ALC888 will not work, please help

diobrando0486

9 posts in this topic

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me, or even just point me in the right direction. I have a gigabyte EP45-DS3L board, intel ICH10, ALC888 audio. I used iPC 10.5.6 to install, everything is working fine except for sound. I've tried several different kexts and I tried the AppleHDA patcher with a codec dump from a linux live cd where the sound works fine.

Anyone else with this board gotten the sound working? Is there any other option I can try. Even basic 2 channel stereo would be fine. Thanks.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me, or even just point me in the right direction. I have a gigabyte EP45-DS3L board, intel ICH10, ALC888 audio. I used iPC 10.5.6 to install, everything is working fine except for sound. I've tried several different kexts and I tried the AppleHDA patcher with a codec dump from a linux live cd where the sound works fine.

Anyone else with this board gotten the sound working? Is there any other option I can try. Even basic 2 channel stereo would be fine. Thanks.

Have you tried Taruga's AppleHDA patcher with linux codec dump?

Thanks, I'll try these.

In my original post I mentioned I tried this. I used version 1.2.0 if that makes any difference, it came with the iPC disc.

I had problems with the kexts on the iPC disk. Analog Line Out would work, but it would disappear when I rebooted. This solution fixed it up and even optical SPDIF works. The only kind of weird thing is that Line Out is listed as "Internal Speaker." Mic jack input works, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all... I've been floating around, doing a bunch of searches on the forums, chatting in the irc chat(s), and to no avail really. I have an EVGA 730i Motherboard (113-YW-E115) that has ALC888 analog outputs/inputs (6 jacks total), as well as SPDIF, Optical audio, and HDMI audio outputs. I also have a front panel that has a headphone and mic jack. I tried using the 1.6.2a37 888.zip with mixed results.

There is no audio input or output at all, but I have info in System Profiler for a Microphone, a Line In, a Headphone, Speaker, three Line Outs, and an SPDIF In and Out. my device id is 0x38421006 in System Profiler, but from Everest in Windows 7, it reports it as being three different devices: an nVIDIA MCP79/7A with Device ID of 10DE-0AC0 and Subsystem ID of 3843-1006, an nVIDIA HDMI with Device ID of 10DE-0007 and Subsystem ID of 10DE-0101, and a Realtek ALC888/1200 with Device ID of 10EC-0888 and Subsystem ID of 10EC-0000.

I have tried AppleAzalia with no success, even adding in my own device id's, I have tried FrodoKenny's AppleHDA.kext + HDAEnabler.kext, as well as the 1.5.7a24 and 1.6.2a37 888.zip ones, the Taruga 888 add0 and add2 ones, and a handful of others that have been suggested to me. only FrodoKenny's and the 1.6.2a37 ones have yielded any results whatsoever in adding devices and having something show up in System Preferences. I even get a volume adjuster icon in the menu bar, but no volume comes out. I also get pops upon booting, and when deleting AppleHDA.kext from /s/l/e/ when using the 1.6.2a37 kexts.

I realize that there have been others before with similar (or the exact same) hardware, and that they somehow got it fixed, but I seem to be at a loss here. I've tried booting up a couple linux livecds and neither will bring up any kind of audio, so I can't really do a dump from them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about my audio, or what kext(s) to use?

Sincerely,

MonkeyJamboree

@MonkeyJamboree

I have same exact motherboard

See my signature for some details

I have tried to work on this for 2 months plus, with lots of help from tmongkol, the many hours of reading and trying different verbs, kexts, linux dumps, vista registry dumps etc etc

the link to tmongkol's thread is here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941 BUT READ BELOW FIRST

I have had 'dozens' of kexts and verbs combos which I have tried from some of same threads you mention, others edited by others trying to help me, etc.

I am doing this from memory but I think the SECOND hardware address you refer to (multimedia device ? is the ROOT motherboard chipset address for the Multimedia Device (can see it a boot listing text in black screen before getting to the AHCI boot etc. in this system)

ONLY thing I have been able to get to work for me is Audio OUT two different methods

Method 1 Azalia Audio (Analog audio out, very high quality sound in my setup) from the rear connector1

search for this under my name, I posted some 'early' super noob posts a couple of months ago describing how to do this ... you may already know about this, in that case, my apologies for wasting your time

see this link if desired .. for azalia audio out ... there are many others who have posted this type fix, and I cannot recall who figured it out a long time ago, so sorry about not giving credit .. or you can also see the link in my signature below ... second topic down when you get there

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t149712.html

method described in codebox How To Get AppleAzaliaAudio WorkingNvidia Nforce 730i Chipset Motherboard near bottom of thread

Method 2 ... suggested by diabolik replying to one of my questions in thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=0#entry1100075

using some of frodokenny's files DIGITAL OUT ONLY works FANTASTIC sound quality, from the RCA Coax dIGITAL out spdif connector in the rear panel also ( I assume the Optical OUt would also work but have not tried but see light flashes etc. if I open optical cover)

I posted a snippet on this in a thread where I posted many many noob posts and requests for help in tmongkol's thread about the ALC889 ... sometime in the last month ... you can go to that thread ... It was using something originally from frodokenny, and to best recollection, required using Taruga patcher method .. ... I am attaching what (I think ..) is the kext in use on my hackintosh (not home so not able to send you it) but will try here AppleHDA.kext.zip

again see this link given by diabolik, the specific area you will have to find, i think again frodokenny within there in the udhfa thread ...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=0#entry1100075

i think http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=148416

Sorry to be vague but that is best I can do right now ... you can PM me is you need to and later when I get home (if neither of above solutions are satisfactory ... then sorry that is the best I have been able to do ... only stereo out, one analog (azalia) the other Digital.

Also, if you come up with other solutions that allow other functionality would appreciate you keeping me in loop. tmongkol is trying to help with this still and working on it with other tools

BTW what video are you using on the 730i NForce motherboard? (onboard or addon pciex or pci?)

Good luck

also

When I extract 1.6.2a37_888.zip there are 2 folders: 1.6.2a37_888 and _MACOSX. In 1.6.2a37_888 there are 2 files: AppleHDA.kext and HDAenabler.kext. In _MACOSX there is folder 1.6.2a37_888 and in it there are 2 files: AppleHDA.kext and HDAenabler.kext. What I must do with theese ? Please help because I dont know what I must do with that files.

Sorry for my bad english.