Forum Suggestions-New Ideas-Standardized Builds

5 posts in this topic

I'm no stranger to macs or PCs. I haven't built a pc, but I was a system admin guy for years with macs, long enough to know my way around. (I've installed a few NIC cards in PC's. Fun. Not.) The idea of building a Hackintosh really appeals to me on many levels, but the more I look into it, the more my little voice just screams "Run Awayyyyyyyyy!"

There is no clear anything on these boards. Unless of course, your a complete tech head. I once thought I might want to be, but after several years of more frustration, I am now a carpenter. (That wall I built in the morning? Still there after lunch! Didn't just disappear. Tools are still sharp! Didn't change the spec or concept of how to build a wall overnight, either! Get my drift?)

I want simple. No headaches.

Why not start a section for the complete neophytes that is easy to understand. Now, before you tech guys jump on me, LISTEN!

I've got OSX86. I've got Ideneb. I've got Kalyway. I've even got a guy in Toronto (www.maxsmart.ca) who tells me he's building PC's that will boot of the retail leopard disk without a "Hack". What's the difference? What do each do for me? Which one is easier to handle?

And then we can start with the hardware. Avast the rudder and hoist the oars. Zzzzzz-zzzzzzz.

You know what? I don't care!

I just want to get me a list of parts, known that work well together (yeah, you can pick your own amounts of RAM, Drive, Case, et cetera) without sorting and searching through reams of technobabble and verbiage, from a reputable supplier, based upon the concept of an entry level Mac Pro, and Intermediate Speed Mac and a Scorcher, with simple instructions, no headaches, a couple of beers later and I've got a $5000 machine for about $1200.

Assembling a PC is no problem. I can do that. Making sure I've got the right parts, that will be hassle-free... Not so sure. You guys can fix this.

Standardize a system based upon 3 models. Should be that hard now should it?

You guys are the tech geeks, I mean gods. This is not much to ask. How about a forum where you post a list of parts, with the purchase place, id est, Tiger Direct, a complete package for the neophytes and those who just aren't that into it, squabble over the best build and type it up?! 3 machines, no screwing around. Done.

Guys like me, might even donate! We won't shut up about the site and how easy it was to build, if indeed you guys can do this! You sure would attact a whole heckovalotta people like this.

How about it?

Shouldn't be that hard.

Herkimer Jerkimer

InsanelyMac is taking in a motherload of information by way of the OSx86 Database (that icon right of the titlebar). That's getting the communities insights on all manner of hardware devices compatibilty. When this information is collated and presented back to the community (God only knows when) then hopefully that will provide the fine detail thats required to get a system build "right the first time"

Really the first question should be: What OSx86 distribution do I want to use. There are a bunch of people out there building distros (as you have mentioned a couple) and they're built for specific systems. So if there were to be standardised builds, who's build will we standardise around?

And my third point: I just stumbled across a brilliant overview in the Genius Bar: its called "The Newbies FAQ to Mac OSx86, Newbies should read this" at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89659. Now you may have already read this, but there is a generalised hardware standard you can follow there, the brand of each component really doesn't matter, many people have their favourite copmuter brands, just as a car enthusiast wouldn't be caught dead in anything but their own favourite make. I've been using OSx86 for 18 months, and my bro has been into the scene for well over two years, and I still found pcwiz's FAQ there refreshing to read.

My advise for jumping into building a system now, look at the New Releases section, pull up the post about a particular distribution, and see what the authors system is. see what the other people in the threads system specs are, it's often in their signiture, and get an idea that way, have a computer stores parts pricelist open and highlight the pieces specified. Then fill in the gaps to create a working system.

But I will echo the sentiment: A section on InsanelyMac, with our own codenamed "systems" that support can be provided for that codenamed system, specifically and without misunderstanding, that would be grand. I would say in the efforts to make the scene diverse, have each OSx86 distribution author to create their own codenamed system build that they want to support, and limit the build specs upgrades to once every 6 or 12 months. Allow people to settle on a build and be happy with that spec. Three Models of each flavour distribution would be worthy, some people have more money to spend than others.

but... will it blend?

I certainly hope so.

If you can't make the effort to learn about computer hardware and some of the inner workings of software, then you don't deserve to have a working hackintosh! Go buy a real Mac, and give us all a break.

If you can't make the effort to learn about computer hardware and some of the inner workings of software, then you don't deserve to have a working hackintosh! Go buy a real Mac, and give us all a break.

The idea is an example of a dumbing down of the consumers awareness of what goes into this place. We should know what the system we are installing the OS over, and have a full awareness of the lengths that are required to get to it. But sometimes I would like to know what I could be building that's better, reset my ideas, and a central repository of that kind of knowledge could be a set of standard builds.

Dumbing down consumer awareness is something for the corporate world, not for the hack' community, you're right.