Bluetooth Dongle Help

DMP

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm running Kalyway10.5.5 , all is good. I recently purchased a cheap generic bluetooth dongle from ebay to enable my phone to connect to osx via isync. Anyway, the dongle works fine in vista, but does not want to play in leopard. In system profiler the dongle is listed under the USB heading and is identified as bluetooth usb dongle.

The device is not detected by leopard. If i attempt to boot the system with the dongle in a usb port the system freezes and i am given a blank black screen.

I have trawled through the existing posts to find a solution, but alas i have came up empty handed.

If anyone out there could help i'd appreciate it.

Dave

:(

Hi All,

I'm running Kalyway10.5.5 , all is good. I recently purchased a cheap generic bluetooth dongle from ebay to enable my phone to connect to osx via isync. Anyway, the dongle works fine in vista, but does not want to play in leopard. In system profiler the dongle is listed under the USB heading and is identified as bluetooth usb dongle.

The device is not detected by leopard. If i attempt to boot the system with the dongle in a usb port the system freezes and i am given a blank black screen.

I have trawled through the existing posts to find a solution, but alas i have came up empty handed.

If anyone out there could help i'd appreciate it.

Dave

:D

Unless you can give some specific hardware info on the dongle you bought I am not sure how much help I can be. I have tried 2 different bluetooth dongles (both were under $20) and both worked the moment I plugged them in. I have tried the Targus bluetooth adapter and the Jabra A320s.

For syncing your phone both of these should work fine for you. I will give you one caveat though. OS X seems to have BIG time issues with using a bluetooth headset. Headphones work fine, but if you are planning to use a bluetooth headset (phones + mic) for something like iChat or Skype forget about it. You will be freezing so much you will think you moved to Antarctica. These does not seem to be a hackintosh issue as the Mac support boards are full of people with the same complaints on all different types of true Macs. Hopefully this is something that will finally be addressed in Snow Leopard. From my understanding it seems this problem has existed since 10.5.1 and has actually gotten progressively worse with each new release.

Thanks errandwolfe for the reply,

I have decided to do what i should have done initially and that is to buy a dlink dbt 120 . I have read on many posts that these work ootb and should not cause any problems.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...