Problem Fixed - Instant GSOD on running any virtual mahcines with Parallels or VMWARE.

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I just thought I'd add my 2c here :)

After installing Leo on a new computer (i7) I found I couldn't get any VM's to load at all... i tried vmware and parallels with all sorts of windows versions, wouldn't even start up.

After much tinkering around I found the problem... I was using a non-standard kernel (voodoo) which was named in a non-standard way, i.e. 'mach_kernel.voodoo' (apparently to stop updates from writing over the normal 'mach_kernel').

So i renamed it to mach_kernel, removed the line from my boot.plist with custom kernel name.... and now it works perfect.

hope this helps someone!

Cheers.

Hi, I just thought I'd add my 2c here :P

After installing Leo on a new computer (i7) I found I couldn't get any VM's to load at all... i tried vmware and parallels with all sorts of windows versions, wouldn't even start up.

After much tinkering around I found the problem... I was using a non-standard kernel (voodoo) which was named in a non-standard way, i.e. 'mach_kernel.voodoo' (apparently to stop updates from writing over the normal 'mach_kernel').

So i renamed it to mach_kernel, removed the line from my boot.plist with custom kernel name.... and now it works perfect.

hope this helps someone!

Cheers.

Thanks for the post. Your change is correct and is documented by the Voodoo team in their release notes.

firstly, you need to check your com.apple.Boot.plist file and make sure you know what kernel you are booting from. Depending on what boot loader you are using, this file can be in one of two places. If you are using a pre pc-efi9 boot, then your plist file will be in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

If you are using one of the newer loaders with the "Extra" folder... it will be in there... /Extra/

so in terminal:

Go to correct dir: (e.g. type: cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

press enter

type: sudo pico com.apple.boot.plist

press enter

type in password

press enter

now look for any lines in this file that say "<key>Kernel</key>"

under this there will be another line with the name of the kernel being used.. e.g. <string>mach_kernel.voodoo</string>

remove both of these lines (note on a piece of paper the name of the file that is used).

press ^x

press y

press enter

now type: cd /

enter

type: ls

enter

now you want backup your kernel, in case future updates overwrite it... if the name of your file we noted down earlier was voodoo.. then type:

sudo cp -R mach_kernel.voodoo Voodoo.backup

enter

(enter password if asked)

now backup any other mach_kernel that may be there (just in case) type: sudo mv mach_kernel mach_k.backup

enter

now rename your voodoo to be standard kernel osx will use, type: sudo mv mach_kernel.voodoo mach_kernel

enter

thats it! hopefully this guide is idiot proof... but I wrote it, so no guarantees! :hysterical:

firstly, you need to check your com.apple.Boot.plist file and make sure you know what kernel you are booting from. Depending on what boot loader you are using, this file can be in one of two places. If you are using a pre pc-efi9 boot, then your plist file will be in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

If you are using one of the newer loaders with the "Extra" folder... it will be in there... /Extra/

so in terminal:

Go to correct dir: (e.g. type: cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

press enter

type: sudo pico com.apple.boot.plist

press enter

type in password

press enter

now look for any lines in this file that say "<key>Kernel</key>"

under this there will be another line with the name of the kernel being used.. e.g. <string>mach_kernel.voodoo</string>

remove both of these lines (note on a piece of paper the name of the file that is used).

press ^x

press y

press enter

now type: cd /

enter

type: ls

enter

now you want backup your kernel, in case future updates overwrite it... if the name of your file we noted down earlier was voodoo.. then type:

sudo cp -R mach_kernel.voodoo Voodoo.backup

enter

now backup any other mach_kernel that may be there (just in case) type: sudo mv mach_kernel mach_k.backup

enter

now rename your voodoo to be standard kernel osx will use, type: sudo mv mach_kernel.voodoo mach_kernel

enter

thats it! hopefully this guide is idiot proof... but I wrote it, so no guarantees! :(

um how do you delete the text because in this step "remove both of these lines" because i have no idea

Thanks

you should probably not be attempting to use OSX86 if you dont know how to press the 'backspace' or 'del' button on your keyboard...

or alternatively if you read the instructions on your screen, down the bottom right of your screen (within the pico editor) it will tell you how to remove a whole line... press: Control+k to delete text.... Ctrl+k will remove a whole line of text.

you should probably not be attempting to use OSX86 if you dont know how to press the 'backspace' or 'del' button on your keyboard...

or alternatively if you read the instructions on your screen, down the bottom right of your screen (within the pico editor) it will tell you how to remove a whole line... press: Control+k to delete text.... Ctrl+k will remove a whole line of text.

backspace wasnt working for some reason