Waiting for root/Doesn't Detect IDE Drives

bptba93

6 posts in this topic

I have a ASUS M3A78-EM motherboard with a 250 gb sATA HD, DVD-RW sATA Drive, and two 40 GB IDE Hard drives. I want to install OS X (LawlessPPC Phenom Version 10.5.4?) on one of the 40 gig drives. When I normally boot the DVD, I get a infamous "Still Waiting for root device" error. But when I change the sATA setup in my BIOS to AHCI, the installer boots but in the disk manager thing in the installer doesn't show my two IDE drives, but does show both of my sATA drives. Which would be easier? Fix the Still Waiting for root device error, or somehow get my IDE drives to show up when in AHCI mode?(They might still not show up in normal sata, even if i do fix the waiting for root device error?)

*bump*

Hi m8 I am a newbie and have asked the same question . dont hold your breath for a response as it seems not forthcoming on this forum. If it helps, my problem was my dvd drive was set as a slave. it needs to be set as master. that fixed mine

Have you tried to disconnect your SATA hard disk and DVD drive and use an IDE DVD drive? That should allow you to install OSX?

With mine, I had to disconnect SATA discs at first, and solely use IDE - if you have one channel, HDD as master, DVD as slave, or if you have two channels, HDD as master on 1, DVD as master on 2.

No I hadn't tried that Nick. I'll try unplugging all my SATA drives and just use IDE, maybe that'll fix it.

Hard drive as master and cd drive as slave still results in a waiting for root device error. Trying them in switched places no. I've also experience this with this forum... I've been here for a while. Ok it's booting now....I still get the error I'm gonna go check my bios real quick to make sure they are set right.

Posted from my iPhone.

This is a single channel IDE motherboard btw.

I'm gonna try just my cd drive now and see if it will boot