Updated to 10.4.6 , backed up extensions but now doesn't boot with them restored

OzOSX86

8 posts in this topic

Last week I installed the jas 10.4.6 update onto my main 10.4.5 install. I took the advice I'd read and backed up the working extensions from 10.4.5 as well. The update was fine, except for it wiping out my Macvidia drivers. So I then overwrote the 10.4.6 extensions with the backed up 10.4.5 ones but the system now hangs on bootup, even with permissions repaired.

What have I done wrong with it? I'm going to install 10.4.6 over my other PCs 10.4.5 install and re-copy the 10.4.6 extensions over to the laptop install and start again, with the drivers that is.

BTW, any flavour of boot now fails...

Ahh, the old kextcache. Got me there. Ok now I really suck with command line in Darwin. Can someone step me through the process please? I can do it in terminal thanks to cut and paste, but lose it with Darwin.

Try the following, you are probably in root mode, if not, you need to put sudo in front of the commands.

cd /System/Library

rm Extensions.kextcache

rm Extensions.mkext

reboot

Hope that helps

Try the following, you are probably in root mode, if not, you need to put sudo in front of the commands.

cd /System/Library

rm Extensions.kextcache

rm Extensions.mkext

reboot

Hope that helps

looks like it's worse than I thought I can't even get to command line booting with -s. It stops at the error: error loading com.apple.extensions.hpet. Am I stuck now or what. I really don't want to re-install as I've now got quite a lot a apps installed that I'd have to re-install...

No go with -v -f either. I get: still waiting for boot device.

Disregard the previous error message about loading com.apple. etc, as I was using a completely different PC to my normal 2 that boot this install.

Edit: I've made some progress by re-installing the 10.4.6 update on to broken install from inside my other working install. Now I just have to get past and issue with "flushing the disk cache result in 0x5" that keeps repeating and doesn't quite finish the startup. I tried -x and -v -f but they didn't help. Am not going to try disc repair and repairing permissions via the disk util on the install DVD.

Edit: yep that did the trick. Just have chmod and chown all the drivers and we should be all good.