Wow with hackintosh

Splitix

10 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of getting ready to buy all my hackintosh parts. The only part I'm suck on is the video card.

I Need a video card that works smoothly on osx but yet is good enough to play games on vista.

I found this, the ATI 4870 1gb:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...51&CatId=28

The only game i plan on playing on the osx side is World of warcraft. Now I have been doing my research with it and found this long 30 page post about this card on the wow forums.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...1&pageNo=30

To sum it up, it basically says that people running windows vista ( At least that's what they say they are using) Are have very low FPS with this video card.

My Question is, is anyone using this card with osx and having trouble in wow?

They said that they found the problem and it should be fixed in the upcoming patch but you never know with Blizzard.

Thanks for your time

Splitix

Holy {censored} lastowl, you were pretty helpful at answering his question, because I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he asked.

Splitix I think you should be alright, I think its a windows driver issue. I see some people reporting good frames, they probably uninstalled/reinstalled video drivers properly or reformatted their system with the new hardware. The majority of people will just start up a new driver installation without properly uninstalling old drivers, which can lead to problems.

On the other hand, if its a WoW problem, 3.1 looks like its going to come out soon, so you can just wait till then if you haven't gotten it already (the video card) and see what people say.

Just make sure that card is Core Image/Quartz Extreme supported because I don't know if it is.

Hope this helps

@Princeofdarkness

Thanks for answering that. That was helpful. It looks like thats the card im going to get.

Just make sure that card is Core Image/Quartz Extreme supported because I don't know if it is.

Yeah it is. I read a guide on how to make it QE. I think i have a solid system now. Once i get all the parts, built and installed i'll post my spec and how well it works.

Thanks again

-splitix

suggesting a better card which should have less problems or gts 250 same card either can be flashed to become either

and the 9800gtx+ has zero problems with all the games i test so actually think i port games to mac i actually have a clue

• 2 weeks later...

Core Image/Quartz Extreme AND sound needs to work properly for WoW to even want to install. Had problems installing it at all before I managed to get my sound to work as well :gun: 3.1 patch is out of course, and so is 3.1.1 by now. I can say this. My brothers 4780 card with 2Gb 1066 Mhz ram memories is still lagging him in dalaran on a full server. ( Could be the lack of ram memory though even though he is running on Linux nowadays).

Just as the other people pointed out. as long as you have a fully working graphical drivers installed and fully supported graphical card with a fully working sound, WoW should not be a problem, but then again, depending on ammount of Ram and if your server that you play on is a full server you might experience some lagg for example in Dalaran.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4890 is the best...or tesla

For WOW, Nvidia 8800 GT runs just fine on my iPC (except some really weird problem with framerate becoming horrendous after a little over an hour of playtime for no reason, and only a reboot fixes it, I blame my install/lack of knowledge though).