How to speed up VMWARE response time?

5 posts in this topic

hey guys i've been wanting to develop with xcode on the OSX platform and can't afford to spend $1000 on new hardware.

i'm running OSX leopard via a vmware image(not sure what the exact name is as it doesn't say) and it works great, but the speed and response time is really slow. my PC is really old, an A64 3000+ with a gig of RAM so i tried OCing, but it's still really slow.

what would you guys recommend i do?

i'd love to have OSX running on its own partition, but so far i haven't found a distro that will boot up with my hardware.

thanks

hey guys i've been wanting to develop with xcode on the OSX platform and can't afford to spend $1000 on new hardware.

i'm running OSX leopard via a vmware image(not sure what the exact name is as it doesn't say) and it works great, but the speed and response time is really slow. my PC is really old, an A64 3000+ with a gig of RAM so i tried OCing, but it's still really slow.

what would you guys recommend i do?

i'd love to have OSX running on its own partition, but so far i haven't found a distro that will boot up with my hardware.

thanks

Get some more memory. You are probably paging and using the VMware swap file.

i checked that and the task manager says i'm only using 550mb of memory or there abouts.

forgot to mention it takes a while to close as well.

VMware manages the guest memory directly and uses its own swap system. Don't take the task manger figures as particularly useful in virtualization. My guest Mac OS X has 2GB virtual memory assigned to it and 3Gb of physical memory in the host. This is the sort of level you will need to get a good response from the guest OS for Leopard.