides the DDR5 thing) is the reason of why I didn't buy an nVidia card.. 295.. etc

I'm still hoping that Ati will update the card's software and turn back the missing GB..

And now go on and let your CPU BURN! Nobody on this planet buys a i7 965 with an X58 Extreme and runs them with 3,2 GHZ! 4 GHZ is the absolute minimum, i got 3,8 GHZ with my i920 which costs 300 dollars.

You are right.. I will overlock it later.. (even that it is very fast as it is)..

I did not buy a cooling system yet.. Any suggestions?

(the regular fan of i7 extreme is really cool.. transparent wings.. blue lights.. a switch for higher Extreme usage..)

NO.. NO.. NOOOOO Don't Write that ;)

Why did they do that, putting 2GB and not letting us take advantage of?

When I tried a game, GTA IV inside windows, I saw that the Vram is only 1GB but I thought Ati company will update and correct that later telling such games that we have 2GB Graphic Card here..

The 2GB (besides the DDR5 thing) is the reason of why I didn't buy an nVidia card.. 295.. etc

I'm still hoping that Ati will update the card's software and turn back the missing GB..

There is absolute no way to activate the 2 GB VRAM! You physically have 2 GB VRAM, but for Crossfire it is necessary that both VRAMs with 1 GB store nearly the exact same data. Otherwise tihs wouldn't work. There is absolute no way to get 2 GB VRAM. Also ATI wont update anything! You will have 1 GB usable VRAM on this card for ever! You can imagine this an an RAID 1 System. Sorry, no way.

But by the way: The nVidia 295 GTX which is said to have 1792 MB VRAM also only has 896 MB useable VRAM. It's the same thing with all Multi-GPU Graphics card. You cannot go and add the VRAM from all GPUs to one global VRAM. This is only done for marketing in the product description!

This card for example has really 2048 MB VRAM, because it's a single GPU card:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a409317.html

And this card has also really 1792 MB VRAM because it's single GPU card:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/?cat=gra16_...GeForce+GTX+275

You are right.. I will overlock it later.. (even that it is very fast as it is)..

I did not buy a cooling system yet.. Any suggestions?

(the regular fan of i7 extreme is really cool.. transparent wings.. blue lights.. a switch for higher Extreme usage..)

The only way to really make benefit of an i7-965 for 1000 dollar over an i7-920 for 300 dollar is an extreme Water Cooling System.With Air cooling you will get 100-150 MHZ more as i would have been possible with an i7-920 in the end, and pay 700 dollars more for this. The best air coolers for 1366 are "Scythe Mugen 2" and "Noctua NH-U12P".

Next time, before you go to buy a new pc, please inform yourself in a forum! It's really important and people there would have said you that you could have saved really much money as for your i7-965! In the world of PC-Components you only get fooled and fooled by large numbers which don't give you any benefit!

i know it is off topic, but i only wanted to help!

There is absolute no way to activate the 2 GB VRAM! You physically have 2 GB VRAM, but for Crossfire it is necessary that both VRAMs with 1 GB store nearly the exact same data. Otherwise tihs wouldn't work. There is absolute no way to get 2 GB VRAM. Also ATI wont update anything! You will have 1 GB usable VRAM on this card for ever! You can imagine this an an RAID 1 System. Sorry, no way.

But by the way: The nVidia 295 GTX which is said to have 1792 MB VRAM also only has 896 MB useable VRAM. It's the same thing with all Multi-GPU Graphics card. You cannot go and add the VRAM from all GPUs to one global VRAM. This is only done for marketing in the product description!

This card for example has really 2048 MB VRAM, because it's a single GPU card:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a409317.html

And this card has also really 1792 MB VRAM because it's single GPU card:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/?cat=gra16_...GeForce+GTX+275

Thanks for help.. I really appreciate it..

I'm wondering if I buy another 4870 but this time 2GB not X2.. the one you show me..

296specimage.jpg

http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/pr...d=296&grp=3

and use it with crossfire Ill get 2GB isn't it?

Do I get a better performance? or it will lower the performance because the second card is only ONE GBU?

The only way to really make benefit of an i7-965 for 1000 dollar over an i7-920 for 300 dollar is an extreme Water Cooling System.With Air cooling you will get 100-150 MHZ more as i would have been possible with an i7-920 in the end, and pay 700 dollars more for this. The best air coolers for 1366 are "Scythe Mugen 2" and "Noctua NH-U12P".

