properly installing networkcard kext

supergnu

13 posts in this topic

Hi!

I've got two MacOS installations: 1: Kalyway 10.5.2, 2: Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.6 with combo updater

on the first one, internet is working fine. on the second one, no network card is displayed in 'about this mac'

My Mobo has got a realtek RTL 8111D network adapter

So i checked the Kalyway 10.5.2's extension folder and found the RealtekR1000.kext in Extensions/IONetworkfamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

I tried to copy those drivers to my 10.5.6 installation this way:

1. i copied whole content of Extensions/IONetowrkFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins to the same folder on the 10.5.6 installation.

2. i used repair permissions on the disk of 10.5.6

3. i deleted the extensions.mktext file

but now when i restart 10.5.6 i get the following error message:

"System Extension can not be used. The system extension System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/RealtekR1000.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. please try reinstalling it.

What can I do?

Thank you!

Now I used OSxTools to install the complete IONetworkFamily.kext from the kalyway 10.5.2 disk to the 10.5.6 disk. now i don't get this error message anymore, but there is still no network card present in 10.5.6

what could be the reason that it is working in 10.5.2 but not in 10.5.6 do I need to perform any additional steps besides installing the .kext?

thanks for the help!

Hi!

I've got two MacOS installations: 1: Kalyway 10.5.2, 2: Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.6 with combo updater

on the first one, internet is working fine. on the second one, no network card is displayed in 'about this mac'

So i checked the Kalyway 10.5.2's extension folder and found the RealtekR1000.kext in Extensions/IONetworkfamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

1. i copied whole content of Extensions/IONetowrkFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins to the same folder on the 10.5.6 installation.

"System Extension can not be used. The system extension System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/RealtekR1000.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. please try reinstalling it.

What can I do?

Thank you!

I would get the driver directly from Psystar's website it is under the Open Source link last time I got it then put it on a usb stick to take too this computer to install, while your at it if you have problems with the shutdown/restart grab the OpenHaltRestart.kext as well for installation.

Hi!

I already tried this, but with no success. Could the reason be something else than using the wrong kext?

I use the same kext that works just fine under 10.5.2

it also seems to be loaded. if i use kextload RealtekR1000.kext in the terminal, it tells me that it was loaded already.

What else could cause the Ethernet adapter not to appear in the 'about this mac' system overview?

thanks!

I found a difference!

if i use "kextload RealtekR1000.kext" when logged into 10.5.2, i get the message:

kextload: extension is already loaded

if i do the same in 10.5.6 i get this messages:

/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Unsupported: Undefined in symbol set: _sha1_hardware_hook

maybe someone understands what this could mean?? what exactly is unsupported and why? thanks!!

I found a difference!

if i use "kextload RealtekR1000.kext" when logged into 10.5.2, i get the message:

if i do the same in 10.5.6 i get this messages:

/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Unsupported: Undefined in symbol set: _sha1_hardware_hook

maybe someone understands what this could mean?? what exactly is unsupported and why? thanks!!

Not sure what you have going on there here is my copy of it that I have just zipped up give it a try.

RealtekR1000.kext.zip

Not sure what you have going on there here is my copy of it that I have just zipped up give it a try.

hi! it's the same version i use too - 1.8.1 - may I ask what OS X version you have it run on? and what exact LAN chip?

Yes - everything is turned on!

If i boot OS X 10.5.2, network is working flawlessly!

using the same driver in 10.5.6: nothing! there doesn't even appear a networkcard under 'about this mac' -> 'more info...' -> 'Network

hi! it's the same version i use too - 1.8.1 - may I ask what OS X version you have it run on? and what exact LAN chip?

Retail install the 8111C version of the chip and the only reason I need the driver is for Bonjour to work otherwise it works out of the box with the built-in OS X driver.

Retail install the 8111C version of the chip and the only reason I need the driver is for Bonjour to work otherwise it works out of the box with the built-in OS X driver.

which built in OS X driver do you mean? can you tell me the kext name? maybe i get this one to work for me...

which built in OS X driver do you mean? can you tell me the kext name? maybe i get this one to work for me...

Been a while but I think it just said 8169 net card when booting as it brought it up and it loaded something like that anyways, I just looked in the Extensions directory and there is nothing named like that in there so it is probably contained in the IONetworkingFamily.kext. I would get a knoppix disk or even install the lspci built for OS X to get your PC/Vendor ID to make sure it is contained in the Info.plist of the R1000 if not put it in and see if it will work that is all that is usually wrong with these things working most times it is not like the manufacturers make a lot of changes in the chips to make them incompatible between the version so good chance that will do it.

• 10 months later...
Dude I've been saying this from the start I can't start my own thread this stupid site tells me i'm not in a thread and I can't start nothing.. I know how to post on forums and it isn't letting me.. So Copy and paste it for me and make one because nothing is working... all i can do is fast reply

You are past 5 posts now. You should now be able to post/start topics...

Hi!

What can I do?

Thank you!

Use osx86tools or kext helper to install kexts in future. Kext utility works well aswell. These will corectley repair permissions and so forth