After Quicktime 7.6 or iLife 09 install, cannot boot.

5 posts in this topic

I just can't leave well enough alone. I had me a perfectly stable 10.5.6 install (twice now) and just HAD to get what I feel are Mac-essential programs. Unfortunately, both these programs, iLife 09 and Quicktime 7.6, require a restart as they install something that borks my setup (replicated this error once with each program). Image attached:

post-395533-1237552642_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the poor angle, but the "bad stuff" still shows. These programs seem to initiate some unresolvable I/O error, so I can't even boot. Here are my system specs:

Intel Core2Duo 6750 at stock speed

EVGA nforce 650i mobo

4gb Ram (attempted boot using maxmem=2048 cpus=1 to be safe)

Vooodoo 9.5 beta 2 kernel

Nforce fixes compiled by Mysticus implemented in this case (nforceATA, nforceLAN et al). I've tried disconnecting all USB devices to no avail. Has anyone seen this before?

I just can't leave well enough alone. I had me a perfectly stable 10.5.6 install (twice now) and just HAD to get what I feel are Mac-essential programs. Unfortunately, both these programs, iLife 09 and Quicktime 7.6, require a restart as they install something that borks my setup (replicated this error once with each program). Image attached:

post-395533-1237552642_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the poor angle, but the "bad stuff" still shows. These programs seem to initiate some unresolvable I/O error, so I can't even boot. Here are my system specs:

Intel Core2Duo 6750 at stock speed

EVGA nforce 650i mobo

4gb Ram (attempted boot using maxmem=2048 cpus=1 to be safe)

Vooodoo 9.5 beta 2 kernel

Nforce fixes compiled by Mysticus implemented in this case (nforceATA, nforceLAN et al). I've tried disconnecting all USB devices to no avail. Has anyone seen this before?

Can you boot into safe mode ? (-x) It does look like usb issues

I'm an idiot...didn't even know how to boot into safe mode! :) I have to run to work, but I'll give a report later. Any chance a safe mode boot could cause OS X to do logical repairs on itself as Windows might do?

By the way, seriously appreciate the help. I'd heard some "NMA" type things about this board, but I'm glad those voices seem to have been proven wrong.

I realized I had a couple of minutes...enough to discover that it's an ixnay on the afemode-say. The panic happens very shortly after the initialization process, just after the loading data changes to the smaller Darwin format.

I'm not against re-installing again, if I can avoid this in the future. I'm not sure why the heck these programs need new USB formats anyway...

I'm an idiot...didn't even know how to boot into safe mode! :( I have to run to work, but I'll give a report later. Any chance a safe mode boot could cause OS X to do logical repairs on itself as Windows might do?

By the way, seriously appreciate the help. I'd heard some "NMA" type things about this board, but I'm glad those voices seem to have been proven wrong.

I realized I had a couple of minutes...enough to discover that it's an ixnay on the afemode-say. The panic happens very shortly after the initialization process, just after the loading data changes to the smaller Darwin format.

I'm not against re-installing again, if I can avoid this in the future. I'm not sure why the heck these programs need new USB formats anyway...

Ya boot into safe mode and try to repair permissions

Ya boot into safe mode and try to repair permissions

Afraid I can't boot into safe mode. :) I would repair permissions after installing one of these programs, but they install on their own and restart immediately after. Is there a way to avoid a problem like this before it starts? I'm not sure why Quicktime or iLife need to modify system resources, so is there a way to block them from doing so?