Complete Nonsense!

Pink Waters

12 posts in this topic

Here is the situation.

recently when I am browsing the web or watching videos on youtube, the internet gets slower over time, and page loading takes longer, but still can access the routers interface (192.168.1.1) and it loads up fine, so to be able to get the web loading fast again I have to change my static ip address and the problem is solved untill it get slower again, and etc..etc.

Yesterday, I was unable to load any web pages, so i tried to login to the router (192.168.1.1) and it didn't load!. so i changed my static ip address as usual, but it does not help!. all i've noticed is that if i change the ip address a couple of times in a row, and try to load the router interface page, it starts opeinging it and stalls without complete loading it, and i cannot load it anymore!

so i restarted leopard and it was the same issue!

the Funny thing is:

I opened virtual box (similar to vmware fusion) and i was setting the virtual lan in it as a host interface( so it gets its own ip on the network as a second pc, not through NAT) and opened internet explorer, and I was shocked the internet was working and better than ever worked on leopard natively!!!

everything working fine!

i checked back in leopard and still not working.

SO the issue was that the internet working very fine through Virtual machine interface, but not natively on leopard!!

Complete nonsense that stalled me for about 1 min! :)

so i was not able to get network back then, and went to sleep, and i woke up and found the internet working back as normal!

can anyone help getting any sense behind that? except paranormal sense ofcourse :D

• 4 weeks later...
Hmm, can you still ping a website after the problem occurs? If yes, then what is the response time and package loss?

Thanks for your reply,.

well it depends..

sometimes when this problem happens I cannot even log in to the router gateway. in this situation I cannot ping neither the router nor any website.. its gives time out.

and sometimes when this problem happens and I try to change my static IP it allows me to log in to the router gateway but it loads slowly then it gets chocked or something, cause it does not continue loading it.. , the only way i can load the router gateway again is to change the ip again so it gives me a few seconds to load it in safari. in this situation i remember trying to ping a web site and it gave me like 90% packet loss

hope I was clear explaining.

It does sound like you have some sort of serious problem (maybe kext related?) but you could try lowering your MTU value (in steps of 8 bits) in your network preferences pane (under Advanced/Ethernet) in order to decrease the data package size and avoid lag. Lower it to something like 1484 and see if the problem persists.

You can also try setting your card speed manually.

Ok, i will try that,..

but I was just wondering, if it was a MTU problem, how would virtualbox windows guest would have internet access ?!

I think host interface mode which i set my virtual box networking to use it, is just to make that windows guest present itself as a physical IP on the network, (not through nat). so virtualbox is using my current interface in OSX to access the internet. so how could there be internet in VM and not in the host mac os x!!

thats really driving me nuts

Ok, i will try that,..

but I was just wondering, if it was a MTU problem, how would virtualbox windows guest would have internet access ?!

I think host interface mode which i set my virtual box networking to use it, is just to make that windows guest present itself as a physical IP on the network, (not through nat). so virtualbox is using my current interface in OSX to access the internet. so how could there be internet in VM and not in the host mac os x!!

thats really driving me nuts

Well, not necessarily. Windows has its own individual MTU setting stored in the registry file for each network adapter.

that makes sense.

and by the way i noticed that when i lowered my MTU to 1484, the web browsing takes a couple of seconds more to start loading than usual, or maybe browsing went slower..iam not sure but, is that normal ?

also, never had dropout till now... i will keep you posted if it happened again.

really, thanks for ur time.

that makes sense.

and by the way i noticed that when i lowered my MTU to 1484, the web browsing takes a couple of seconds more to start loading than usual, or maybe browsing went slower..iam not sure but, is that normal ?

also, never had dropout till now... i will keep you posted if it happened again.

really, thanks for ur time.

Hmm, there really shouldn't be any noticeable delay. You could experiment by raising the value to 1492.

Cheers,

hecker