I'll check these coolers..

Next time, before you go to buy a new pc, please inform yourself in a forum! It's really important and people there would have said you that you could have saved really much money as for your i7-965! In the world of PC-Components you only get fooled and fooled by large numbers which don't give you any benefit!

I did do a quick research and I found that the fastest computer, as C-Net reviewed, is one with i7 Extreme and 3 SLI overclocked..

-> Alienware ALX X58 High Performance Gaming Desktop Computer:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/alienware...p;tag=mncol;lst

http://review.zdnet.com/product/desktops/a...mputer/33519511

http://www.alienware.com/customize/alx-x58...ode=SKU-DEFAULT

Also, Falcon Northwest Mach V (Intel Core i7-965 Extreme Edition):

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/falcon-no...l?tag=mncol;txt

So.. I did not do things irrationally.. I made my decision after a lot of thinking.

i know it is off topic, but i only wanted to help!

Keep it ALIVE!!

Thanks for help.. I really appreciate it..

I'm wondering if I buy another 4870 but this time 2GB not X2.. the one you show me..

296specimage.jpg

http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/pr...d=296&grp=3

and use it with crossfire Ill get 2GB isn't it?

Do I get a better performance? or it will lower the performance because the second card is only ONE GBU?

If you would by two HD4870 with each 2 GB VRAM you would have useable 2 GB VRAM under crossfire, BUT if you combine one with 2 GB and one with 1 GB ( or one with 2 GB, and two with 1 GB ) as it would be in your case with one HD4870x2 and one HD4870 you again only can use 1 GB VRAM! Keep in mind: In every VRAM the same data must be stored for crossfire! This is only possible if all cards have the same VRAM size. You can treat your HD4870X2 as two HD4870 with 1 GB VRAM. If you take a third HD4870 with 2 GB VRAM, how would it be possible to store the same data in all VRAMs if two only have 1 GB ?!? -> No way -> 1 GB useable VRAM!

If you would by two HD4870 with each 2 GB VRAM you would have useable 2 GB VRAM under crossfire, BUT if you combine one with 2 GB and one with 1 GB ( or one with 2 GB, and two with 1 GB ) as it would be in your case with one HD4870x2 and one HD4870 you again only can use 1 GB VRAM! Keep in mind: In every VRAM the same data must be stored for crossfire! This is only possible if all cards have the same VRAM size. You can treat your HD4870X2 as two HD4870 with 1 GB VRAM. If you take a third HD4870 with 2 GB VRAM, how would it be possible to store the same data in all VRAMs if two only have 1 GB ?!? -> No way -> 1 GB useable VRAM!

When I bought the video card I thought it is like a memory cards.. I can add more memory later..

I told my self.. If 2GB is not enough I'll add another card to make it 4GB..

It's a common mistake treating Graphics cards as RAM Memory cards.. (ADD MORE GET MORE).

1GB is not enough when using virtual machines.. multi OSs.. ( I Usually use mac with 3 XPs.. one for office uses.. one for internet and one for games.. PES2009 is playable perfectly via VM ).

• 3 months later...
The QE is working now for 4870X2..

I just installed my new 2nd 4870X2 hoping the CF will work here!!

Any luck with that? I've got a build in mind, and I wanted to use a pair of 4870x2's. I don't care for crossfire, but I want to know if they work separately (for 4 monitors). I'd save crossfire for my bootcamped Win7 for games.

• 9 months later...
Hey..

My Hackintosh is running with i7 extreme 3.2Ghz But the Graphics card is not working yet..

I'm thinking of using crossfire with 2 cards of 4870 X2 but I couldn't make the single one work for me..

SOME PARTS OF MY HACKINTOSH :D :

- CPU: Intel i7 Extreme 965 .

- Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-Extreme.

- Memory Model: OCZ3G1600LV6GK it's 3x2GB (I'll make it 24GB if I make the 6GB work as expected, and if I find 4GB single cards).

- Power supply: COOLMAX Green Power 950 Watt..

- Graphics Card: ATi Radeon HD 4870 X2 (Adding the second card soon if the first one work!).

can you please tell me what you have done to install snow leopard on you system?. i have gigabyte X58 extreme M/Board. whenever i try to boot with Chameleon 2.0. all it does is just reboots after a few seconds of loading.

thanks

Axion