DV6000z (almost) Fully working (and fairly stable)

apocolipse269

1 post in this topic

Hey guys, after a week of forum trolling 12 hours/day and after about 40 installs ( yeah heh ) i managed to get 10.5.5 up and running very nicely (too scared to update to 10.5.6). I started with leo4allv4.1 (10.5.4)

Here's my hardware

HP Pavillion DV6000z CTO

AMD Turion TL-56 1.80 GHZ

nForce chipset motherboard

Broadcom BCM43xx wireless (not currently working in my setup, i have an external wireless, more below)

nVidia Geforce go 7200 w/ 256mb dedicated vram (NOT SHARED, most 7200's have shared, but CTO dv6000z's had dedicated, not sure what production model had it as well but some dv6*** series amd notebooks have dedicated)

external HWUN2 USB (RT2870 chipset) wireless.

Working:

Processor

motherboard chipset

Geforce go 7200 - no QE/CI support but full 1280x800 works (after a lot of trouble but i'll detail here easy fix)

Not Working/Havent Tested fully:

onboard ethernet (nforce kext's available though i have managed to get it working as in kext installs and system reboots fine, i have not tested ethernet as my usb wireless works fine)

BCM43xx - With drivers from install disk (leo4allv4.1) the bcm43xx works, but doesnt work. what i mean is that the airport isnt on, but it isnt off either (or is it both?! not sure, noted by the "pink" indicator LED, yes pink, apparently orange LED ON + Blue LED ON = Pink LED)

There are kext's for this, AppleAPIC.kext (and another) that i have found to hang my system when i install them. Havent bothered with them since install #5)

Sleep/Hibernate/Restart/Screensaver cause problems recommended not to use

(as in dont ever "restart" your computer, it will hang and you will have to hard boot, simply shut it down and you'll be good)

Ok, on to the install. First off, there's a weird quirk/trick for this notebook that can be remedied in a few ways. The first is it wont boot any mac os boot.plist unless one of the following is done.

-Least troublesome

Enter your bios and set a boot (not BIOS, a boot) password

-Most Troublesome (and easiest?)

Just press ESC each boot and select boot device

These apply to booting the installation DVD and your installation once its installed

To load the leo4all DVD (or any DVD distro really) there's an extremly weird quirk, leo4all will load about 1/2 the time with the "trick", but almost never with out it.

First note you NEED a USB mouse and keyboard, sorry here but may be fixes in the future (i'll update when i get all {censored} working, if someone has similar hardware please enlighten me :D )

Start w/ the kbd unplugged and the mouse plugged in.

1. Power on

2. Esc at boot and select DVD

3. F8, enter -v boot option, press enter

4. About 4-5 seconds after you press enter plug in the keyboard (this is weirdest/hardest part, timing is somewhat important, play around with it if your boot hangs)

Once the gui has loaded, select your language, and press continue. Go to Disk Utilities and partition your disk appropriately to HFS (Journaled), for security options select Zero Out Data. Once partitioning has finished exit Disk Utility.

Back to the install gui select the partition where you will be installing OS X, press next.

Select Customize, and then choose the following options

- No language packs

- Chipset

---- NForce Test

---- VIA SIS Marvell & SB Chipset Driver (not sure if necessary)

- Audio

---- AzaliaAudio

- Graphics (NO DRIVERS SELECTED) - None of the options work for the GeForce Go 7200

- Network

---- Broadcom

- Remove Firewire

- "About this Mac"

- StageXNU kernel

- SMBIOS - Netkas

- ACPIPlatform 1.1.0

- EFI Bootloader

Click done when finished, then click install. Note: If you've installed with the disk previously and the disk check was good, you can skip it on future installs (unless it gets all scrached up and what not, then check it i guess :P)

Once the installation has competed restart your computer. LEAVE KBD PLUGGED IN. Its alright now :)

Now press ESC and select your HDD to boot. for first boot (and all testing/driver install boots) always use -v so's you can see where it hangs. use -f to force reloading kexts if you've installed new kexts.

Now, if all went well you should have OS X running :D

(side note, other people with this same nforce chipset on dv6*** models claim the boot flags "idlehalt=0 cpus=2" being added to the boot.plist helps, i've not found it to make any difference on my specific hardware)

As for other hardware:

Wireless - if you happen to have an external usb wireless (i have a HWUN2) check and see if they're are already mac drivers (HWUN2 has manufacturer drivers and software utilites, i recommend it if you have $70 to spare, 2 anteanna connectors for great improvement :D )

The broadcom hardware i have not yet got working.

Nvidia Geforce Go 7200 256mb vram -

There are many choices here which made this a tough one to get goin. most noteably are nvdarwin, nvkush, nvinject(go). The one that (eventually) works is the nvinjectgo. however the pain is getting it set up. the easiest way (i found after many installs/trials, this is what caused me a lot of re-installs) is nvinstaller. now dont go get it jsut yet, get the 9f23 package from the nvinstaller page (google nvinstaller, you'll find it). The automated setup installs nvinject go and adds your hardware string to the info.plist :D. one problem though...it only works in safemode. to fix this you need to go to /System/Library/Extensions/nvinjectgo.ktext/ edit info.plist (not with text editor, use a plist editor that will save changes to extensions folder) and scroll to the bottom. There you will see

OSBundleRequired

SafeBoot

change the string "SafeBoot" to "Root" and it will work fine.

IF YOU DONT DO THIS BOOTING WITHOUT THE -X FLAG WILL CAUSE A BLACK SCREEN

(booting with the -x flag will boot to a nice fixed resolution though :D, but fix it cuz then you dont need -x and you get the nice resolution)

NOTE: Dont be disuaded by slow boot times and a "Blue(grayish)" screen when you boot, it'll come up.

To Top it off:

Installed latest XNU Voodoo kernel (google XNU voodoo, downlad the .dmg installer from them), works fine with this install

-updated to 10.5.5

google leo4all update 10.5.5 amd, you should find the site w/ the download. updating DOES NOT modify your kernel or kexts

ok all in all i'm satisfied so far, managed to install the iPhone SDK (reason i came to OSx86), info on how to do that:

download, install, BEFORE YOU REBOOT, open finder and look for CHUN removal tool, gets all the CHUN stuff off which causes boot problems on AMD machines

any questions or additions please post